The Campaign to Eliminate Older Couriers

vantexan

Only delayed. I only wish I had taken pictures of them (the trailers). Air-only, with no ability to carry bulk Ground at all because it was a fixed-roller system (not retractable). The implications seem pretty obvious.

If they do move P2 to Ground they'd just about have to do things in advance like consolidating routes. Sort of like what they did with my loop in the last 2 weeks. And they'd probably want to keep it quiet until the last possible minute. They'd also have to tell the Ground contractors in advance as they'd most likely have to hire extra drivers and realign routes. So even if they keep it quiet most likely we could see it coming. If they start consolidating more loops and stop hiring then something big must be coming, especially if the economy is improving. Without those indicators I'd say we're safe.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Remember that scene from Police Squad? It PROVES it!!

It proves you are on here just to discredit anyone who won't toe the company line. If one were to review all of your posts, you'd see continuous support for almost all FedEx policies and procedures. Perhaps you'd like to comment on the 2 age discrimination cases?

10-27

If they move P2 to ground? Its already happening partner! This valentines we didnt have near the volume we have had in the past. In a morning meeting our senior manager told the workgroup that most of Pro Flowers has moved over to ground since they can get stuff usually delivered overnight within a 500 mile radius. He also said more volume would be switched to ground in the coming months as there infrastructure will be able to handle more next day and 2 day stuff. Straight from or Senior Managers mouth!

bbsam

Staff member
If they do move P2 to Ground they'd just about have to do things in advance like consolidating routes. Sort of like what they did with my loop in the last 2 weeks. And they'd probably want to keep it quiet until the last possible minute. They'd also have to tell the Ground contractors in advance as they'd most likely have to hire extra drivers and realign routes. So even if they keep it quiet most likely we could see it coming. If they start consolidating more loops and stop hiring then something big must be coming, especially if the economy is improving. Without those indicators I'd say we're safe.
Senior Managers are all in a meeting for the next week...something big? Yeah, probably huge.

bbsam

Staff member
If they move P2 to ground? Its already happening partner! This valentines we didnt have near the volume we have had in the past. In a morning meeting our senior manager told the workgroup that most of Pro Flowers has moved over to ground since they can get stuff usually delivered overnight within a 500 mile radius. He also said more volume would be switched to ground in the coming months as there infrastructure will be able to handle more next day and 2 day stuff. Straight from or Senior Managers mouth!
Yeah, we did a bunch of ProFlowers. Piece of cake.

10-27

Its been slowly happening. Peek was lighter and much shorter, Valentines Day was almost non existant, I bet mothers day will be slower too! The writing is on the wall!

bbsam

Staff member
Please clue-in 59Dano. You and I have agreed this was going to happen for along time.

For whoever wants to know, we did about 700 ProFlower stops last Monday in our building. Ran an extra sort Monday morning. Something is happening, only makes fiscal sense.

vantexan

Unfortunately for express employees your right.

If, or when, Express becomes a strictly overnight service we are in trouble financially. It would make getting overtime almost impossible, and many if not most couriers won't even get a full 40. We'd need a number of years of raises just to get back to what we used to get on 40 hrs.

vantexan

For whoever wants to know, we did about 700 ProFlower stops last Monday in our building. Ran an extra sort Monday morning. Something is happening, only makes fiscal sense.

Interesting that the story around our station was 1)People were using local flower shops much more this year as it was cheaper and women didn't like getting flowers in a box and 2)The flower companies had really screwed up orders this year and there were alot of unhappy customers.

bbsam

Staff member
Interesting that the story around our station was 1)People were using local flower shops much more this year as it was cheaper and women didn't like getting flowers in a box and 2)The flower companies had really screwed up orders this year and there were alot of unhappy customers.
Wrong and wrong.

vantexan

Wrong and wrong.

It's interesting that those stories were floated to explain why we weren't getting the tons of flowers we got last year. They had everyone work Monday, including the 7 or 8 of us who work Saturday and are off Monday. Ended up getting very little extra volume. Was actually light. I have seen some stories of angry customers on Google News, but apparently most got their flowers on time.

10-27

I know the 2 ground routes in my same area had far more ProFlower deliveries than I did, and they said there terminal had alot. Draw your own conclusions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If, or when, Express becomes a strictly overnight service we are in trouble financially. It would make getting overtime almost impossible, and many if not most couriers won't even get a full 40. We'd need a number of years of raises just to get back to what we used to get on 40 hrs.

Exactly, and probably the plan. Fred can pay-out raises if all he has is a bunch of part-timers and a few full-timers getting 35. I am also seeing route retrenchment locally, and it really makes me wonder if they're getting ready to make the move.

vantexan

Exactly, and probably the plan. Fred can pay-out raises if all he has is a bunch of part-timers and a few full-timers getting 35. I am also seeing route retrenchment locally, and it really makes me wonder if they're getting ready to make the move.

Don't know about elsewhere, but in the last year our station has gone to almost all FTers. We only have 4 PTers now. Couldn't keep them, most realized quick it's a dead end job.

CJinx

We ran a special monday sort in our station too (2/13). It was a trailer of mostly ProFlower and Sherries Berries.
But that was it. They all went out on Ground, HD had virtually nothing on Valentine's Day and very little since. I was expecting a *lot* more, this time last year we had gift boxes all week long.

Funny, and we were thinking that all of our freight was expressed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Please clue-in 59Dano. You and I have agreed this was going to happen for along time.

You and he agreed that they were going to do a bunch of ProFlowers?

I thought you said that 2D and ES packages picked up by Express were going to be flown on Express planes to/near their destinations and transferred to Ground for delivery.

Care to share with us a tracking number of an Express package that was delivered by Ground?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You and he agreed that they were going to do a bunch of ProFlowers?

I thought you said that 2D and ES packages picked up by Express were going to be flown on Express planes to/near their destinations and transferred to Ground for delivery.

Care to share with us a tracking number of an Express package that was delivered by Ground?

No, we agree that E2 and XS will be shifted from Express over to Ground. Express is already flying Ground freight to numerous destinations, which I have listed here before. Once the shiftover is made, Ground will also do the pickups, so that will be volume just taken away from Express. Someone posted a while back that Ground was experimenting already with doing Express deliveries. They may have confused that with Ground's overnight commitment to deliver within a certain radius, something bbsam can probably address.

It's no secret that Ground has been recruiting Express dispatchers and that the two systems are being consolidated so there can be a combined dispatch operation.

As bbsam and others have said, it will save FedEx money, so there isn't really a question of whether it will happen, just when it will happen. Fred promised when he bought RPS that the two operations (Ground and Express) would always remain separate. Another lie.

I know you like to make a big deal about the Ground trailers purchased a couple of years ago that were air-only. Why would Ground need air trailers? And why did they disappear from the ramps where they were parked? Why are some Ground terminals getting ballmats and scissor lifts? IMO, the only thing holding Fred back is legal considerations.