The Campaign to Eliminate Older Couriers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Besides you saying you saw the trailers with permanent caster decks, can you prove any of this?

I actually saw the Ground trailers with permanent rollers. I don't have access to Ground facilities, so the ballmat and scissor lift reports are anecdotal and sourced from Ground drivers.

CJinx

It is quite rare for my ground station to get a straight trailer. We always get the ones with built in rollers and floor flaps that left up to access the 'belly' of the trailer. We don't have any ballmats or scissor lifts, but we do have electric "tuggers" for hauling large/heavy and/or unusual(e.g. Hazmats) packages that are incompatible with the conveyer system.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As bbsam and others have said, it will save FedEx money, so there isn't really a question of whether it will happen, just when it will happen.

Yep, the back of the envelope math suggests that it would be nothing short of a windfall. That lack of its existence suggests maybe not. Thankfully, we don't make decisions based on back of the envelope math.

I know you like to make a big deal about the Ground trailers purchased a couple of years ago that were air-only.

You made the big deal about that, not me. I just like to remind you of it.

Why would Ground need air trailers? And why did they disappear from the ramps where they were parked? Why are some Ground terminals getting ballmats and scissor lifts? IMO, the only thing holding Fred back is legal considerations

Why has Ground been buying all of these things for the past few years that they have had no use for? Why would 'Fred' have been spending all of this money over the past few years for something that is, from your suggestions, legally dubious?

As far as legal matters go, FedEx could pull the trigger on the shift tomorrow morning. It could do so and still avoid any hassles as far as the RLA is concerned.

I don't know why Ground buys what it buys. I don't work for Ground.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep, the back of the envelope math suggests that it would be nothing short of a windfall. That lack of its existence suggests maybe not. Thankfully, we don't make decisions based on back of the envelope math.

You made the big deal about that, not me. I just like to remind you of it.

Why has Ground been buying all of these things for the past few years that they have had no use for? Why would 'Fred' have been spending all of this money over the past few years for something that is, from your suggestions, legally dubious?

As far as legal matters go, FedEx could pull the trigger on the shift tomorrow morning. It could do so and still avoid any hassles as far as the RLA is concerned.

I don't know why Ground buys what it buys. I don't work for Ground.

That's right, you don't work for Ground. You're employed as a shill at Express.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I actually saw the Ground trailers with permanent rollers. I don't have access to Ground facilities, so the ballmat and scissor lift reports are anecdotal and sourced from Ground drivers.

This is all based on you seeing a couple of Ground trailers years ago, and a couple of anecdotes? LOL!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is all based on you seeing a couple of Ground trailers years ago, and a couple of anecdotes? LOL!!

Switching XS and E2 over to Ground will put more pennies in Fred's pocket. Think he's going to overlook the chance to save himself a bundle by using cheap(er) labor? He'd sell his Mom for a quarter.

Ghostwriter

Oh yeah?!
Well, how come you're privy to such information?
Do you work in Memphis?

Really? MFE a manager? For one, (based on his posts) he has issued concerns for couriers. Most managers are consumed by productivity. ( The courier's concerns could flop out the window for all they care).

p.s. I was not a manager either. Yet, at times I had the responsibility without the pay...

ghost

Ghostwriter

Don't know about elsewhere, but in the last year our station has gone to almost all FTers. We only have 4 PTers now. Couldn't keep them, most realized quick it's a dead end job.

Its a wonder how they can "keep" anyone. The ONLY thing that is working for them (to retain GOOD workers) is the economy. MY money says if there was better opportunities MOST of the mid-range and almost all the low-range would walk. ONE day this will swing around, as everything moves in a cycle. Only then, they will have to shell out more money to attract and keep any workers...

ghost

vantexan

He sees something at his station and constructs some goofy conspiratorial theory to explain it, then extrapolates it to the whole operation. Kind of like not getting your fries with your order at the Wendy's drive-thru, deciding that they did it to save money by shorting your order, and saying that that's the corporate policy to save money.

That kind of thing. He once saw a Ground trailer with rollers on the inside and determined that it means that all 2-Day and Express Saver freight will be delivered by Ground/HD.

Sorry, got caught up reading old posts. But here's a winner...