The Concept of Constructive Dissatisfaction

tieguy

Banned
We've had information abut FedEx here since the beginning of the site and yet this is the first I've ever heard anyone say that a FedEx page or forum somehow dilutes the culture here. Here are some links for the internet archive. I only went back as far as 2001, but I think that's far enough back that you'll get my point:

There is quite a bit of difference between having a forum to post news about our competitors and dedicating a forum for them. The latter changes the whole tone and theme to one of an industry site rather then a ups brown cafe site.

Again its your site and its yours to do with as you please. That point has again made clearer by the tone of DS and your response.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I understand that some of you are unhappy with my decision.

I also remember getting lots of complaints from Teamsters that the APWA was allowed to post here.

And then there were the complaints about the one topic TDU posters that flooded the forum in October just before the vote.

And then the complaints about "vanity posts" related to cooking or travel.

There have been complaints about allowing management to post, and then complaints about allowing too many anti mgt posts.

I've been approached by people that intrepret the site as a management shill and also by people that think the site is anti UPS.

Complaints that customers occassionally post here, complaints that writers or students sometimes ask questions here...

I've been accused of being biased towards management, the APWA, TRU, the Teamsters and now I'm told that this one decision to split the competition out into different sub forums is destroying the website.

There were threads with multiple accusations that I am being biased towards tieguy, now tieguy decides he's over moderated...

Our moderators are often picked on for stuff that's not their fault, it's my fault.

:::sigh:::

Our moderation team come from diverse backgrounds, pkg car drivers, a feeder driver, a part timer, retired mgt. A FedEx employee joins the team in the FedEx sub forum, he has also worked for UPS...

So anyway I think everyone needs to lighten up, this is just a website. Our forums are open to anyone that thinks this stuff is interesting. The subject matter discussed here is as diverse as the people that use it. If you want topics and viewpoints with a narrower focus and no diversity of opinion or experience then this isn't the place for you.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
In my opinion and you could say I'm slightly biased,

BROWN CAFE ROCKS

You know when they're complaining that they really care!!:happy-very:

JustTired

free at last.......
Bravo Cheryl

Personally, I enjoy reading what ever is posted here. Granted, some of it is not my cup of tea. But I don't complain too much, I just ignore it.

To think that having a FDX forum on here is allowing them to learn our deepest, darkest secrets is ridiculous. Seems that most of the opposition is coming from the management side. Reminds me of the day I had a supervisor with me and I waved to the Fedex guy as he drove by. He said "What are you doing? He is not your friend." I just looked at him and said "You're kidding, right?" He said "No I am not". I just shook my head. Unbelievable!

Even if they had no presence here, they surely could come and take a look and learn our "secrets" if they wanted. Heck, Osama can drop in and read it too. You can't stop them.

If the truth be known........I'm thankful every day that they are out there. Otherwise I never would get home. And you can take that to the bank. You can even set it beside the pile I've been building in there for the last decade or so.

my2cents

Good points Cheryl. I don't know how you put up with all that stuff. It's also true there is a lot of vanity material here as well. Having said all that however, I still believe the complexion of this site has changed in a way to where it's not a UPSer site anymore. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

tieguy

Banned
I understand that some of you are unhappy with my decision.

I also remember getting lots of complaints from Teamsters that the APWA was allowed to post here.

And then there were the complaints about the one topic TDU posters that flooded the forum in October just before the vote.

And then the complaints about "vanity posts" related to cooking or travel.

There have been complaints about allowing management to post, and then complaints about allowing too many anti mgt posts.

I've been approached by people that intrepret the site as a management shill and also by people that think the site is anti UPS.

Complaints that customers occassionally post here, complaints that writers or students sometimes ask questions here...

I've been accused of being biased towards management, the APWA, TRU, the Teamsters and now I'm told that this one decision to split the competition out into different sub forums is destroying the website.

There were threads with multiple accusations that I am being biased towards tieguy, now tieguy decides he's over moderated...

Our moderators are often picked on for stuff that's not their fault, it's my fault.

:::sigh:::

Our moderation team come from diverse backgrounds, pkg car drivers, a feeder driver, a part timer, retired mgt. A FedEx employee joins the team in the FedEx sub forum, he has also worked for UPS...

So anyway I think everyone needs to lighten up, this is just a website. Our forums are open to anyone that thinks this stuff is interesting. The subject matter discussed here is as diverse as the people that use it. If you want topics and viewpoints with a narrower focus and no diversity of opinion or experience then this isn't the place for you.

All of that is interesting to read. But it does not change the main point. you now have three forums dedicated to fdx. Its not about the complaining. Its about keeping this the brown cafe and not changing it to an industry site.

wkmac

To say I disagree strongly with TieGuy would be putting it mildly. In fact, I think he's a perfect example of the kind of management mentality hourlies put-up with at both companies. In spite of his rants, I enjoy the dialogue between the people on this site. It's OK to agree to disagree, but the childish insults are not really necessary.

You guys aren't secretly jumping in here to protect Tie's honor are you? I mean how many UPSers have said the exact same thing about tie so many times I can't count that high and I can count pretty high! :happy-very: What's next, 705 jumps in here to tell MrFedEx he can't kick dirt on tie because that's his job!:happy-very: Will he threaten to file a grievance for an outside contractor working!
LMAO!!!!!!

Besides, Tie's worked real hard for that persona!:happy2: Not messin or laughing at you Tie but rather the whole Big Picture. You gotta admit in another time and place some of these folks might be saying the same thing as MrFed.

Cheryl,

I remember the dark days before BC and the abuse we took from the mods at M/friend. I got no problem with what you did so keep up the good work. I'd like to see some of these guys have to deal with the M/friend nazi's for a month and then come back here. They might really appreciate just how good they do have it!

tieguy

Banned
You guys aren't secretly jumping in here to protect Tie's honor are you? I mean how many UPSers have said the exact same thing about tie so many times I can't count that high and I can count pretty high! :happy-very: What's next, 705 jumps in here to tell MrFedEx he can't kick dirt on tie because that's his job!:happy-very: Will he threaten to file a grievance for an outside contractor working!
LMAO!!!!!!

LMAO mac. Except the quote you used was one of a fdxer attacking me not defending my "honor" Start the saturday night spirits a little early?

Besides, Tie's worked real hard for that persona!:happy2: Not messin or laughing at you Tie but rather the whole Big Picture. You gotta admit in another time and place some of these folks might be saying the same thing as MrFed.

LOL, Yes we have our roles here don't we my windbag friend. Roflmao.

Cheryl,

I remember the dark days before BC and the abuse we took from the mods at M/friend. I got no problem with what you did so keep up the good work. I'd like to see some of these guys have to deal with the M/friend nazi's for a month and then come back here. They might really appreciate just how good they do have it!

For some reason you're having a hard time focusing or I'm not splaining too well. I'm not bad mouthing the brown cafe and I do not need to spend time on the old m/friend site to appreciate the brown cafe. I am addressing a specific event that took place here where this site was basically transformed from the brown cafe to the package cafe.

DS

Fenderbender
"I don't think the term "Brown Café" fits anymore."

I don't either. It's a sad thing, too. The end of an era.
There's a company on my route, "Joes Fly by Night Deliveries". Maybe we could start a sub-forum for them too.
OK over9 I did some serious thinking on this issue,and after considering the implications of your complaint,I've come up with a new name for the browncafe.It does not roll off the tongue quite the same,but it should appease you somewhat.After jumbling the letters of the 3 industry leaders in the USA,(ups,dhl,fedex) I came up with this beauty.

The fexelsphudd cafe'....whaddya think?

UPS Lifer

Lifer, The FedEx guys here do have first hand knowledge of what they go through day in and day out. ANYONE with basic reading comprehension can read posts on this forum and come to the conclusion that the two companies have more in common than the type of packages they deliver.
I like reading about some of the FedEx guys experiences simply to help me realize that the Grass is NOT always Greener.

I don't think you and I have a beef about this. I am not saying they should not post - or they are bad people or we should hate them because they are the competition. When I drove - there was a kindred spirit with the mail carriers and RPS drivers - FedEx was only just beginning!

I guess my pride in all our drivers and mgmt folks (good & bad!) just kind of kicks in. I don't think anybody can hold a candle to our people and I don't think they (FedEx) have a right to pass judgement on UPS ideas - problems - processes - etc unless they work at UPS. Only folks like you can do that.

Fedex employees can tell us what's up with FDX and complain about their company and ask us questions and agree with you based on their experience.

As far as the grass being greener.... The grass can only be greener if you (and me) fertilize it!!! ...business is business no matter where you go, there are good folks and not so good folks....good ideas and not so good ideas etc. etc! So pick your side of the fence and start fertilizing!!!!

over9five

Staff member
"The fexelsphudd cafe'....whaddya think?"

Hmmm, catchy. Sounds like a Teutonic cafe. Perhaps an establishment where one could order weiner schnitzel.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The FedEx presence here is small, and we're also in a separate Forum that is distinct from the UPS section(s). I've put it out there that I HAVE worked for UPS before, as have a lot of FedEx Express employees, so I do have direct knowledge of the company. I worked for 4 peak seasons as a feeder driver, where I ran Next-Day Air every night to the airport, picked-up and delivered trailers to the rail yards, shifted, and took sets of doubles out to the centers. No, I wasn't a regular, but was plugged-in to every feeder task and UPS management loved me because I always did it right, wasn't going to run into the airplane or GSE, and didn't call-in sick when it snowed or got icy. I still get called every year and I have to tell them "no" because I work for the competition. I have a lot of friends who work there, and I interact with the 4 or 5 UPS drivers I see on my route each and every day.

I remain interested in UPS because it's a fascinating company and I'm curious why your corporate culture succeeds while ours is failing,hence my question about constructive dissatisfaction. In a lot of ways, it's the same job done from a different perspective. Yes, you probably work a bit harder, but it's pretty close. And you actually get paid fairly for what you do, unlike us.

And for those of you who claim we "stole" the UPS concept, you're only partially right. While we obviously copied a lot of your procedures and methods, UPS dropped the ball by not moving into the overnight sector and allowing someone else (Fred S) to exploit that lucrative market. From what I've read, Mr Casey tried air ops as far back as the 40's and 50's, but the timing was wrong and the "hub and spoke" idea wouldn't work until the jet age was in full swing.

My thanks again to Cheryl for allowing us to participate. We're not trying to take over, and that's never going to happen anyway. While we are a part of the Brown Cafe, it will always be primarily a UPS site. Please feel free to post anything you want on the FedEx Forums....it would be interesting to have alternative opinions.

upsgrunt

Bottom line is when you own something and have the rights and make the rules, you can do whatever you want with what you own. Cheryl, you make good decisions, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

tieguy

Banned
The FedEx presence here is small, and we're also in a separate Forum that is distinct from the UPS section(s). I've put it out there that I HAVE worked for UPS before, as have a lot of FedEx Express employees,

All that is wonderfull. I'm sure you guys wear pants , have families etc. Its not about you but the changes made to this site.

FedexExEmployee

Mr FedEx and FedExEmployee,

You guys started this thread. You came into our backyard and started playing in our sandbox! We did not ask you to come into our backyard.

We started the thread, not the negativity. Did you say sandbox? Thank you for just proving the childishness of the instigators.

Speaking of childishness, I keep getting negative "Rep power" ratings from someone. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You think you can make a parallel because the companies deliver similar packages with similar vehicles in similar areas.

Uuummmm...YES! It's the same job. Stop being silly. If you wanted to distinguish between driving for UPS and delivering pizza, you'd have a point. LOL

Thumbs up to those who see the obvious and vast similiarities between the two companies, in addition to the importance of having a section for the "competition."

tieguy

Banned
We started the thread, not the negativity. Did you say sandbox? Thank you for just proving the childishness of the instigators.

Uuummmm...YES! It's the same job. Stop being silly. If you wanted to distinguish between driving for UPS and delivering pizza, you'd have a point. LOL

Thumbs up to those who see the obvious and vast similiarities between the two companies, in addition to the importance of having a section for the "competition."

I know I have been enriched to hear that fdx couriers actually think they deliver packages like ups drivers.

I thank the moderators for giving them the keys to the palace so that the fdx drivers will be able to teach us all about delivering packages.

Last edited: