The consignee's lawn is...

The consignee's lawn is...

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does it pain you when your wrong?

In the situation I described above I am not wrong. Empire Vision opens at 10am. I deliver their NDA as the regular driver does not get there until the afternoon. I pull up at 9:45 or so and beep the horn to let them know that I am there as they are usually in the back getting ready to open. By the time I secure the PC and select the pkgs they are at the passenger door waiting to sign. I then go to Gamestop. Same thing--they are still closed so I beep the horn a few times to let them know I am there. I start loading the pkgs on the handcart while they are opening the door.

You may be able to find some powder to help with that dampness.

Indecisi0n

Two dampness behind the ear comments...hmm you must really like that saying.

So you said originally :

I know (think?) that you were joking but this is how it works when I deliver NDA to Empire Vision. I am there before they open so I beep the horn and by the time I secure the PC, select and scan their pkg(s) they are at the car waiting to sign. I also get to Gamestop before they open and do the same thing to get them to open the door.

So you insinuated that you scanned the packages BEFORE you even saw the customer. Care to recant your original statement?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No--I select and scan the pkgs at the same time as they are doing me a favor by accepting the delivery early and meeting me at the car and I don't want them to have to wait for me.

Does it upset you that I have more time in the restroom than you have on the job?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think Upstate is applying common sense to an ambiguous situation.
This is what separates the genuine driver from the disingenuous driver.
If one of these stops starts to develop a pattern of not coming out, then the situation changes.

So, be honest, what is your real intent in asking these questions Indecisi0n?

UPSGUY72

Two dampness behind the ear comments...hmm you must really like that saying.

So you said originally :

So you insinuated that you scanned the packages BEFORE you even saw the customer. Care to recant your original statement?

I scan all my package before I leave my car.

Indecisi0n

I think Upstate is applying common sense to an ambiguous situation.
This is what separates the genuine driver from the disingenuous driver.
If one of these stops starts to develop a pattern of not coming out, then the situation changes.

So, be honest, what is your real intent in asking these questions Indecisi0n?

Only to bust upstates chops. lol I am bored this morning.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He does sooooo hate it when he is wrong. As for pathways to walk, I found the book you get when you go to driver school. Shortest distance that can be safely traversed without obstacles. In preparing for the unknown, which might be an obstacle, one should use common sense. Therefore, don't yourself in a situation that contains unknowns when the sidewalk does not. My on-car hates it when you walk on nice yards. You get the look if you even try.

UPSGUY72

here is the message I got on my DIAD verbatim the other day ( I even took a pic of it). "Avoid cutting through yards. Stay on sidewalks and driveways. It is hard to see trip hazards in yards." This is an instrutction Upstate. Would you obey it?

I would take that as a suggestion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I scan all my package before I leave my car.

This is where I have to agree with The Kid. For residentials I scan as I walk---this is a carry over from our sheeting while walking days. For commercials this will depend upon the type of stop. If it is a bulk stop with rollers (Walmart) I will scan each package and then place each one on the rollers. It would make no sense to lay them all out and scan them only to have to pick them all up and put them on the rollers. If it is a stop with 5 or fewer pkgs I will carry them all in and then scan them. If I have to load a handcart to make the delivery I will load the cart, bring to delivery point, stack them labels out and then scan the pkgs.

Scanning in the car generally does not save time.

Indecisi0n

This is where I have to agree with The Kid. For residentials I scan as I walk---this is a carry over from our sheeting while walking days. For commercials this will depend upon the type of stop. If it is a bulk stop with rollers (Walmart) I will scan each package and then place each one on the rollers. It would make no sense to lay them all out and scan them only to have to pick them all up and put them on the rollers. If it is a stop with 5 or fewer pkgs I will carry them all in and then scan them. If I have to load a handcart to make the delivery I will load the cart, bring to delivery point, stack them labels out and then scan the pkgs.

Being wet behind the ears, I hate walking up to a house, scanning the package and then realizing there is still another package waiting in my PC !

UPSGUY72

I should have clarified what I was trying to say. If I have multiple packages or a large package for a stop they all get scanned before I leave the car. This allows me to put my Diad on my belt clip and have two hands free to pick up the packages.

If I have package that I can carry in one hand I scan on the way to the stop.

UPSGUY72

Being wet behind the ears, I hate walking up to a house, scanning the package and then realizing there is still another package waiting in my PC !

The Diad tell you how many packages there are for that stop. You need to count them as you grab them thus eliminating that problem.

Indecisi0n

The Diad tell you how many packages there are for that stop. You need to count them as you grab them thus eliminating that problem.

There are times where i am going too fast. I just get in the routine of turning off truck, grabbing package, and sliding out the bulkhead door too quickly.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know (think?) that you were joking but this is how it works when I deliver NDA to Empire Vision. I am there before they open so I beep the horn and by the time I secure the PC, select and scan their pkg(s) they are at the car waiting to sign. I also get to Gamestop before they open and do the same thing to get them to open the door.
Game Stop is a PITA. Ours doesn't open til noon and we always end up going back for them.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If it is a stop with 5 or fewer pkgs I will carry them all in and then scan them. If I have to load a handcart to make the delivery I will load the cart, bring to delivery point, stack them labels out and then scan the pkgs.

Scanning in the car always saves time. More importantly, it saves wear and tear on your body.

Lets say I have 8 pieces, average weight 20 lbs, that need to be handtrucked in to the delivery point. If I followed UPS methods I would move all 8 pieces from the shelf to the floor at the front or rear of the car. I would then stack those pieces onto the handcart. I would then wheel them in to the delivery point, unload each piece off of the handcart into a row on the floor, scan them, and get a signature. Depending upon the size of the receiving area, I may then be asked to stack them or move them out of the way before I leave. When all is said and done, I have handled each piece 3 or 4 times, meaning I have just handled a total of between 480 and 640 lbs. (8x20+160.....160x3+480 or 160x4+640)

The better way to do it...is to load the handcart in the car, without folding the lip down (if possible) and scan each package as you load it with the biggest and heaviest pieces on the bottom. When all pieces are scanned and you know you have gotten all of them, slide the handcart off of the back bumper or out the front step, keeping your back straight and maintaining 3 points of contact. You are using the handtruck as a fulcrum, and keeping the weight on the slide rails. Wheel the handtruck in to the delivery point, get a signature, and while the consignee is signing you push the load up against the wall, grab the handcart near the bottom, and pull the cart out from under the pile. Instead of handling each package 3 or 4 times, you have only handled it once for a total weight of 180 lbs instead of 480 or 640. This method is also faster and it minimizes customer contact time because they arent standing there while you unload the cart wanting to question the condition of each package or whether or not they ought to sign for it. They are siging for a pile that you have conveniently pushed out of the way for them and by the time they start tearing into it and looking each package over you are already back to the PC.