The consignee's lawn is...

The consignee's lawn is...

• Total voters

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Scanning in the car always saves time. More importantly, it saves wear and tear on your body.

The better way to do it...is to load the handcart in the car, without folding the lip down (if possible) and scan each package as you load it with the biggest and heaviest pieces on the bottom. When all pieces are scanned and you know you have gotten all of them, slide the handcart off of the back bumper or out the front step, keeping your back straight and maintaining 3 points of contact. You are using the handtruck as a fulcrum, and keeping the weight on the slide rails. Wheel the handtruck in to the delivery point, get a signature, and while the consignee is signing you push the load up against the wall, grab the handcart near the bottom, and pull the cart out from under the pile. Instead of handling each package 3 or 4 times, you have only handled it once for a total weight of 180 lbs instead of 480 or 640. This method is also faster and it minimizes customer contact time because they arent standing there while you unload the cart wanting to question the condition of each package or whether or not they ought to sign for it. They are siging for a pile that you have conveniently pushed out of the way for them and by the time they start tearing into it and looking each package over you are already back to the PC.

This is the way I do it. However.....this is not UPS dictated use of handtruck. They say that allowing gravity to pull the load out of the truck puts too much stress on your back. I had this argument with supervisor. I said....."Okay....so it is allowable for me to pull a fully loaded handtruck up 3 flights of stairs to make a delivery? You don't think that would put my back out? I am working against gravity and friction when I have those forces working FOR me when lowering the hand truck from the vehicle." They tell us to work smart buy don't allow it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Scanning in the car always saves time. More importantly, it saves wear and tear on your body.

Lets say I have 8 pieces, average weight 20 lbs, that need to be handtrucked in to the delivery point. If I followed UPS methods I would move all 8 pieces from the shelf to the floor at the front or rear of the car. I would then stack those pieces onto the handcart. I would then wheel them in to the delivery point, unload each piece off of the handcart into a row on the floor, scan them, and get a signature. Depending upon the size of the receiving area, I may then be asked to stack them or move them out of the way before I leave. When all is said and done, I have handled each piece 3 or 4 times, meaning I have just handled a total of between 480 and 640 lbs. (8x20+160.....160x3+480 or 160x4+640)

The better way to do it...is to load the handcart in the car, without folding the lip down (if possible) and scan each package as you load it with the biggest and heaviest pieces on the bottom. When all pieces are scanned and you know you have gotten all of them, slide the handcart off of the back bumper or out the front step, keeping your back straight and maintaining 3 points of contact. You are using the handtruck as a fulcrum, and keeping the weight on the slide rails. Wheel the handtruck in to the delivery point, get a signature, and while the consignee is signing you push the load up against the wall, grab the handcart near the bottom, and pull the cart out from under the pile. Instead of handling each package 3 or 4 times, you have only handled it once for a total weight of 180 lbs instead of 480 or 640. This method is also faster and it minimizes customer contact time because they arent standing there while you unload the cart wanting to question the condition of each package or whether or not they ought to sign for it. They are siging for a pile that you have conveniently pushed out of the way for them and by the time they start tearing into it and looking each package over you are already back to the PC.
The only thing that I don't do, I your way Sober, is load the hand truck inside the PC. I drop the hand truck outside the door first but after that, if it goes in my hand it gets scanned. I do not handle pkgs anymore than absolutely necessary. Less likely to have a missed scan as far as I'm concerned.

old levi's

blank space
Another big benefit of having packages already scanned when you hit the door is you can hand the diad quickly to the receiver before that damn phone rings.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only thing that I don't do, I your way Sober, is load the hand truck inside the PC. I drop the hand truck outside the door first but after that, if it goes in my hand it gets scanned. I do not handle pkgs anymore than absolutely necessary. Less likely to have a missed scan as far as I'm concerned.

You probably have to load outside of the car due to the fact that you probably weigh at least 100 lbs less that I do so it would be a lot more difficult for you to slide a heavily loaded handcart down the bumper without it getting away from you. If I load the cart properly (weight at the bottom) and make sure I have secure footing, I can lower a handcart with a 200 lb stack of packages on it down out of the back of the car quite easily. It helps that I weigh 250 lbs.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trying to remember back, I believe this to be correct.

When sliding a two wheeler on the back of the truck that has 200 pound of packages on it. This also goes for stairs.

When going downward with the load, once past the wheels, the weight is about 30-40% of the dead weight, due to the friction of the two wheeler on the bumper.

When pulling upwards with the same load, it is about 70-90% of the dead weight. It could be more depending on the friction of the back bumper.

Both are also dependent on the angle of the hand truck to the corner of the bumper.

Pulling this from memory, but its been a long time.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You probably have to load outside of the car due to the fact that you probably weigh at least 100 lbs less that I do so it would be a lot more difficult for you to slide a heavily loaded handcart down the bumper without it getting away from you. If I load the cart properly (weight at the bottom) and make sure I have secure footing, I can lower a handcart with a 200 lb stack of packages on it down out of the back of the car quite easily. It helps that I weigh 250 lbs.
True. :happy-very:

satellitedriver

Under ideal conditions (clear and unobstructed walk path, broad daylight, good weather etc.) this is sometimes true.

More often than not, however, I spend my walk time back to the PC dodging wet leaves, mossy steps, dog poop, or kids toys that are scattered about the driveway or yard. Or its dark and I'm using a flashlight. Or I'm feeding biscuits to the pack of loose dogs that are running circles around me, jumping up on me and trying to sniff my butt. Or I dont even have the DIAD with me because the package was an irreg and I needed both hands free to handle a flashlight and a handcart.

Planning your next five stops while walking back to the car is a great theory from within the safe, well-lit confines of a cubicle. Like many such UPS theories, it does not always carry forward very well into the real world where the work is actually taking place.
Hang the DIAD on your pinky finger.
Carry the flashlight in your mouth.
Know your next five stops before you step out of the package car.
The reason you have dogs around is because you feed them biscuits.
Feed the dogs some "pepper" and your butt will not be sniffed.
Hand cart? I call that a portable wheeled weapon.