The day after Thanksgiving is now a reguired work day? pt. 2

Super 9

Do we still get our holiday pay for both Thanksgiving and Black Friday if you don't show up for work on Black Friday if help is needed that day? Because some of the guys I work with are trying to scare me by telling me I'm not going to get my holiday pay for both those days for not coming in on Black Friday. But I did come to work the day before Thanksgiving and then Monday the following week. I even worked on the Sunday 2 days after Thanksgiving. Are they telling me the truth???

P.S. here's the old thread I borrowed the topic title from:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/...anksgiving-is-now-a-reguired-work-day.356566/

Indecisi0n

Do we still get our holiday pay for both Thanksgiving and Black Friday if you don't show up for work on Black Friday if help is needed that day? Because some of the guys I work with are trying to scare me by telling me I'm not going to get my holiday pay for both those days for not coming in on Black Friday. But I did come to work the day before Thanksgiving and then Monday the following week. I even worked on the Sunday 2 days after Thanksgiving. Are they telling me the truth???

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...anksgiving-is-now-a-reguired-work-day.356566/
Trying to scare you? I think it worked.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Where do you live? Under a rock?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Depends on the language covering holidays in your supplement.

There's some room for interpretation depending on supplement; in our area, you must work the regularly scheduled workday before and after the holiday unless off by mutual agreement in order to receive holiday pay. I haven't heard of anyone losing holiday pay for not working Black Friday or the following Sunday if they're forced to work a sixth day, but that could vary by building.

Regardless, I'm not going to risk losing 8 hours (PT) of holiday pay and miss out on 1.5x pay for hours worked (double time in other areas) to sit at home on Black Friday unless I was able to get the day off.

Maybe next year you should be a big boy and bid for the day off so you don't have to worry about this.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Depends on the language covering holidays in your supplement.

There's some room for interpretation depending on supplement; in our area, you must work the regularly scheduled workday before and after the holiday unless off by mutual agreement in order to receive holiday pay. I haven't heard of anyone losing holiday pay for not working Black Friday or the following Sunday if they're forced to work a sixth day, but that could vary by building.

Regardless, I'm not going to risk losing 8 hours (PT) of holiday pay and miss out on 1.5x pay for hours worked (double time in other areas) to sit at home on Black Friday unless I was able to get the day off.

Maybe next year you should be a big boy and bid for the day off so you don't have to worry about this.

There is no room for interpretation.

UPS can say that it is a regular workday all they want. The contract states that it is a holiday.

If you work that day, you are working on a holiday, not a regular scheduled workday, hence the premium pay for working that day.

The Central states work either the day before or the day after the holiday to get paid for it.

Work Wednesday or the following Monday and you get the holiday pay for both days.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There is no room for interpretation.

UPS can say that it is a regular workday all they want. The contract states that it is a holiday.

If you work that day, you are working on a holiday, not a regular scheduled workday, hence the premium pay for working that day.

The Central states work either the day before or the day after the holiday to get paid for it.

Work Wednesday or the following Monday and you get the holiday pay for both days.

It's a holiday despite what the UPS calendar says. That much we agree on.

We expected the company to try and make a case to take away holiday pay from people last year for missing Black Friday and it didn't happen. When I say there's room for interpretation, that includes an incorrect interpretation and these things should always be anticipated from UPS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's a holiday despite what the UPS calendar says. That much we agree on.

We expected the company to try and make a case to take away holiday pay from people last year for missing Black Friday and it didn't happen. When I say there's room for interpretation, that includes an incorrect interpretation and these things should always be anticipated from UPS.

Agreed. Even if it is black and white, UPS will still try and interpret it in a way to suite them.

But, UPS can interpret Black Friday how they want. The contract states Black Friday is a holiday, not a regular scheduled workday. It's black and white.

The contract will have to change, eliminate Black Friday as a holiday, for it to be interpreted any other way.

browner89

I slept all day from all the turkey I ate the previous day :sad:

Yep it appears so

Well thanks for the replies and reassurance.

Wtf? That's your excuse? You ate turkey 12-24 hours before you're scheduled to work? Alright then.

What did you say when you called in "Uh, yeah boss, can't make it, ate turkey on thanksgiving..."

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Agreed. Even if it is black and white, UPS will still try and interpret it in a way to suite them.

But, UPS can interpret Black Friday how they want. The contract states Black Friday is a holiday, not a regular scheduled workday. It's black and white.

The contract will have to change, eliminate Black Friday as a holiday, for it to be interpreted any other way.

I was told UPS paid out $150 million in OT for Black Friday 2014 alone. They will absolutely try to eliminate Black Friday as a holiday during 2018 negotiations in order to save on labor costs.

Personally, I think the chance to make $250-300 in a day as a part-timer is a fair trade for the chance to spend more time with my family. I don't want to give that up in exchange for straight pay unless we get something more than a simple swap.

Hopefully, we use that to leverage something out of them rather than just a straight trade (ie. simply trading Black Friday for Easter or MLK Day).

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wtf? That's your excuse? You ate turkey 12-24 hours before you're scheduled to work? Alright then.

What did you say when you called in "Uh, yeah boss, can't make it, ate turkey on thanksgiving..."
It was the tryptophan
maxresdefault.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was told UPS paid out $150 million in OT for Black Friday 2014 alone. They will absolutely try to eliminate Black Friday as a holiday during 2018 negotiations in order to save on labor costs.

Personally, I think the chance to make $250-300 in a day as a part-timer is a fair trade for the chance to spend more time with my family. I don't want to give that up in exchange for straight pay unless we get something more than a simple swap.

Hopefully, we use that to leverage something out of them rather than just a straight trade (ie. simply trading Black Friday for Easter or MLK Day).

They will try. We have the final say. It would just take a no vote on the contract.

We would have to see an offer we couldn't refuse, like an extra week of vacation.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Unfortunately we will lose the holiday pay and will not be given anything to replace it.

Did Mikey Rosentrater shoot you an e-mail before he put in his retirement papers?

It's too far off (2.5+ years) before negotiation early opener letters will even be sent. I don't think we can reasonably try to predict that one yet.