The Emergence of the Independents

wkmac

Since 1988' Gallup has followed this trend and it seems those who call themselves independent has hit an all time high. Independents already outnumber republicans and democrats separately and just a few more percentage points and even combined, the "I's" will have a clear majority over both parties combined. Appears the fictional 40/40 split with the 20% deciding the election has taken an interesting turn.

Percentage of Independents Reach Record High

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've seen other polls saying pretty much the same thing.
One thing I find interesting is the apparent discrepancy in the polls regarding:
Democrats outnumbers Republicans
but
Conservatives outnumbers Liberals.

It's a big old goofy world.

island1fox

I have recently heard --senior moment --do not remember where --that Independents are not so "Independent"

They directly lean right or left --but claim to be Independent because of dislike for either the Democrat or Republican party !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have recently heard --senior moment --do not remember where --that Independents are not so "Independent"

They directly lean right or left --but claim to be Independent because of dislike for either the Democrat or Republican party !!
I agree with that ... I get sick just thinking about belonging to the Democratic Party or the Republican Party.
Everyone in them seem to be such despicable liars.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'd probably be one of those. Defiantly lean more right but really I'm waiting for a viable third party. Good thing I'm young. Doubt I'll see it soon.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Since 1988' Gallup has followed this trend and it seems those who call themselves independent has hit an all time high. Independents already outnumber republicans and democrats separately and just a few more percentage points and even combined, the "I's" will have a clear majority over both parties combined. Appears the fictional 40/40 split with the 20% deciding the election has taken an interesting turn.

Percentage of Independents Reach Record High
Republicans aren't happy with Republicans, so they are calling themselves Independent to not be associated with either party........they are IINO (Indepedents in name only)

wkmac

I've seen other polls saying pretty much the same thing.
One thing I find interesting is the apparent discrepancy in the polls regarding:
Democrats outnumbers Republicans
but
Conservatives outnumbers Liberals.

It's a big old goofy world.

If you use our current definitions of conservative and liberal, as twisted from etymology as they are, neither party reflects the ideals of those they claim to represent. Democrats no longer uphold the civil libertarian traditions they once did and for republicans the whole idea of limited gov't and even fiscal responsibility has been exposed for the sham that it is.

If the trend towards independents holds and even grows, watch local elections first. These elections are not as dominated by party affiliation in the mind of the voter but the basis of party political power begins there at the precinct level. Part of the power struggle within the GOP and causing the backlash against the so-called Tea Party is that in the 2012' campaign, the Ron Paul folks went to caucus and precinct meetings in droves and got elected as delegates and precinct captains. These folks not only craft policy but also set candidates that in time rise through the ranks into national politics. How effective that will be in the long run is hard to say but it sure has IMO done wonders to show what frauds the GOP hierarchy really are when it comes to the limited gov't/fiscal responsibility narrative.

The fact that both parties have morons leading them and the faces of the parties, Obama, the democrat and republican Congressional leadership figures, only serve to re-enforce in a growing number of the public what real idiots we have running this country. The move towards independent status by so many suggests people are starting to rethink the status quo which is good.

For those who still want to frame it all with old definitions, in other words unable to think outside their constructed box, I'd be careful doing that at the moment. The terms liberal and conservative have so successfully been framed to attach to both parties that as people abandon parties, they could well abandon those constructs as they realize them to be nothing more than PR narratives.