The Fed Ex Credit Card

Overpaid Union Thug

Level playing field is level playing field.

Only when looking at the issue without bias and with logic can one understand that FedEx is getting special treatment. The only way FedEx (Express) and UPS (Air) will ever compete fairly on a level playing field is when they operate under the same rules and regulations. That is not happening now.

bbsam

Staff member
So is it that level is not level, or a different field altogether? Rugby/football, baseball/cricket.

bbsam

Staff member
They are competing for express shipping. That's as level as it gets.

I'm starting to see the Express logic now. Express shipping is ALL they do and therefore localized strikes would be more devestating to the system as a whole. Not so the integrated nature of UPS. Being separate companies (Express, Ground, Freight, etc.) allows Express to claim potential catastrophic harm to it's division under the more lax rules governing unionizing under the NLRA.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm starting to see the Express logic now. Express shipping is ALL they do and therefore localized strikes would be more devestating to the system as a whole. Not so the integrated nature of UPS. Being separate companies (Express, Ground, Freight, etc.) allows Express to claim potential catastrophic harm to it's division under the more lax rules governing unionizing under the NLRA.

UPS has to compete with FedEx with the burden of union wages, strikes, and contract negotiations (thats when FedEx starts pumping strike propaganda into the media). If the playing field were leveled and FedEx chose to unionize they would, at the very least, have the burden of strike and contract negotiations and possibly the wage issue. Right now FedEx's primary advantage is the wages. Without higher union wages they can usually beat UPS in the price battle but not always in service. A level playing field would set service as the only factor instead of one company being able to play the "our competition will go on strike card" because they have government protection from unionizing.

bham brown

Klein, we are losing market share, especially on the Ground side. One of the main hurdles is our price point. It has been much more difficult for me to get a sold sales lead lately beause we have become too expensive. Yes, our overall profit is higher, but our profit per piece is much lower.

Something needs to give. We will be at $32+/hr by 2013 with industry leading benefits and pension. Not bad for a job which only requires a HS degree. At what point is it enough?

You need to make sure your research is correct.. Last time I looked( a few months ago) we made more profit per package than FEDX.

So, are you asking that our pay be frozen at $32/hr? I believe I earn every penny of it. With the way inflation is driving up the price of everything that you buy, shouldn't your pay go up accordingly? I do believe we are well payed and I am not complaining about our wage. But we deserve raises as long as the company is making a profit, which they are. Record profits, I might add

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you believe our lying sack of a CEO, FedEx is ready to go under at any second. As "broke" as we are, FedEx can still afford new airplanes like the 777. Oh, and Fred doesn't want you to know that he has firm commitments for 190 757's that are coming off-lease with the PAX airlines. Each of these will need to be converted to cargo for a few miilion per plane. Yes, we are destitute and can't pay higher wages.

If UPS wants to stop this stack of you-know-what dead in his tracks, they had better quit playing nice while Fred stomps all over them. What is the problem, anyway? Do you want him to continue to have a 30% cost advantage forever? Please wake-up Mr Davis and then have him get Hoffa out of his coma. Geez...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just exactly what would you like Mr. Davis to do? UPS has their lobbyists in Washington, the Teamsters have their lobbyists in Washington and Fred has his lobbyists there as well. I don't see what else we could be doing.

bbsam

Staff member
Just exactly what would you like Mr. Davis to do? UPS has their lobbyists in Washington, the Teamsters have their lobbyists in Washington and Fred has his lobbyists there as well. I don't see what else we could be doing.
Minding your own business? No, probably not. Well, I guess it's your business...at least it used to be.:happy2::peaceful:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

I guess it was about two summers ago in our building, they sent us a response-required message through the DIAD telling us that they were giving us all an extra 10 minutes on the clock any one day that week to write a letter to our congressmen asking them to side in UPS's favor in this matter, that is, to vote to change the laws and force FedEx to reclassify. They thought a flurry of mail to the congressman's office would help the matter some how.

Of course, I refused to do so as a matter of principle and told them that in my reply message. A return message was sent in which I was actually told by an on-car sup in the office "you have to do it". when I returned to the building, I got a shop steward and told them that I am not contractually obligated to do so, but when Scott Davis is ready to pay me what he pays his lobbyists in Washington, D.C., I'll be glad to write his letter. The matter went no further. I didn't write the letter, and upon hearing my story, several other drivers declined to write the letter as well.

I deliver packages. I don't lobby on the company's behalf.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had no problem writing the letters (2) as they were paying us to do so. I knew that I was wasting my time and that Senators Schumer and Clinton would see the letter campaign for what it was and dismiss it.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I guess it was about two summers ago in our building, they sent us a response-required message through the DIAD telling us that they were giving us all an extra 10 minutes on the clock any one day that week to write a letter to our congressmen asking them to side in UPS's favor in this matter, that is, to vote to change the laws and force FedEx to reclassify. They thought a flurry of mail to the congressman's office would help the matter some how.

Of course, I refused to do so as a matter of principle and told them that in my reply message. A return message was sent in which I was actually told by an on-car sup in the office "you have to do it". when I returned to the building, I got a shop steward and told them that I am not contractually obligated to do so, but when Scott Davis is ready to pay me what he pays his lobbyists in Washington, D.C., I'll be glad to write his letter. The matter went no further. I didn't write the letter, and upon hearing my story, several other drivers declined to write the letter as well.

I deliver packages. I don't lobby on the company's behalf.

What is it that makes supporting the company that supports you and your family a crime?

Wouldn't it be a good thing if more people doing the same work were paid union wages and received union benefits?

We haven't seen a significant reduction in full time drivers jobs yet, but I'll be coming if FedEx continues to beat the pants off of us on US domestic ground deliveries.

The "lobbying" supports you, your family, your Union brothers, and all the future Union brothers in addition to the company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Spend more money. Fred has spent approximately double what UPS has. Also, how about an ad campaign to counter the Brown Bailout nonsense. UPS is acting like this is a gentlemen's duel at 10 paces. Fred turned around at 2 paces and has a machine gun. You don't play nice with a bully. You have to kick his ass.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Spend more money. Fred has spent approximately double what UPS has. Also, how about an ad campaign to counter the Brown Bailout nonsense. UPS is acting like this is a gentlemen's duel at 10 paces. Fred turned around at 2 paces and has a machine gun. You don't play nice with a bully. You have to kick his ass.

Maybe because it is a lost cause and a firepit not worth throwing any more money into?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe because it is a lost cause and a firepit not worth throwing any more money into?

It might be, but I'd fight fire with fire if my company was operating at a distinct disadvantage because another company doing the exact same thing gets a special break. It makes me sick that our political system works the way it does, and this whole RLA deal should be argued on it's merits, not on who tosses the most cash to politicians.

Strictly from an ethical and legal standpoint, it would appear to me that FedEx has special dispensation it doesn't deserve. The NDA and Express systems are basically identical, and I've repeatedly shown (with evidence) that FedEx Ground and Express are interdependent operations. This negates the Brown Bailout rationale that FedEx Express is a separate "airline". It isn't.

If I were Mr. Davis, I'd spend the money and fight at Fred's level. IMO.

trdferguson16

I haven't wasted my time on sales leads in a while now. And besides, with reduced staffing on-road to save money and incompetency behind the dispatch computer, we can barely service the customers we have now.
exactly whats happening down here in MD. sending drivers home while the rest go out with 10.5 hrs. of work or more!

BrownArmy

What is it that makes supporting the company that supports you and your family a crime?

Wouldn't it be a good thing if more people doing the same work were paid union wages and received union benefits?

We haven't seen a significant reduction in full time drivers jobs yet, but I'll be coming if FedEx continues to beat the pants off of us on US domestic ground deliveries.

The "lobbying" supports you, your family, your Union brothers, and all the future Union brothers in addition to the company.

Absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the company that supports us and our families.

Except it was a fruitless effort, at least in the way that UPS conducted it's letter-writing campaign.

We were given several samples of letters, told to hand-write two copies and self-address these letters to our two senators here in MA (UPS paid the postage).

I initially declined, having already written MY OWN letters to my senators, but declining was not an option. What the heck, I'm getting paid to come in fifteen minutes early to use UPS's crib-sheet to write two more letters...

WHICH LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME AS THOUSANDS OF OTHER LETTERS WRITTEN BY UPS'ers!

From any senator's point of view, in any state, this must have looked like a clear campaign by UPS to influence the outcome of pending legislation.

Upstate nailed it:

I had no problem writing the letters (2) as they were paying us to do so. I knew that I was wasting my time and that Senators Schumer and Clinton would see the letter campaign for what it was and dismiss it.

beentheredonethat

Did anyone see fedex spent 2.3 billion on 12 new boeing 777 planes and new sorting centers, for a company that has had such a large expansion over the last 10 years I can only imigine how much debt this company must have to try to compete with UPS, a debt free company with billions in cash. I just wish I was banker holding those loans.

Look at the web sites like yahoo finance. UPS is far from Debt free, heck a few years ago we borrowed about 6 billion to bail out the central states fund. We used to pay as we went, but decided to borrow money to finance expansion, and purchasing of our fleet and aircraft. We owe more long term then FDX does.

Not IN Trace

Look at the web sites like yahoo finance. UPS is far from Debt free, heck a few years ago we borrowed about 6 billion to bail out the central states fund. We used to pay as we went, but decided to borrow money to finance expansion, and purchasing of our fleet and aircraft. We owe more long term then FDX does.

Ok then since you know so much how much outstanding debt dose UPS and Fedex have?