The FedEx Ground Threat

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Back to the Ground threat...we are busier than hell over here and no one knows why. Usually we've got people laid off by now and instead they're doubling on all the sorts and driver helpers are still running about. Unheard of in all the time I've been here. Management has no clue (not news) why we're getting all this volume.

U

uber

Back to the Ground threat...we are busier than hell over here and no one knows why. Usually we've got people laid off by now and instead they're doubling on all the sorts and driver helpers are still running about. Unheard of in all the time I've been here. Management has no clue (not news) why we're getting all this volume.

The economy is turning around?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager has been talking about the Ground threat for as long as I can remember. He was always pushing us to get sales leads and telling us that we need to protect our volume. At first most of the guys, myself included, didn't really take him too seriously, but now his predictions appear to be quite accurate. I have just under 7 years left and know that I will be OK but I think UPS will be a much different company 10-15 years down the line unless something is done to position ourselves to be more competitive with Ground.

Ms.PacMan

Same here, cars packed, seasonal drivers, helpers.

A lot of my extra volume is SurePost. SurePost the USPS couldn't handle during peak? I've also had a lot of shipments of multiples and overweights (UPS Freight?) and Amazon.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

You must be conversing with the wrong people. In my building, management discussed with us long ago that volumes would be heavy into mid-January. In recent years, the explosion of gifting gift cards has lead to an extension of the Holiday shopping season, and UPS has seen a big piece of that. And this year, with Christmas & New Year's Day falling on a Tuesday, many people (especially schools, white collar & manufacturing jobs) enjoyed an extended holiday, with up to three weeks off -- and now they're playing "catch up."

We've been crazily busy post-Christmas for the last several years. A couple of years ago I worked more hours on both Preload and as a jumper the first week of January than I had all Peak season (more than 70 combined). I can recall myself practically begging for peak to end. And then it abruptly did -- literally within days I was sitting around to earn my 3.5 guarantee.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My center manager has been talking about the Ground threat for as long as I can remember. He was always pushing us to get sales leads and telling us that we need to protect our volume. At first most of the guys, myself included, didn't really take him too seriously, but now his predictions appear to be quite accurate. I have just under 7 years left and know that I will be OK but I think UPS will be a much different company 10-15 years down the line unless something is done to position ourselves to be more competitive with Ground.

Another not-so-subtle two-tier wage structure contract forum proposal from Upstate.

:ashamed:

Do you get a weekly check from the UPS social media department? Because I hope you ain't doing this for free.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We are beyond busy. Simple gift cards doesn't come close to explaining the volume were seeing. Our routes are literally 50 to 75 percent heavier than normal. The FedEx guys I see (Ground and Express) all say that it's not very busy at all. So you tell me what's up.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I can see the gift card thing...but it's way busier than gift cards can account for since most people over here take their gift cards to every shop in town so they can get their stuff today and not in 7-14 business days. Granted online shopping is heavier, but I think most folk still prefer to get their shart today.

purplesky

Another not-so-subtle two-tier wage structure contract forum proposal from Upstate.

:ashamed:

Do you get a weekly check from the UPS social media department? Because I hope you ain't doing this for free.

He has to be a troll. UPS is making record profits and is viewed by Wallstreet as a very solid company. There are only 2 real players in the package shipping industry and both are doing well.

UPS will not be a much different company in 10 years. FDX might be much different in 10 years with their contractor scam issues.:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He has to be a troll. UPS is making record profits and is viewed by Wallstreet as a very solid company. There are only 2 real players in the package shipping industry and both are doing well.

I assure you that I am not a troll. I am simply giving my opinion on what I think the company must do if it hopes to remain competitive with Ground.

UPS will not be a much different company in 10 years. FDX might be much different in 10 years with their contractor scam issues.

You need to remove your Teamster blinders---UPS has changed dramatically in just the 23 years that I have been here. Scratch is going on 37 years and will tell you the same. If you don't think UPS will change dramatically in the next 10 years or so you are in denial.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We are beyond busy. Simple gift cards doesn't come close to explaining the volume were seeing. Our routes are literally 50 to 75 percent heavier than normal. The FedEx guys I see (Ground and Express) all say that it's not very busy at all. So you tell me what's up.

The volume's heavy because of the expansion of the Holiday shopping season coupled with the return to work from an extended Holiday (most schools & white collar jobs were off three weeks this year) and thus the need to play "catch up."

Earlier in the week in my building, we had one of the top-5 heaviest days of the 2012(-13) peak season. Today, it dropped to pre-Thanksgiving levels. The free fall will continue.

Just looking at the phrase "we need to protect our volume". Would be interesting if what UPSers on the cafe' think where the volume in those Fedex Ground trucks came from? Here are some possible answers 1.) UPS 2.) USPS 3.) DHL 4.) New start up companies.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just looking at the phrase "we need to protect our volume". Would be interesting if what UPSers on the cafe' think where the volume in those Fedex Ground trucks came from? Here are some possible answers 1.) UPS 2.) USPS 3.) DHL 4.) New start up companies.

Some of it is new business from an improving economy, and some of it is from former FedEx Express accounts cajoled into using Ground. Most of it is from UPS. Those of you who think UPS is "safe" are kidding yourselves.