The FedEx Ground Threat

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The government has no interest in siding with the worker, therefore bbsam is correct. The system was designed to keep big business afloat and profitable at the expense of everyday people, all the while occasionally throwing working people a bone to keep them passive.

Head fully buried in sand when people believe that elected officials in govt work for the greater good and the common man. The same legislators and crooks lining their pockets at the expense of everyone else.

I don't disagree that government works more for corporations than the common man, but come on. The FedEx Ground setup is way over the top as a favor to one person...Fred S.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't disagree that government works more for corporations than the common man, but come on. The FedEx Ground setup is way over the top as a favor to one person...Fred S.

But if you understand this, then how do you propose UPS and the Teammsters go about challenging Ground? The government has little interest in going after one company and disrupting thousands of others. Fred has found the perfect niche.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Which division of FedEx pays the most in taxes to the federal government as a percentage of their profits? This would be a point of attack on this subject.

TUT

What is interesting is how Fred's name gets into this in full when he didn't even create this model for RPS/Fedex.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If the government wants more tax revenue from FedEx, then changing tax laws concerning about how to tax the Express Division verses how the private contractor mode operates would bring more in.

Limper

Out For Delivery
So you are waiting for me to say something about sales leads and offer you some trinkets from the UPS catalog ?

Its like delivering the AIR on time everyday..do I have to remind you?

Secure your own future don't wait on me/us.

Let me know how I can help.

You really want to help? Create an environment where we CAN grow the business. You set the priorities, not us.
You create the emphasis, not us. Have a conversation with us about what service products we can compete with, and
what products don't compete. Increase the time allowance for drivers bringing in sales leads. Remove the noose from
our necks regarding production. Can that be a starting point.
Regarding on time air, maybe our good numbers reflect our lack of business in this area.

bbsam

Staff member
If the government wants more tax revenue from FedEx, then changing tax laws concerning about how to tax the Express Division verses how the private contractor mode operates would bring more in.
Seems odd, doesn't it? Changing tax law to go after ONE company? Is that even legal?

packageguy

Sorry, I don't see a threat, at least where I deliver,
many of my customers have nothing to say nice
about fdx as far as price my customers tell me they
are about the same.

Lets try something new...like getting out of the building on time...or something really crazy like a good dispatch!!!................................oh wait that will never happen...i 4got who I (we) work for!!!!How about some more telematics...i bet that would help!!!NOT

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Seems odd, doesn't it? Changing tax law to go after ONE company? Is that even legal?

What has doing whats legal got to do with the current administration? It claims to be pro-union, but has done little to help the Teamsters organize Fedex. If it costs more to run as a private contractor, that would help level the playing field with UPS. My original question was more aimed at finding out which division was more profitable as a revenue source to the government. My thinking was that the private contractor mode was chosen by Fred S with the main intention of keeping the Teamsters out.

bbsam

Staff member
RPS used contractors since it's inception and Fred retained the model after buying RPS. And actually, Ground would be technically easier than Express to organize since it is governed under the NLRB while Express languishes under the lash of the far less union friendly RLA

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He or whatever predecessor scrooges surely relied upon billion dollar lawyers, to fine-tooth every possible nook and cranny of every legal entity to exploit business models, labor and everything else related.

It is established that these are legit business practices and business models in the current system.

Nothing is going to change. The vast majority of people will not spend more money on a product or service, even if it means saving or creating(somewhere along the line) family members, friends, etc., of decent paying jobs with benefits. Americans, generally, celebrate crap. ;)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You really want to help? Create an environment where we CAN grow the business. You set the priorities, not us.
You create the emphasis, not us. Have a conversation with us about what service products we can compete with, and
what products don't compete. Increase the time allowance for drivers bringing in sales leads. Remove the noose from
our necks regarding production. Can that be a starting point.
Regarding on time air, maybe our good numbers reflect our lack of business in this area.

First things first, first let's give front-line operations management the ability to choose what color tie they are allowed to wear ;)

overallowed

No $. UPS dropped their NASCAR sponsership. FedEx continues to sponsership the number 11 Denny Hamlin car.
Fedex continues to sponser an entire PGA golf playoff. FedEx sponsers FedEx Field. On and on...........
UPS mantra is cut, cut, cut........
UPS is still the official delivery company of NASCAR. They have an associate sponsorship on Carl Edwards #99 car. I was glad to see them drop David Ragan. He was the master of the 34th place finish.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

You really want to help? Create an environment where we CAN grow

I have seen a stat from UPS stating they deliver (or perhaps I should say WE, the drivers) more air products on-time than any other company. While FedEx transports and delivers the most, if that stat is accurate then UPS' success rate is because they have a good plan (and a professional, motivated workforce to implement it), not because of the amount of volume (or rather the lack thereof).

'Lord Brown's bidding'

You really want to help? Create an environment where we CAN grow the business
While more can be done, I do not think corporate has done a terrible job giving us the opportunity to grow the business, save for not providing (or perhaps reinstating) the means to code time for sales leads. Perhaps UPS is concerned it will be abused. A simple solution is to set "requirements" for its use: if a driver codes out for "ND (business developement)", a corresponding sales lead should be turned in within 48 hours of doing so. If not, the driver's name comes up on a report, leading to the manager either submitting the lead he evodently forgot to turn in, or following up with the driver to find out why he coded the time as such. This leads to a caveat in the use: if an inquiry is made by the driver about business possibilities and it is quickly apparent the business is clearly not interested, the driver really shouldn't use the BD code for that stop. It takes maybe 30 seconds to ask a question/get a response; if you are at stop even a couple mins extra it will be no different than the extra time involved in general with delivering to businesses; good drivers manage their time in such a way that it all works out by the end of the day. The code should only be used when a lead is actually turned in, no exceptions. If a driver wanted to abuse the system by turning in false leads just to use the allowance, this probably can be borne out by noting how many of his leads actually lead to sold leads, or at least general interest shown (I've had several leads closed with the remark "Customer wishes to get info only"; the nature of that response indicates the door is open for future discussion, and the driver planted a seed, and thus wasn't wasting his time).

Even in the absence of the time code, however, if you are regularly turning in leads then suspiciously of the extra time being taken at businesses should not be so severe. Afterall, if questioned about it the driver could simply point out the turned in lead, thus corroberating his account.

Have a conversation with us about what service products we can compete with, and
what products don't compete.
This statement intrigued me. What products of UPS that we deliver don't really work for the customer? Keep in mind the customer is the shipper. They'll offer what works for their needs, which includes getting a satisfied customer for themselves, however there is a balance to be struck between quality and cost. Residential customers may not like surepost, but as long as it is free-and they don't really suffer from bad experiences, like their pkgs go missing, or take too long to arrive-they'll use companies that offer the lowest shipping prices, which are often achieved through surepost. And if a package DOES go missing due to being shipper released, the method for sending a replacement appears relatively simple: by using surepost the company accepted the risk for releasing the package without a signature, so they probably will send a replacement no questions asked. However, a smart company will send that package as a non-shipper release pkg, requiring more vigilence on UPS' and it's drivers' parts. The main point is little hassle for the customer even in a bad situation probably means the consumer uses them again .

Outside of surepost, what other product may not seem to be doing well?