The Fitbit thread. :) TIPS Experiences

image.jpg
I was wondering if anyone else has one on here. I can't believe my stats. Any help or your experiences would be much appreciated.

oldngray

nowhere special
The calories is how
I'm certain it's way off. Even working out 5/6 days my caloric burn estimation is only a little over 3k

Yeah you don't burn off that many calories from exercise itself but it does boost your basal metabolism. Your diet is probably more important.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got you beat, this was yesterday. Tuesday was a little worse! I got a Fitbit Charge HR for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I love it.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1432948790.744572.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I got you beat, this was yesterday. Tuesday was a little worse! I got a Fitbit Charge HR for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I love it.View attachment 41055
I was really thinking about getting one of these but now I don't think so.

There's no way 6000 calories were burned. There's no way you climbed over 200 floors.

If I had to guess its reading arm movements wrong. Sorting shifting moving packages. All of that it's probably reading as steps.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was really thinking about getting one of these but now I don't think so.

There's no way 6000 calories were burned. There's no way you climbed over 200 floors.

If I had to guess its reading arm movements wrong. Sorting shifting moving packages. All of that it's probably reading as steps.
Put it on your belt not your wrist way more accurate

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how it reads going up stairs, how many steps is that? Three, six, twelve steps on a staircase? This was a 170 stop day in a 95% residential area out of a P700. The next time I get stuck in an old car with a 5-speed, I'm thinking about moving it over to my right wrist to see what happens!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know how it reads going up stairs, how many steps is that? Three, six, twelve steps on a staircase? This was a 170 stop day in a 95% residential area out of a P700. The next time I get stuck in an old car with a 5-speed, I'm thinking about moving it over to my right wrist to see what happens!
Yeah. I've always wondered how it kept track of floors. Most my phone has ever said was 75.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just looked on the Fitbit website and was reading a community forum. One was a discussion of inaccurate stair counts that is very common and they are working on a fix. Stairs are read by an altimeter, which measures changes in air pressure. Lots of things affect this like clouds blowing overhead, open car windows, walking up hills versus actual stairs, and so on. Ideally, a change of ten feet of altitude would equal one flight of steps. Driving around all day with the driver's door wide open like we do sounds like it would throw the count off.

oldngray

nowhere special
I just looked on the Fitbit website and was reading a community forum. One was a discussion of inaccurate stair counts that is very common and they are working on a fix. Stairs are read by an altimeter, which measures changes in air pressure. Lots of things affect this like clouds blowing overhead, open car windows, walking up hills versus actual stairs, and so on. Ideally, a change of ten feet of altitude would equal one flight of steps. Driving around all day with the driver's door wide open like we do sounds like it would throw the count off.

How about just driving up and down hills?

Go into the settings and you can switch it from non dominant to dominant hand. This should help a little from what I hear.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Also, if I'm carrying a package with my left arm that the Fitbit is on I imagine I could be losing step counts walking from the car to the delivery point. Moving around sorting packages in the back of the car probably throws the step count off too. I'm too lazy to enter calorie counts for the food I eat.

I noticed there is a UPSers Community on the Fitbit website. Maybe if enough of us are interested we might could start a UPSers/Brown Cafe Community to compete with each other. I realize that our routes and other jobs are different, so the scores will reflect that. You can use any name you want and remain anonymous, just like here.

Last edited:
I woke up last night and walked around trying to find a snack. Then went and slept in the basement. It's got my three floors right.
image.jpg

Also, if I'm carrying a package with my left arm that the Fitbit is on I imagine I could be losing step counts walking from the car to the delivery point. Moving around sorting packages in the back of the car probably throws the step count off too. I'm too lazy to enter calorie counts for the food I eat.

I noticed there is a UPSers Community on the Fitbit website. Maybe if enough of us are interested we might could start a UPSers/Brown Cafe Community to compete with each other. I realize that our routes and other jobs are different, so the scores will reflect that. You can use any name you want and remain anonymous, just like here.
That's an awesome idea scratch.