The focus on 401ks has destroyed the retirement for millions of Americans over the last generation.

The focus on 401ks has destroyed the retirement for millions of Americans over the last generation.
Over the last generation there has been a shift from pensions to do it yourself 401k plans. The idea was pitched during a time when the stock market was in a bull run and Wall Street was excited to open up additional streams of revenue. But now a generation later, the results are rather clear. The 401k has simply not lived up to the promise for millions of Americans. Where pensions had a forced saving mechanism, the 401k with absurd fees, buffet style choices, and complicated structures simply kept many Americans out of the system from investing. This also meant decades of lost compounding and now that millions are entering retirement, they are looking at paltry nest eggs. How did the 401k destroy retirement for millions of Americans?

The 401k fantasy versus reality

The big advantage of traditional pensions was that it was automatic. People had a set amount yanked out and it was managed by professionals. Most had to participate in this plan and in the end, it allowed for a nice amount to accumulate. But the 401k was opt-in for many and the litany of options left many Americans out in the dark. The results are terrible especially for Americans with less education:

Screenshot_2016-09-05-08-59-46.png

bbsam

Staff member
kinda makes me sick reading this.

The same "Titans of Wall Street" that suck all the profit up and distribute the pennies to investors are chiding hard working Americans for not investing what they don't have for a future working class families have very little hope of obtaining. friend off.

newfie

The same "Titans of Wall Street" that suck all the profit up and distribute the pennies to investors are chiding hard working Americans for not investing what they don't have for a future working class families have very little hope of obtaining. friend off.

Hillary?

bbsam

Staff member
Don't kid yourself. Hillary, Donald, local, state, and federal governments and their Corporate America sponsors for the last 40 years. As soon as 2 parent working families began being common, executives all over the country started cashing in.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My 401K has always been above the Median Retirement Savings and I would encourage you to save more as I can't continue to support these inflated averages forever.

brett636

The problem with 401ks is that people simply don't have the discipline to put what they need to put into their 401ks. They get too focused on having the biggest house, go on the most lavish vacations they can afford, buy new cars all the time, and generally live on borrowed money from credit cards. The problem is mostly with the lack of savings, not the 401k program itself. One can generate a healthy retirement income from a 401k if they save consistently over a long period of time. Those who understand the principle of compound growth will benefit from it, those that don't will be paying it. Its that simple.

Pensions on the other hand aren't all that they are cracked up to be. Sure they provide a steady income in your retirement years, but as we have learned from the Central States debacle that money isn't guaranteed. Not to mention the whole host of other Teamster pension funds that are on the ropes as well. I've said it before on here and I will say it again, if I could opt out of my pension and have that money redirected to my 401k I would take that in a heartbeat. If I had control of that money at least I would have the piece of mind knowing I can manage it well enough to ensure it will be there when I need it.

brett636

Don't kid yourself. Hillary, Donald, local, state, and federal governments and their Corporate America sponsors for the last 40 years. As soon as 2 parent working families began being common, executives all over the country started cashing in.

None of those people you mentioned have anything to do with your lack of financial discipline. As someone who is self employed you have the ability to contribute to a SEP which has far higher contribution limits than our 401ks do. Take advantage of that and put away all those big bucks Fred is paying you. If anything do it so the government won't have another excuse to try to dig into my retirement savings.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
None of those people you mentioned have anything to do with your lack of financial discipline.
So in your mind, the money that companies are no longer contributing to pensions, has all gone to the workers, and those workers are just irresponsible for not investing this imaginary money?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I click on post#12 Derail list and nothing comes up.
Has DriveInDriveOut reached his limit on derails for the year?

brett636

So in your mind, the money that companies are no longer contributing to pensions, has all gone to the workers, and those workers are just irresponsible for not investing this imaginary money?

Do you have no understanding of compound growth and what it can mean to those who take advantage of it?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Do you have no understanding of not being able to invest what you don't have? The money companies spent on pensions was not transferred to the workers.
The Central States pension has always been mismanaged and very little had been done to correct the issue.
UPS bought out of the pension fund and for good reasons.
The fact that many UPS workers fail to stay on until they become vested ( For me it was 10yrs ) is the only thing keeping our pensions alive.

brett636

Do you have no understanding of not being able to invest what you don't have? The money companies spent on pensions was not transferred to the workers. TTKU.

Don't give me that BS. When I was making $15k/yr. I was able to save up a down payment on a foreclosed house that needed significant work, qualify for a mortgage, and I still invested money in my 401k. Anyone who actually wants to invest money into their future can, but it takes sacrifices today. As of now my 401k savings are well above the norm and by the time I retire will return 2-3 times more than my pension will in income.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The Central States pension has always been mismanaged and very little had been done to correct the issue.
UPS bought out of the pension fund and for good reasons.
The fact that many UPS workers fail to stay on until they become vested ( For me it was 10yrs ) is the only thing keeping our pensions alive.
Ok. So it's better to get rid of pensions and let the company keep all the money?