The Further Adventures of Gumby and Pokey and other Sidekicks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All of you are telling me not do it, but none of you have answered one of my main questions :/

If I stay with the Union, how does it work for me to get a good career at UPS?
And not a career as a driver.
Can anyone please explain that to me? Im just trying to learn here and all of you guys treat me like an ass.

There is no career at UPS as a Union employee.
There are hard manual jobs that pay well due to the sacrifice of your body ( and mind as you've seen on here) and an expectation pushing yourself to extreme productivity.
The only Union job at UPS that one could consider a career-type job is a Feeder Driver (CDL Tractor-Trailer).

UPS does offer one the ability after a period of time to make very good money - Full-timer.

One thing I think I noticed ... you seem to think there is a career with UPS that will allow you to work at UPS your entire work lifetime. That is a concept that died out decades ago at most Corporations. It has died out as a possibility at UPS in the last couple of decades.

UPS may offer one opportunities in a career path if you have a degree in a field in which they have a need.
There should be no expectation that anyone in a career path at UPS will work for UPS for their entire work lifetime.
That is not the nature of careers ... one should plan to work for at least 5 companies/corporations during their work lifetime in a career. It is common to start out for a company and work at a couple of other companies and then return to your first company.

There is no career at UPS as a Union employee.
There are hard manual jobs that pay well due to the sacrifice of your body ( and mind as you've seen on here) and an expectation pushing yourself to extreme productivity.
The only Union job at UPS that one could consider a career-type job is a Feeder Driver (CDL Tractor-Trailer).

UPS Union jobs do offer one the ability after a period of time to make very good money - Full-timer.

First thing - You need to understand what a career is and then understand whether you are looking for a real career (Lawyer, Engineer, Accountant, Finance, Sales, etc.) or a series of job-assignments that round out your experience at UPS.
Another thing I think I noticed ... you seem to think there is a career with UPS that will allow you to work at UPS your entire work lifetime. That is a concept that died out decades ago at most Corporations. It has died out as a possibility at UPS in the last couple of decades. There will be exceptions but to make the most money, you will have to work for multiple companies to develop and maximize your career.

UPS may offer one opportunities in a career path if you have a degree in a field in which they have a need.
There should be no expectation that anyone in a career path at UPS will work for UPS for their entire work lifetime.
That is not the nature of careers ... one should plan to work for at least 5 companies/corporations during their work lifetime in a career. It is common to start out for a company and work at a couple of other companies and then return to your first company.
Quit acting like a sup! you are retired, remember? Just because you do not need a college degree to be a driver, doesnt mean you do not use common sense! Unlike the " so called educated management team" Quit being a hater!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quit acting like a sup! you are retired, remember? Just because you do not need a college degree to be a driver, doesnt mean you do not use common sense! Unlike the " so called educated management team" Quit being a hater!
My post was not directed to you or other drivers but rather to a 20 year old who is asking about career opportunities at UPS and how to start down that path.
Hopefully, he will ask more questions and I will give him advice as I am able.

I don't hate drivers.
It is a very hard job, possibly the hardest job I had at UPS, although in no way the most mentally taxing.
Driving is a rather straightforward job that requires persistence and discipline and a job in which you can't slack off for an afternoon to revitalize yourself.

No hate at all but lots of respect.

My post was not directed to you or other drivers but rather to a 20 year old who is asking about career opportunities at UPS and how to start down that path.
Hopefully, he will ask more questions and I will give him advice as I am able.

I don't hate drivers.
It is a very hard job, possibly the hardest job I had at UPS, although in no way the most mentally taxing.
Driving is a rather straightforward job that requires persistence and discipline and a job in which you can't slack off for an afternoon to revitalize yourself.

No hate at all but lots of respect.
To be honest...most of your posts do not show It! I know we make a good buck, but dont treat me (us) like a whore! maybe, just maybe.....one day the company will learn that! its alot of responsibility to do this job!Iits alot of hard work and quick thinking. Thats something you cant learn Iin school , no matter how smart you are. .....I need another beer....before I get Serious!

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To be honest...most of your posts do not show It! I know we make a good buck, but dont treat me (us) like a whore! maybe, just maybe.....one day the company will learn that! its alot of responsibility to do this job!Iits alot of hard work and quick thinking. Thats something you cant learn Iin school , no matter how smart you are. .....I need another beer....before I get Serious!
I fixed your attempt to use the Quote function ... you're welcome.

It's not me that treats you like a whore ... that is Pokey.
Gumby and Pokey walking holding hands.jpg

I agree with all the rest except maybe you don't need another beer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Have another beer Ive...you deserve it...lol.

Hoaxster, You do not consider a package car or tractor mechanic a skilled career? With skills and tools he can take with him from one job or area of the country to another and always make good money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ill give you the same answer as always, Its a good diferent...............Its like a Red head with big hooters, versus a blonde, with nice curves!..some of this, some of that!.....Dont ask me, Im just an uneducated........truck driver!
Except you ain't getting some of this or that....lmao. Sorry....couldn't resist! And you're the smartest, uneducated driver I know....and I know a lot of drivers! lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, You do not consider a package car or tractor mechanic a skilled career? With skills and tools he can take with him from one job or area of the country to another and always make good money.
Package Car - sorry but no. Name a non-UPS school where a high school graduate can go and take two years of trade school to qualify for a Package Car driver. Just does not make sense.

Mechanic - definitely and especially if he/she is certified and trained.