The Ghetto

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So this bid I decided to stop covering (swing to some of you) and take a bid route. It's in the city and the resi stuff is in supposedly the worst area of the city.

I'd like to hear from some who have delivered in bad areas, what it's like, what you do differently on that type of route, etc.

One guy was telling me when he got around a group of scary people in the ghetto he'd start talking to himself, acting like he was arguing with the ground and people stayed away from him thinking he was crazy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What a different world some of you put up with. Where I am, a DWI is headline news in the local paper. People go out for walks and leave everything unlocked.

CaliforniaPaul

So this bid I decided to stop covering (swing to some of you) and take a bid route. It's in the city and the resi stuff is in supposedly the worst area of the city.

I'd like to hear from some who have delivered in bad areas, what it's like, what you do differently on that type of route, etc.

One guy was telling me when he got around a group of scary people in the ghetto he'd start talking to himself, acting like he was arguing with the ground and people stayed away from him thinking he was crazy.
We always had the driver do "the Getto" the first thing in the morning before the tenants got restless!!

oldngray

nowhere special
It depends how bad the area is. There are places not even the cops will go to after dark but usually you are OK as long as you don't act like a scared little rabbit.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Oh and that guy said the on-car in that area is big on honking at every stop in those areas because it helps get signatures. In the nice areas I was covering I've only honked at a stop if I was going to be blocking someone in, possibly in a situation where I could be backed into or at a business stop when they wanted to be alerted I had arrived.

upschuck

I trained on a route that was were most the murders happened in the city. Once they get to know you, I find that it is not that bad of an area. They are some of the most genuinely friendliest and nicest people.

The bad part is once the city had a riot, and rock and stuff was hurled at the car and had to keep doors shut. I wasn't running it at the time.

oldngray

nowhere special
Oh and that guy said the on-car in that area is big on honking at every stop in those areas because it helps get signatures. In the nice areas I was covering I've only honked at a stop if I was going to be blocking someone in, possibly in a situation where I could be backed into or at a business stop when they wanted to be alerted I had arrived.

Don't honk unless you have to. You only alert thieves you are delivering a package. The people getting the delivery won't get up and go to their door any faster anyway. And once the people get to know you they will mostly leave you alone. Most of the older people are nice. Its the young thug punks who cause trouble.

BigBrown609

I deliver in a bad city everyday. I've gotten robbed, been in a bank during a bank robbery, and right next to a shootout where the cops shot a guy dead. In less than a year lol. Deliver the worst neighborhoods before it gets dark. Keep your phone and wallet locked in the back of the truck. Carry $20-40 cash on you at all times so you have something to give them if they rob you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

I deliver in a bad city everyday. I've gotten robbed, been in a bank during a bank robbery, and right next to a shootout where the cops shot a guy dead. In less than a year lol. Deliver the worst neighborhoods before it gets dark. Keep your phone and wallet locked in the back of the truck. Carry $20-40 cash on you at all times so you have something to give them if they rob you.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Good advice.

MethodsMan

I deliver in sketchy areas. You just don't show any fear. Ghetto people are like sharks they can smell blood in the water. Walk past give a little bit of eye contact and a head nod. Don't seem afraid, they salivate over that.

I spent my youth in an area though where you had a to be street smart and have some cajones.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We always had the driver do "the Getto" the first thing in the morning before the tenants got restless!!

Are you sure you don't mean before they got up? One of the routes I run is considered the ghetto (Section 8, needles and broken glass bottles everywhere, been a few murders on route, and 745 BMW's sitting in front of the houses with eviction notices).

You know they don't usually wake up before 1230 or 1 o'clock, since they stay up til 3 every morning.

Don't act scared of them, and they'll be all right with you. The only thing you typically have to worry about are kids jumping on the rear bumper, or tossing rocks.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I talked to a driver that used to deliver in the hood and he told me that the best thing to do was to get on the good side of the local recreational pharmaceutical sales representative. He said that those guys would put the word out to leave the UPS guy alone.

Pooter

Just be aware of your surroundings. Always deliver front door or side, never back.

Treat everyone nice. Don't ignore if they engage conversation. Ignoring is a sign of disrespect.

Most important thing to look out for is dogs. Most houses have them for protection. Abandoned houses tend to have mean strays.

Don't forget to have fun :D

JL 0513

Before bidding, look to see if the area is run by Democrats or Republicans. It goes without saying which one to stay the hell away from. :wink2:

All across the country it is is universal. The crappiest, poorest areas are run by one party. People never learn.

OK, sorry to get political. Flame suit on.