The guy that was loading with me stole a package

chev

Nightcrawler
You really are obligated to report this if you know he stole the contents of the package. It then becomes the responsibility of the company to catch him in the act. They are good at surveillance once they have a lead on someone. Don't let your loading buddy paint a target on your back because he is a crook. :peaceful:

LKLND3380

we were both logged into the trailer and he like an idiot through the empty box back into the trailer. Is there any way I can be blamed for it? Should I just tell the supervisor? I don't know what to do. why did I have to be put in this kind of situation.

You can get fired for not reporting it... Since you were both in the same trailer you could be charged as being involved.

Report it to your union steward and have them with you when you report it to your supe...

SQUIRREL78

You really are obligated to report this if you know he stole the contents of the package. It then becomes the responsibility of the company to catch him in the act. They are good at surveillance once they have a lead on someone. Don't let your loading buddy paint a target on your back because he is a crook. :peaceful:
I agree, it's better if you say something before they start asking the other guy and tries to blame you.

There is also a supposed reward, up to 50k, for the information that leads to a conviction of theft from UPS, but I've never heard of anyone getting any money whatsoever for said information.

I can't speak for all Hubs, but for the most part, the reward is bunk. UPS doesn't prosecute. (Maybe only in certain circumstances) They don't want the bad PR. Every time I heard/seen this happen, the person was simply fired.

DS

Fenderbender
I can't speak for all Hubs, but for the most part, the reward is bunk. UPS doesn't prosecute. (Maybe only in certain circumstances) They don't want the bad PR. Every time I heard/seen this happen, the person was simply fired.
Not where I am,they have them led out in handcuffs.

Braveheart

Call the 1-800 number at the very least. If you do it in person take a shop steward with you or any person you can trust to protect you and the info from leaking.

You do not want to get falsely accused by a sup or the real crook.

Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To add to what DS was saying, we had a FT driver who didn't feel that he should pay (or even file) his share of State/Federal income taxes. He was led out of the center in handcuffs--they paraded him in front of the other drivers on his way out on purpose. He spent the summer in a minimum security facility and, much to our amazement, came back to work and retired shortly thereafter.

chev

Nightcrawler
To add to what DS was saying, we had a FT driver who didn't feel that he should pay (or even file) his share of State/Federal income taxes. He was led out of the center in handcuffs--they paraded him in front of the other drivers on his way out on purpose. He spent the summer in a minimum security facility and, much to our amazement, came back to work and retired shortly thereafter.
That's gotta suck being totally humiliated in front of your co-workers and then coming back to face them after your stint in the slammer. He must have been really cheating on his "highway government robbery" to get that kind of treatment. :surprised:

rod

Retired 22 years
That's gotta suck being totally humiliated in front of your co-workers and then coming back to face them after your stint in the slammer. He must have been really cheating on his "highway government robbery" to get that kind of treatment. :surprised:

He probably settled with the government for about 10 cents on the dollar and ended up being the winner of the whole deal:peaceful:

speedbug

stop scaring this kid, he can not get fired for not reporting it. It is LP's job to catch thieves not his. There is no way the termination would hold up at panel. big brown would know better than try.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

stop scaring this kid, he can not get fired for not reporting it. It is LP's job to catch thieves not his. There is no way the termination would hold up at panel. big brown would know better than try.

It's called integrity a.k.a. "doing the right thing". The longer he waits the greater chance that he may be implicated.

Let's turn this around for a moment. Suppose he saw someone key your car while it is parked at work. According to you, it is not his place to report this or do anything about this but it is up to UPS to handle this. Meanwhile, you have to deal with getting your car repaired, paying the deductible, and all the while wondering who would do this to your car.

Integrity--pass it on. It's not just a commercial but should be a philosophy that we incorporate into our lives.

iowa boy

Integrity--pass it on. It's not just a commercial but should be a philosophy that we incorporate into our lives.[/quote]

best quote i've seen on here in a long time!

drewed

Shankman

If it came up as a pilfired at the next center, they go back to who loaded it in the previous center.....they interview the 2 people that loaded it, then its he said, he said.....without concrete evidence (like someone coming forward when it happened) they could just fire the both of them.

It is LPs job to catch it, but its upto EVERY employee to report pilfiered packages, LP cant be in every trailer in every center to see if things get pilfired

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Why does everything have to boil down to the panel. You think those guys wanna waste their time over some silly issue like this one. No one is scaring anybody. Do the right thing the first time and you'll never have to be worried and biting your nails about it ever again. Why go through life wondering if you'll be blamed, when you can just walk over to someone and tell them what you observed. We're grown ups here for goodness sakes. Our careers shouldn't crumble a few years from now because of unresolved issues from the past. Be a standup person now and you'll have a firm footing in the future.

chev

Nightcrawler
This is not intended to scare anyone. It's called covering your butt. Why put yourself through the hassle of being investigated when you can nip it in the bud right off the bat.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why does everything have to boil down to the panel. You think those guys wanna waste their time over some silly issue like this one.

Unfortunately, they do have to waste their time on silly things like this. This question shouldn't have needed to be asked in the first place. But, some people just don't get it. There is little integrity left in this world any more.

Last edited:

chev

Nightcrawler
Unfortunately, they do have to waste their time on silly things like this. This question shouldn't have needed to be asked in the first place. But, some people just don't get it. There is little integrity left in this world any more.
I agree with that.

Last edited:

evilleace

Just do the right thing and tell your sups but tell them NOW don't wait you wouldn't like it if your package was stolen and nobody reported it.

k_Loader_Airhub

Tell your Sup most honest thing to do. Reward is different story. Working for contract long ago Eagle Avation. I Reported twice , for Two guys had a clock out scam going , for the longest time before i caught on to it and turned them in , What did i get , Not a thing from ups.​