The Holiday Fail

bacha29

I never said anything about being behind. What I said was that in coming years UPS will pull ahead because of their all in one operation they will have an advantage and X's disconnected operation may have a harder time adapting to change no matter how much cheap labor it has at it's disposal and as for Mr. Fedex's comments keep in mind that Smith will turn 75 in 4 years and the corporations bylaws were amended to raise the retirement age to 75 . Mandatory retirement will at some time or another change the makeup of the board.

bbsam

Staff member
I never said anything about being behind. What I said was that in coming years UPS will pull ahead because of their all in one operation they will have an advantage and X's disconnected operation may have a harder time adapting to change no matter how much cheap labor it has at it's disposal and as for Mr. Fedex's comments keep in mind that Smith will turn 75 in 4 years and the corporations bylaws were amended to raise the retirement age to 75 . Mandatory retirement will at some time or another change the makeup of the board.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Expressl and Ground have always been separated and I don't know of a single instance when we have lost considerable market share. In fact, we seem to gain market share over any considerable period of time.

On a broader note, we were clean and had smooth sailing from Tuesday on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Again, pulling ahead implies that we are behind....

How about "pull further ahead...."?

Meat

I prefer Asian beers...geez. Yes, it's absurd that I happen to be correct most of the time. Go beat your name.
My "name" is derived from the fact that I am the exclusive purveyor of a popular line of meat products in my region - I work part-time as a service agent, so I can take a third and fourth vacation each year.

You may be right "most of the time," but the mistakes you have made will have an indelible negative impact on your life.

For instance, do you ever think about what you would have done with the additional 300,000 - 500,000 in additional net-worth you would have had if you chose to finish your career at UPS?

bacha29

EXcellent point Package Dude. They did retire a lot of old planes. Some of them by their own admission date back into the early 1970"s. They were always waaaaing about their high cost of operation but if they were air worthy I bet they could have made a difference.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My "name" is derived from the fact that I am the exclusive purveyor of a popular line of meat products in my region - I work part-time as a service agent, so I can take a third and fourth vacation each year.

You may be right "most of the time," but the mistakes you have made will have an indelible negative impact on your life.

For instance, do you ever think about what you would have done with the additional 300,000 - 500,000 in additional net-worth you would have had if you chose to finish your career at UPS?

Well, good for you with your popular meat. If you'd been here longer you'd know that one of my biggest reasons for being on here is to convince others not to stay with FedEx as I (and many others) did. By the time FedEx got really bad, I already was too old to start over as a handler at UPS and work my way back up.

But you're new, so you probably had no idea. Now you know...the rest of the story.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
EXcellent point Package Dude. They did retire a lot of old planes. Some of them by their own admission date back into the early 1970"s. They were always waaaaing about their high cost of operation but if they were air worthy I bet they could have made a difference.

FedEx has been retiring a lot of not so old planes, resulting in a lift shortage. Lately, they've sent 7 more A310's, A300's, an MD10, and an MD11 into the desert. I forget the breakdown of aircraft types, but the net effect is a reduction in lift as FedEx replaces them with used 757s, and new 767 and 777s. Fred wants a more fuel-efficient fleet, but he cannot move as much freight.

Mr. Smith was very short-sighted when he continued to buy and convert passenger DC10s up until about 2005 or so. These aircraft were already obsolete, but FedEx was claiming they'd get another 20 years out of the MD10 fleet. He should have been buying new 767s instead, like UPS did.

dex 84

That would be poor management, as in knowingly accepting freight that probably wouldn't move. I'm amazed that it wasn't a bigger fail given all of the turnover and bad decision-making.

Yeah, makes no sense to take it and let it sit. Let it sit at the amazon facility, pick it up when you can do something with it.

Unless you're just trying to take all the freight in to get as much business as possible without any intention of actually delivering it on time.

Meat

If you'd been here longer you'd know that one of my biggest reasons for being on here is to convince others not to stay with FedEx as I (and many others) did.

Are you :censored2:ing kidding me? You think your providing some insightful information?

Here's a snippet of dialogue from my station that takes place on a daily basis:

SM: "How was your day?"

AEE (average express employee): "Just another day at the DEJ." - DEJ is the acronym the entire station has adopted for "dead end job."

SM (on a good day): "Yeah, I hear you."

SM (on a bad day): "Well, it's not company policy, but I will give you a good recommendation if you want to put me down as a reference, and start applying for other jobs."

AEE: DEAD SILENCE

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you :censored2:ing kidding me? You think your providing some insightful information?

Here's a snippet of dialogue from my station that takes place on a daily basis:

SM: "How was your day?"

AEE (average express employee): "Just another day at the DEJ." - DEJ is the acronym the entire station has adopted for "dead end job."

SM (on a good day): "Yeah, I hear you."

SM (on a bad day): "Well, it's not company policy, but I will give you a good recommendation if you want to put me down as a reference, and start applying for other jobs."

AEE: DEAD SILENCE

OK, genius. You obviously have it all figured out.