the human knee

I GOT ONE MORE

Anybody out there ever had knee surgery to repair ligament and/or meniscus damage?

Assuming a successful outcome, what were the hurdles on returning to work?

I would assume, at the very least, a DOT physical passing grade.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Speaking of what forced my retirement from UPS, I have been through what you have. To both knees, and multiple times on the right.

Me is correct, the company doc will see you after your surgeon releases you. It is he that will OK you to come back, dot has nothing to say in the matter.

What is interesting is that when the original injury occured, it was to the left knee. Doctors told them no climbing or stairs, and minimal walking.

So they put me on TAW, washing windshields on the package cars. I should have refused, and let the company, union, and doctor fight it out,
but you work as instructed until the union has the time to hold your hearing.

The second day, I was exiting a package car, trying to protect me left knee, and totally twisted my right, causing me to fall.

Fast forward, after surgery on both knees, the surgeon told the company he was ready to send me back to work, but wanted to see a copy of the
expected work that I would be performing. I never knew UPS had a form for each job, but the Liberty nurse pulled out a form, and he started to
check off what I could and could not do. There were a lot of items he would not clear me to do, because it would cause more damage, and the next
option is a metal knee. And that for sure would keep me off the road.

Come to find out, it was the feeder job description she had given him, knowing full well I was in delivery. Long and short of it, he said I could not
do feeder work due to the damage to the knees. I do assume she gave him the wrong form by accident, but what would have happened if he
cleared me for feeders, but they put me back in delivery?

Anyway, I have had multiple surgerys on the right knee. The left knee is completely healed and never gives me any problem. The right one is always
very sore, and many nights keeps me awake.

So, from what I have experienced first hand, follow the doc's advice precisely, do your best in rehab, then protect your knees.

Also, if you are stuck in one of the older package cars, the ones with the first step just below your navel, get management to change package cars.
if they dont, file, and get the doctor involved.

Good luck.

d

I GOT ONE MORE

Speaking of what forced my retirement from UPS, I have been through what you have. To both knees, and multiple times on the right.

Me is correct, the company doc will see you after your surgeon releases you. It is he that will OK you to come back, dot has nothing to say in the matter.

What is interesting is that when the original injury occured, it was to the left knee. Doctors told them no climbing or stairs, and minimal walking.

So they put me on TAW, washing windshields on the package cars. I should have refused, and let the company, union, and doctor fight it out,
but you work as instructed until the union has the time to hold your hearing.

The second day, I was exiting a package car, trying to protect me left knee, and totally twisted my right, causing me to fall.

Fast forward, after surgery on both knees, the surgeon told the company he was ready to send me back to work, but wanted to see a copy of the
expected work that I would be performing. I never knew UPS had a form for each job, but the Liberty nurse pulled out a form, and he started to
check off what I could and could not do. There were a lot of items he would not clear me to do, because it would cause more damage, and the next
option is a metal knee. And that for sure would keep me off the road.

Come to find out, it was the feeder job description she had given him, knowing full well I was in delivery. Long and short of it, he said I could not
do feeder work due to the damage to the knees. I do assume she gave him the wrong form by accident, but what would have happened if he
cleared me for feeders, but they put me back in delivery?

Anyway, I have had multiple surgerys on the right knee. The left knee is completely healed and never gives me any problem. The right one is always
very sore, and many nights keeps me awake.

So, from what I have experienced first hand, follow the doc's advice precisely, do your best in rehab, then protect your knees.

Also, if you are stuck in one of the older package cars, the ones with the first step just below your navel, get management to change package cars.
if they dont, file, and get the doctor involved.

Good luck.
d

What does a company doctor do compared to a DOT physical? Is it some sort of physical or just a paperwork check or both?

If you don't mind, Danny, what were your knee injuries ...anatomically speaking. And what kind of surgeries did you have? Rehab time?

Also, your navel level step comment made me laugh good.

Johney

What you may be asked to perform is a "Functional Capacity Evaluation". This will consist of a couple of hours of doing things you would do while performing your regular job duties. This can be done by a Physical Therapist. Although not always done,this is usually done if you've been out for a long period of time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What you may be asked to perform is a "Functional Capacity Evaluation". This will consist of a couple of hours of doing things you would do while performing your regular job duties. This can be done by a Physical Therapist. Although not always done,this is usually done if you've been out for a long period of time.
Here, your doctor orders those.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a torn ACL and meniscus damage due to a motorcycle accident prior to my employment with UPS. I have a donor ACL in my left knee. I have had no serious issues with working for UPS. Make sure that you are 100% before returning to work. The key is strengthening.

raceanoncr

Had meniscus in both knees. Off a month for each one. Returned to work. Had Co. doc note in hand...nobody asked for it...so I didn't turn it in.

Were both sore and hard to function for a time, but was in feeders, so all I had to really do was drive, which was REALLY difficult because they would stiffen up and was real hard to climb out for a time.

Now, about 9 yrs later, don't even know it.

Now, ask about hips and ankles. I got stories on those too.

Good luck.

I GOT ONE MORE

I had a torn ACL and meniscus damage due to a motorcycle accident prior to my employment with UPS. I have a donor ACL in my left knee. I have had no serious issues with working for UPS. Make sure that you are 100% before returning to work. The key is strengthening.

Thanks dilli for your response. I have been learning about autograft vs allograft. There are very good pros for the allo, but the cons are scary. I'm sure screening is improved as time goes by and one should not worry about the 1 in a million. Very happy to hear you procedure went well. How long ago did you have your reconstruction?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks dilli for your response. I have been learning about autograft vs allograft. There are very good pros for the allo, but the cons are scary. I'm sure screening is improved as time goes by and one should not worry about the 1 in a million. Very happy to hear you procedure went well. How long ago did you have your reconstruction?
I had mine done 7/16/01. My ACL was completely detached so I had no choice as to having the replacement. My surgeon was the surgeon for the Phoenix Suns at the time (not sure if he still is). He did arthroscopic surgery. In and out the same day. All totaled, I was out 8 months. I had no side effects, then or now. The only negative thing that I experience is some stiffening if I stay in one position to long. It's worked out really well with work because I'm moving all the time but it does take time to get completely back in shape.

As far as allograft vs autograft, I'm happy with the allograft. Didn't bother me. In fact, I think I prefer it. That way all my other muscles are where they are supposed to be.
:happy2:

helenofcalifornia

Have had each knee go out on me several times. And now have two total knee replacements. Not as good as the original of course, but not as painful either. Kinda awkward walking for the first 5-10 steps after sitting for a long while, but all in all, I am still working and driving a package car.

Find a doctor that will work with you. I have always tried to personalize myself to the doctor so that they will remember me from all the other patients. I have found that calling them by their first name gets their attention right off the bat. Then I schmooze. Politics, its all about politics and how you play the game.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
I had knee scoped in 2002. Suffered a torn meniscus. My surgeon was an old school doctor in his 70's. Although i've have some problems since then i've elected not to follow up with further surgery. Ocassionally it will slip out on me 3 or 4 times a year but i've learned how to deal with it and tweak it back into place. For the most part I dont have any problems but I feel like the surgery was not done correctly. Since I filed workmans comp the first I have been tenative to follow up with the company and the fact that I cannot afford to be off work due to constant cut backs and layoffs i've pretty much learned to deal with it.

I GOT ONE MORE

Thanks for the replies. Some good insight.

Had the procedure performed.
I know, for the long term, it was the right thing to do because of the frequent pain and instability.
But short term, I find myself second guessing.

I'm past the pain peak and off meds, yet still with discomfort.
I feel like I'm on house arrest with a couple of comfortable locations to camp out, with an ankle to hip brace locked in a position to keep the knee straight for another week or so. No motion machine.

I won't start any real physical therapy until the end of the month. I'm guessing there will be more pain involved, but I will deal with it one day at a time.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact it takes months to recover from this.

Frankly, and as perverse as it sounds, I'd much rather be working peak than dealing with this.