The Hypocrisy of UPS Safety

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
For 3 months, UPS supervisors stand there and tells you that "walking like a duck or penguin" is the correct way to walk on slippery driveways and ice. THEN, someone in our district gets hurt walking on ice in a driveway !!!

Now, apparently, the driver should have known that there was ice there and should have EC'd the stop. This company can not have it both ways. This company's safety committee makes a mockery of drivers who do the right thing and do it the way they're told. This kind of corporate stupidity in our company shows how laughable their daily rhetoric of safety really is. I can't wait to EC every stop I drive to in the dark during our next freeze.

JL 0513

I love how we're sent out in blizzards to deliver cardboard. Days in which just about every business is closed. Everyone gets the day off when all they have to do is drive to and from work. We have to make 150 stops and drive 75 miles (average) during a blizzard going from one closed business to another. Then all the people at home with the day off are always shocked to see us with their package. Safety? BS!

BrownTexas

Safety meetings 3 times a week for new drivers. New driver has accident. Have to cancel next safety meeting because there are too many people with 9.5s.

"Safety first" is a joke. More like Safety first, until it gets in the way of production. Then "Production first. Safety second, if at all."

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For 3 months, UPS supervisors stand there and tells you that "walking like a duck or penguin" is the correct way to walk on slippery driveways and ice. THEN, someone in our district gets hurt walking on ice in a driveway !!!

Now, apparently, the driver should have known that there was ice there and should have EC'd the stop. This company can not have it both ways. This company's safety committee makes a mockery of drivers who do the right thing and do it the way they're told. This kind of corporate stupidity in our company shows how laughable their daily rhetoric of safety really is. I can't wait to EC every stop I drive to in the dark during our next freeze.
I've seen a driver step out of the truck onto ice. Well apparently it was a pothole and not real thick. Broke through and broke his ankle. Driver should of had 3 points of contact. He didn't hold onto the handle long enough.

3 weeks later a driver slips while still holding onto the handle. Rips his bicep off the bone. Driver should of let go of the handle sooner.

Lmao

35years

Gravy route
200.gif

watdaflock?

Dumbest safety method UPS preaches is not bending at the waist to stretch your lower back. FYI ups - Just hands on your hips is not a stretch.
And they wonder why lower back is one of the most common injuries.

Our management has never been trained on instructing employees how to properly stretch.

* Never force a stretch.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My old center manager was a short fat guy who looked like a bit like a penguin anyway. The first time he demonstrated the "penguin ice walk technique" I nearly spit my coffee up.

BatmanReturns380-3.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
I've seen a driver step out of the truck onto ice. Well apparently it was a pothole and not real thick. Broke through and broke his ankle. Driver should of had 3 points of contact. He didn't hold onto the handle long enough.

3 weeks later a driver slips while still holding onto the handle. Rips his bicep off the bone. Driver should of let go of the handle sooner.

Lmao

Something similar happened to me. I slipped stepping out of truck. I followed methods and had 3 points of contact. My hand got stuck in the handle when I slipped and I tore a rotator cuff.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
No one should be surprised by contradictory edicts from management. That way, no matter what, it will always be our fault. Have a strain? You didn't stretch. Slip on Ice? You didn't wear your cleats. I actually had a center manager get mad because I didn't have any EC's. He would have jumped on my back if I had EC'ed them and the customer called in a complaint.

Packmule

Love having to do the turnaround first on a deadend street, then walking the package across an icy road instead of stepping off onto a bone dry shoveled sidewalk. I get the back first policy. Do it in my personal vehicles. But the 100 foot part of that policy is insane.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Love having to do the turnaround first on a deadend street, then walking the package across an icy road instead of stepping off onto a bone dry shoveled sidewalk. I get the back first policy. Do it in my personal vehicles. But the 100 foot part of that policy is insane.

It's actually 500'.