The Jersey Bounce.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Last week I heard that Camden, NJ laid off half its police and fire departments. The article stated that Camden is a crime ridden city and things were looking dire. Any drivers or residents having problems?

johnoutdoors

Camden just had the layoff, that being said Camden is perennially the #1 or #2 most dangerous city in the country, they always have problems. I think they're gonna be in for some bad times very soon. Newark, NJ had a layoff in Nov and have seen their crime stats go through the roof, 17 murders in 3 months, carjackings, shootings, you name it. I think Camden is going to see the same spike, and Atlantic City is in the process too.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I do not live to far from Camden .At one time I worked there. I feel sorry for the people who live there.Political coruption has been the rule since the 70's .The state has given them money and it finds its way into the corupt politician's pockets.Gov.Christie has said enough aid so something had to give.Now the drug dealers rule the corners,you don't want to ride through there.We have a good number of people in our hub who live there not a nice place these days.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Let all the citizens carry guns and lets see how the crime rate changes!! I assure you, a criminal would think twice about carjacking someone if they thought there was a possibility of that vehicles occupant was packing a 44MAG!!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
This is how a lot of people die in Camden ,NJ I do not think arming the citizens would help.................
CAMDEN — A city man has been charged with shooting an apparent innocent bystander to death as she walked to a deli, Camden County Prosecutor Warren Faulk said.

Taurean Houston, 28, of the 1100 block of Baring Street is charged with murder. He was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals during a car stop in Camden. He was in the Camden County Jail on Sunday pending an arraignment likely to be scheduled Monday.

Houston is charged with shooting Anjanea Williams, 20, about 2 p.m. Thursday on the 1700 block of Broadway. She was pronounced dead at Cooper Hospital in Camden about 10 p.m. Thursday.

Williams was not the intended target of the shooting and police continue to investigate the circumstances that led to this death, a spokesman for Faulk said.

The murder was the first since one-third of the city police force was laid off on Tuesday for budgetary reasons.

klein

Für Meno :)
If everybody is armed, there will still be carjackings.
Just that the criminal will shoot first, then take the car.
Won't think twice, you're right grg !

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
A lot of the cars in Camden at night are the people comming in from the suburbs to buy drugs. Camden does have some nice things though,Rutgers University Camden campus,Camden County College campus, Campbell Soup Headquaters, The Camden Aquarium,The E center(major concert venue), Cooper Regional Medical and Trauma Center.All these can be reached though via Rt 676 bypass without driving through the real city streets which are very dangerous.

johnoutdoors

What they need is more citizens with LTC.

Almost no such thing in NJ. Can be up to 6 months for a purchase permit, and almost no one has a carry permit. I know of a couple State Troopers who were denied for carry permits after retiring, and a victim of a violent crime who was denied. Gotta love restrictions on the honest people who abide the law.

ups2000

me and my family visited philly last sept and we had a got a hotel in new jersey. and we got lost on are way to hotel which happened to be camden nj. luckly while only being lost for a few minutes we spot a cop and he let us out of city. didnt seem to bad . in the daylight ne way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

me and my family visited philly last sept and we had a got a hotel in new jersey. and we got lost on are way to hotel which happened to be camden nj. luckly while only being lost for a few minutes we spot a cop and he let us out of city. didnt seem to bad . in the daylight ne way.

I will translate this as a public service:

My family and I were visiting Philadelphia last September and had to get a hotel room in New Jersy. We got lost on our way to the hotel, which happened to be in Camden. We were only lost for a few minutes before we found a police officer who helped us find our way out of the city. Camden didn't seem to be too bad--in the daylight, anyway. Not too sure I would have wanted to have been lost there in the dark.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Camden''s Legacy America's first mass murderer
Howard Unruh, 88, Dies; Killed 13 of His Neighbors in Camden in 1949

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
Published: October 19, 2009
Howard Unruh, who carried out one of America’s most infamous mass shootings, killing 13 people, three of them children, in a 20-minute, seemingly emotionless stroll through his neighborhood in Camden, N.J., in September 1949, died Monday at a nursing home in Trenton after 60 years’ confinement. He was 88.