Last Preloader to leave.

So I'm a new part time preloader. I do a great job and my drivers say the same. I take pride in knowing I work at UPS.

In the past few days, my new P/T supervisor had me stay a good 20 minutes after everyone else on my belt left the building. There were still packages behind every truck of those he released early.

Today, my P/T supervisor told me to work my way down the line and load the remaining packages in others' cars. Nobody else was on the line. I know I'm new, but so are two others on my belt who have less seniority than I. They too, left early with the others (as packages remained behind their trucks).

Should I work at an efficient, yet reasonable pace? Should I ensure all packages I load into my own trucks are done so safely, efficiently, and properly marked as taught? Am I without merit?

Last edited:

SmithBarney

It doesn't make any sense, but it makes cents!
I know when I was a Preloader I wanted ever minute I could get since the pay was already minimal.

Now as for your co-workers they may see a problem with you being offered extra work, unless they don't care.

SmithBarney

To answer your question, work at a safe pace. As directed, of course you probably want to take care of your drivers.. if the sup says just bulk load the rest of the trucks.. then work as directed.

To answer your question, work at a safe pace. As directed, of course you probably want to take care of your drivers.. if the sup says just bulk load the rest of the trucks.. then work as directed.

Will do. And yes, I definitely want to take care of my drivers. It's important for me to make their lives easier on the road.

fres431

Sounds to me that management is trying to run less man hours so they look good. You being the lowest seniority on your belt and staying the latest does happen.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

In my building the sups would have sent everyone home and then walked up and down the belts throwing boxes into the nearest package car. Then charged the misloads to the preloaders.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

All about the numbers. You get paid less. Less you can affect their numbers. We have a guy that helps us out on my shift from preload whose been there 30+ years. My sup tries to get him out the door as soon as humanly possibly otherwise his pay destroys their numbers.

All about the almighty report.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's called sweeping the line (or belt). It works the same way at the beginning of the sort....2 of us with seniority start 15 min earlier than everyone else....we load every truck on the line until everyone else comes in.

9.5er

Somebody has to be the last one to leave. May as well be you. Just think of it as more money in your pocket.

Keep up the good work. Wish more preloaders in my center took pride in their work.

S

selfcancelsignal

In my building the sups would have sent everyone home and then walked up and down the belts throwing boxes into the nearest package car. Then charged the misloads to the preloaders.
A classic move.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

oldngray

nowhere special
All about the numbers. You get paid less. Less you can affect their numbers. We have a guy that helps us out on my shift from preload whose been there 30+ years. My sup tries to get him out the door as soon as humanly possibly otherwise his pay destroys their numbers.

All about the almighty report.

Sent using BrownCafe App

A 30 year preloader would be red circled and make the same hourly rate as drivers.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So I'm a new part time preloader. I do a great job and my drivers say the same. I take pride in knowing I work at UPS.

In the past few days, my new P/T supervisor had me stay a good 20 minutes after everyone else on my belt left the building. There were still packages behind every truck of those he released early.

Today, my P/T supervisor told me to work my way down the line and load the remaining packages in others' cars. Nobody else was on the line. I know I'm new, but so are two others on my belt who have less seniority than I. They too, left early with the others (as packages remained behind their trucks).

Should I work at an efficient, yet reasonable pace? Should I ensure all packages I load into my own trucks are done so safely, efficiently, and properly marked as taught? Am I without merit?
That is what happens when you work hard at UPS. You don't get praise, or prizes you get more work. And when you can't handle the work load they will get mad at you and ask why you can't handle it. So knock it off and work at your own pace, UPS doesn't need a superman.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
First place I look for missing air or packages is the rear of the car.

If I find one I out load quality unacceptable and in the comments write "please tell sups to quit throwing packages in the back of the truck at the end of the day"