The Latest "Change/Take Away"

fedex_rtd

I heard this info today from my hubby who is an RTD. We haven't heard anything about it at our station. They were told if you go out on FMLA, your vacation gets used 1st. I am curious about how it works if you're hurt on the job. I'll have to see if he can get some clarification.

We have three guys at our station that are on FMLA each and every year. It is expected that they will have some sort of medical issue unrelated to work, that will require them to go out for 89 days.

vantexan

I wondered when Freight guy told coworker something similar if Express was looking at this too. At Freight they're losing two personal days(or possibly floating holidays) and they'll no longer have sick days. If you call in sick they'll deduct from your vacation time. I just got my personal and floaters scheduled so doesn't look like they're touching those this coming year but what this all says to me is FedEx is still actively looking at takeaways from employees to increase profit so don't be too surprised when it happens. It might be years down the road but if you look at what costs them the most I'm betting the Portable Pension Plan will eventually be gone. Would still have the 401k, like many companies only have.

Artee

I heard this info today from my hubby who is an RTD. We haven't heard anything about it at our station. They were told if you go out on FMLA, your vacation gets used 1st. I am curious about how it works if you're hurt on the job. I'll have to see if he can get some clarification.

That is correct, that this is for FMLA. They will use all your vacation except for 5 days. They are pretending they are doing you a favor, so you can still get paid on FMLA. The issue is some states like CA will pay you if you are on FMLA. So there were problems with employees taking every Friday or Monday as an FMLA day and then still getting their 5 weeks of vacation on top of that. Though from what is sounds like if you are in a state like CA, where you will get paid for FMLA, FDX still cannot touch your vacation days, so it might not change a thing in those states.

If you are hurt on the job you would not be using FMLA. You would be using short term disability. They will use your 5 sick days first then then the STD would kick in. FMLA is for taking care of your children or other family members with longer term health or family issues, not for your own injuries.

CJinx

No kidding. Ol' Sammy and CJinx think we should be able to unionize overnight. Indeed this is a plan from **** you over Fred to weed out senior employees and should be illegal. Best thing to do is keep a lawyer on retainer.

Piss poor excuse for a so-called people company.
Until your generation of courier is dead and buried, Express is in no danger of unionizing.

whenIgetthere

Which probably means if you're displaced and there aren't any open routes you'll have to either transfer or leave the company.

It was explained to me that after 45 days, you could accept a position anywhere in the company, if not, you are considered VOLUNTARILY resigned! Unbelievable. It just took someone here two months to see a doctor thru workman's comp for an on the job injury. If you get hurt, see a lawyer first!

CJinx

And you set a sorry example for your generation. A Kool-Aid drinker employed by Ground.
We're all chasing the almighty dollar. The difference is that I'm in a higher pay grade working less hours and going to school part time. What are you doing to better your station?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We're all chasing the almighty dollar. The difference is that I'm in a higher pay grade working less hours and going to school part time. What are you doing to better your station?
My station?? Who cares about the station? My days of giving any helpful suggestions are long over with. Let the managers worry about it.

Serf

A cash balance plan is a defined benefit retirement plan that maintains employee accounts like a defined contribution plan. The hypothetical nature of the individual accounts was crucial in the early adoption of such plans because it enabled conversion of traditional plans without declaring a plan termination. :ignored: Years ago when the majority said; "nah, I am good, I'll stick with the traditional pension." FedEx bluff was called and then they just said screw you, were taking it away anyway and replacing it with something more "flexible!" So 5-6% of your gross salary contributed to a separate account that grows at the Treasury rate of about 1% annually. Assuming Express even decides to keep this model down the road. One Accrues a lump sum payout of well under what a trad pension could be. I am fairly convinced if you are a 20 year + guy/girl hourly at top pay and vested, they hate you and you are marked. You cost too much and are not in line with the future labor model of the company.