The Latest "Change/Take Away"

TUT

FedEx has a very specific culture that differs from mainstream corporate America. Therein lies the big difference.

No they don't, it is par for course. I agree with you in that it sucks, but it sucks in many many places. Being at Fedex you have seen many companies/industries go under, I doubt you shed many tears for them, felt bad for them sure, but you turn, head towards the door and carry on. Dog eat dog.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No they don't, it is par for course. I agree with you in that it sucks, but it sucks in many many places. Being at Fedex you have seen many companies/industries go under, I doubt you shed many tears for them, felt bad for them sure, but you turn, head towards the door and carry on. Dog eat dog.

Takeaways might be par for the course, but FedEx has a very unique culture. Think WalMart on wheels. One big, happy family, with the anti-union spectre always hanging over your head. Oh, yeah, and all of the "rah-rah" is different here too.

You actually need to work here to understand how strange and dysfunctional the FedEx culture is. I believe it to be unique in it's crappiness, and, yes, I've worked at enough other places to see the difference.

Good try.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sure. When the underlying system is a joke? I don't blame people who do what they need to spend time with their families or take care of loved ones. Since neither you nor Fred have a soul, or heart, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Just another way to pad profits and screw the hourlies. I wonder which upper management suck-up will get a huge bonus for this new policy? Uncle Mattie needs a new plane, just like his alter ego, Creflo Dollar.

You truly suck, Dano. Anyone who would lower themselves to be Smith's tool deserves what they get. I hope you get crucified someday by the same policies you currently support.

Translation: It's OK as long as I get mine.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And who gets 5 weeks of vacation? Showed your hand again with your company campaign against topped out employees. Why, the company could be so much more profitable if we could just get rid of the folks who's pay reminds us of the time when the company gave a damn.

Actually, you showed your hand. But it can be 5 weeks, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 weeks.

bbsam

Staff member
Takeaways might be par for the course, but FedEx has a very unique culture. Think WalMart on wheels. One big, happy family, with the anti-union spectre always hanging over your head. Oh, yeah, and all of the "rah-rah" is different here too.

You actually need to work here to understand how strange and dysfunctional the FedEx culture is. I believe it to be unique in it's crappiness, and, yes, I've worked at enough other places to see the difference.

Good try.
Express rah-rah cannot begin to compare with Walmart's.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Translation: It's OK as long as I get mine.

No. TUT doesn't understand FedEx and all of the bullshat hype and feel-good garbage at Express. They screw you as often as possible while simultaneously reminding you of how "good" you have it. Me? I just took a steaming Smith whose peak broke the water line in the bowl. I wiped my PSP with my Matt Thornton TP.

You are what I just sent into the Mississippi.

TUT

No. TUT doesn't understand FedEx and all of the bullshat hype and feel-good garbage at Express. They screw you as often as possible while simultaneously reminding you of how "good" you have it.

I understand that easily and simply add it is like that nearly everywhere without union representation and sometimes like that even if you have a union. I want to let you know that tons of people are in your situation well outside of Fedex's walls. You think you are special having it bad, but you fail to want to hear others with issues, just want people to concern themselves with yours, which is typical.

TUT

I thought you are one of the long time Fedex drivers? When you say you worked other places, yeah go back far enough and the culture was different at most places to. But most have been sliding, it isn't surprising when you break down the reasons why. Everyone is hired to squeeze the turnip tighter and tighter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I thought you are one of the long time Fedex drivers? When you say you worked other places, yeah go back far enough and the culture was different at most places to. But most have been sliding, it isn't surprising when you break down the reasons why. Everyone is hired to squeeze the turnip tighter and tighter.

I can't argue with you any longer. You obviously know better than I do what FedEx is like.

vantexan

One thing we do know that you may not...we go into hundreds if not thousands of businesses over the course of our "careers." We see for ourselves the differences between our company and others. Very few companies push their employees to perform at a "hustle" rate continuously. Yes we have our milkers but most couriers are in constant motion throughout their day. It's why many older couriers take open routes that are more about driving than stops. Most companies have set hours too and don't expect their employees to give up family time during the holidays for the good of the company. Couple all that with the lies and takeaways and you can see why many are bitter. Companies sure have gone this direction to varying degrees, but that primarily means the relative few are benefiting greatly while the rest are seeing their future dimming. With so many out of work and on public assistance do you think it's wise to hammer those who are doing the work that's paying for everything?

TUT

I can't argue with you any longer. You obviously know better than I do what FedEx is like.

I must know better how companies not named Fedex are like. So why not just answer a simple question, how long ago did you work for another company of size? Since you mentioned, it makes a difference. 20 years ago? Things have changed in the past 10.

TUT

One thing we do know that you may not...we go into hundreds if not thousands of businesses over the course of our "careers." We see for ourselves the differences between our company and others. Very few companies push their employees to perform at a "hustle" rate continuously.

Fair, but not the point. My response isn't about what you do, it is how companies have been treating their employees no matter what the employee does.

vantexan

Fair, but not the point. My response isn't about what you do, it is how companies have been treating their employees no matter what the employee does.
Maybe I'm wrong but you seem to be saying that things are the same just about everywhere, that FedEx isn't an exception. There was an UPS commercial years ago where a customer remarked that UPS drivers were unique individuals, doing what they do every day. Same story over at FedEx. Doesn't mean others don't work hard or get shafted by their company. Just means we get it in bigger doses than most.

TUT

Maybe I'm wrong but you seem to be saying that things are the same just about everywhere, that FedEx isn't an exception. There was an UPS commercial years ago where a customer remarked that UPS drivers were unique individuals, doing what they do every day. Same story over at FedEx. Doesn't mean others don't work hard or get shafted by their company. Just means we get it in bigger doses than most.

There will be contrasts between Fedex and UPS with my general statements, union vs non. But yes I am saying that Fedex is a follower in company policies. What you are seeing is happening to many companies, has really nothing to do with the product or their profits. Like Health Plans, what happened to you was happening all over the country. As we know many CEO's sit on various boards which means standard practices being pushed out to many places. Right you will work harder vs a cubical worker, but what I'm saying is takeaways are roughly the same everywhere. The various jobs still have there differences. You can go to an IBM forum and the same complaints in general to what you read by some here about Fedex, in fact there are a lot more who whine about their jobs at IBM.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Soooo, have any of your stations been told that OT is being cut back and no one is to go over 11 hours a day, even those doing splits? Also, uniform ordering is only for new hires and food and meetings will be limited. The best one though is that "select routes" will be given a list of gas stations with the cheapest gas. That's the latest word at my station, all so Fred can keep his word to the shareholders. Lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot, new hires at my station think they're working at a demolition derby, so everyone must practice 5 keys of defensive driving to avoid another fiscal year of 50% of our trucks spending time in the body shop.

Dex01

Banned
Soooo, have any of your stations been told that OT is being cut back and no one is to go over 11 hours a day, even those doing splits? Also, uniform ordering is only for new hires and food and meetings will be limited. The best one though is that "select routes" will be given a list of gas stations with the cheapest gas. That's the latest word at my station, all so Fred can keep his word to the shareholders. Lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot, new hires at my station think they're working at a demolition derby, so everyone must practice 5 keys of defensive driving to avoid another fiscal year of 50% of our trucks spending time in the body shop.

With the expection of using assigned gas stations, all the other measures on your list have been instituted periodically during the last 10+ years, and none of which are particularly news worthy.