The Lunch BS

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
You have shop stewards doing management work?? Don't get me wrong, I agree with what they are doing, I just don't agree that they should be doing it.

I suspect they are checking so they can file a grievance for work done during unpaid hours, not to do management's job for them.

Griff

UPS due to lawsuit tells its sups. they have to force the drivers to take a full hour.

Now if you dont take the full hour but record the hour in the DIAD no sup is going to go looking to deep. Why would they.

But by saying you have to take the lunch they cover themselves agaisnt more lawsuits, its really that simple.

Boy, oh boy are you wrong. All laws regarding compensation and time worked, regardless of state, is slanted and worded heavily in favor of the employee and not the employer. Just because UPS intimidates workers into entering a 1 hour lunch into the DIAD and still continuing to deliver through that hour does NOT shelter them from legal problems. Most people think UPS has only lost one lawsuit (California) in regards to this issue. The truth is UPS has lost 3 enormous lawsuits over the lunch issue dating back to 1990 that I know of, there is probably more that we don't know of. The company lost a lawsuit in Washington state (1990) for $12 million and Illinois (1998) for $7.25 million.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Boy, oh boy are you wrong. All laws regarding compensation and time worked, regardless of state, is slanted and worded heavily in favor of the employee and not the employer. Just because UPS intimidates workers into entering a 1 hour lunch into the DIAD and still continuing to deliver through that hour does NOT shelter them from legal problems. Most people think UPS has only lost one lawsuit (California) in regards to this issue. The truth is UPS has lost 3 enormous lawsuits over the lunch issue dating back to 1990 that I know of, there is probably more that we don't know of. The company lost a lawsuit in Washington state (1990) for $12 million and Illinois (1998) for $7.25 million.
Welcome back :)

code5

Obviously this is wrong, but quit frankly I don't care anymore. Many of our centers drivers take turns punching out a co-workers diad for them after they left. Could we get fired for it - yes, do I care anymore -no.

We should be dispatched so that we can take a break at a reasonable time of the day and be off without no more than a half hour of OT a day. Overtime was designed to be optional in the real world and UPS should suck it up. Manage the company better instead of making the fast buck. You never know, in the long run with more employee support UPS may make more.

I used to be a manager in fast food and I could modivate minimum wage employees better than our managers can modivate us well paid employees. Our union contract says overtime is inevitable - I say BULL. Do you think I could stop customers from coming into our store in fastfood, no. But we still let our staff leave when there scheduled shift was over, we simply needed to do our jobs better as management instead of employees always being the solution.

iowa boy

Good to see you back Griff.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
We have shop stewards who check delivery records of drivers who get in early to see if they have lunch recorded while they were delivering. So we can't just lets say put 12 to 1 and just come in when we're done. I think one got a warning letter for not recording a full hour lunch to get to a kids function.We do have to take and record a full hour even on 8 hour requests.
oh this is a gem,, you have stewards checking records in a attempt to get drivers warning letters?? go teamsters!!! does the same steward defend them from the warning letter??? im confused here

Johney

The Stewards are checking the records etc. etc. so they can file grievances against whom, exactly?
They are checking only to find out why they(stewerd) got a warning letter for skipping lunch but someone else didn't.Then filing for whatever I never got into it that far....Does everyone understand now?

Johney

oh this is a gem,, you have stewards checking records in a attempt to get drivers warning letters?? go teamsters!!! does the same steward defend them from the warning letter??? im confused here
Steward gets warning letter for not recording all his lunch or taking it. So he checks drivers who get in early to see if they did the same thing but did not receive discipline. Got it? Yes these same stewards represent us all well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The steward/union does not file a grievance against another employee. The grievance is filed on BEHALF of the alledged grieved employee.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

So when our steward said he filed a grievance against an hourly for working off of the clock, he was lying or mistaken?

some1else

They do the same here both lunch skippers and those that come in early to sort off the clock. The grievance is not against the other employee. They find a higher senority employee to file on the company for letting a lower senority employee work before them.

You cant file a grivance against a fellow bargaining unit employee only against the company. I.e "brownnoser" gets a request off even though a higher senority employee was denied Grievance is against managment for failing to follow request off senority rules not against "brownnoser"

over9five

Staff member
They do the same here both lunch skippers and those that come in early to sort off the clock. The grievance is not against the other employee. They find a higher senority employee to file on the company for letting a lower senority employee work before them.

Bingo

kurtkampy

Hi In Wisconsin we get a unpaid half hour lunch and if we don't put a lunch in our board we will get paid for that half hour but we will be talk to the next day. I forgot to record it twice in 3 months and I needed a steward to help me getting walked out and fired. They have fired others for not putting a lunch in your board. They don't care if you work through your lunch as long as it's recored in your diad. I sure that may change in the future too.

charlznewt

I'm a satellite driver in Ky. I live in city that my pkg car is stationed. I do a 10 and 10 everyday. Ten min paid and ten on my time. Looks like this: Lunch 1500-1510 Pd Brk 1510-1520. Somedays I my take 10 -20 more on my Lunch but like you I need to get off asap. There was a period when they tried to force everyone to take full hr. but it didn't last long. Check w/steward and look at contract. I never did much of either. Never filed a grievance as a driver, 28 yrs. Filed 8 as a pt timer and won 7. but I keep my nose clean do my work and really give my customers good service. 3 routes in all those yrs, did a training route for 2 yrs in '83 '84.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Steward gets warning letter for not recording all his lunch or taking it. So he checks drivers who get in early to see if they did the same thing but did not receive discipline. Got it? Yes these same stewards represent us all well.
ah,, so the steward did not put a full hr lunch in,, so he gets in trouble,,so his best answer is to find a way to get other drivers warning letters and maybe fired,, now it makes total sense..........HUH

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
ah,, so the steward did not put a full hr lunch in,, so he gets in trouble,,so his best answer is to find a way to get other drivers warning letters and maybe fired,, now it makes total sense..........HUH
Nice spin, HF. Here's the right wording for ya.

You cant file a grivance against a fellow bargaining unit employee only against the company. I.e "brownnoser" gets a request off even though a higher senority employee was denied Grievance is against managment for failing to follow request off senority rules not against "brownnoser"