The Lunch BS

Johney

ah,, so the steward did not put a full hr lunch in,, so he gets in trouble,,so his best answer is to find a way to get other drivers warning letters and maybe fired,, now it makes total sense..........HUH
Whatever you think, I'm tired of explaining it to you, everyone else seems to know what I am trying to say.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Whatever you think, I'm tired of explaining it to you, everyone else seems to know what I am trying to say.
i understand you but unless you are the shop steward,, you cannot answer my question,, which is what is the stewards ultimate goal in getting another hourly a warning letter...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i understand you but unless you are the shop steward,, you cannot answer my question,, which is what is the stewards ultimate goal in getting another hourly a warning letter...

The stewards goal is not to get the hourly a warning letter, it is to make sure that the contract language is being followed.

raceanoncr

I don't understand what you're saying here.

So when our steward said he filed a grievance against an hourly for working off of the clock, he was lying or mistaken?

If he said he was filing AGAINST an hourly for working off the clock, then he is mistaken. He SHOULD have said he is filing for fair/equitable treatment, for management not following the contract in letting/ignoring/encouraging/threatening employees, and all others that apply.

You cant file a grivance against a fellow bargaining unit employee only against the company.

Correct. When the company tells you to "Work as directed" and it violates contract or similar situations, then you file on the company's disregard or violation, not the employee that was directed or encouraged or "let" do so.

ah,, so the steward did not put a full hr lunch in,, so he gets in trouble,,so his best answer is to find a way to get other drivers warning letters and maybe fired,, now it makes total sense..........HUH

Where did it say here that steward was trying to find a way to get other drivers warning letters? or maybe fired?

Again, was it said on here that the stewards ultimate goal was to get another hourly a warning letter?

The stewards goal is not to get the hourly a warning letter, it is to make sure that the contract language is being followed.

Again, BINGO!!! If he/she is NOT making sure the contract is lanquage is being followed, if he/she is on a personal vendetta, then they have no business being a stweard.

soberups

There are two seperate issues here.

Issue (A) is whether or not the employee took his lunch break.

Issue (B) is whether or not the employee was fully compensated for all hours spent in the service of the company.

The company loves to try and twist these issues together, with the ultimate goal of getting as many drivers as possible to falsify their timecards and record a lunch break that they spent delivering packages.

The fact that the employee may have violated the contract by skipping his lunch does not entitle the company to violate the contract by refusing to pay him for the time.

hellfire

Where did it say here that steward was trying to find a way to get other drivers warning letters? or maybe fired?

Again, was it said on here that the stewards ultimate goal was to get another hourly a warning letter?

i may be wrong but thats what i got out of post 9

raceanoncr

i may be wrong but thats what i got out of post 9

Quote number 9

We have shop stewards who check delivery records of drivers who get in early to see if they have lunch recorded while they were delivering. So we can't just lets say put 12 to 1 and just come in when we're done. I think one got a warning letter for not recording a full hour lunch to get to a kids function.We do have to take and record a full hour even on 8 hour requests.

I don't get this out of quote #9. I get that shop stewards are checking delivery records of drivers to see if they have lunch recorded while they were driving. If it were me, as a former steward, I, too, would be checking delivery records of drivers if one of us received a warning letter, then talking to said drivers and tell them to KNOCK IT OFF! Then file a grievance against THE COMPANY for not following the contract. How? For breaking the contract where it says in your Master, Rider, Supplement, Past Practices, etc. that ALL employees must take lunch between Xo'clock and Y o'clock.

You, I repeat, DO NOT file a grievance against another union or hourly person. You file against the action by the company that forced the employee into that situation that was a contract violation.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Quote number 9

I don't get this out of quote #9. I get that shop stewards are checking delivery records of drivers to see if they have lunch recorded while they were driving. If it were me, as a former steward, I, too, would be checking delivery records of drivers if one of us received a warning letter, then talking to said drivers and tell them to KNOCK IT OFF! Then file a grievance against THE COMPANY for not following the contract. How? For breaking the contract where it says in your Master, Rider, Supplement, Past Practices, etc. that ALL employees must take lunch between Xo'clock and Y o'clock.

You, I repeat, DO NOT file a grievance against another union or hourly person. You file against the action by the company that forced the employee into that situation that was a contract violation.
These pearls are falling on deaf ears, race. Hellfire has been skipping his lunch to get home in time for his X-Box championships for over 20 years, so nothing will make him stop.

hellfire

These pearls are falling on deaf ears, race. Hellfire has been skipping his lunch to get home in time for his X-Box championships for over 20 years, so nothing will make him stop.
thats right,, rock band supa star,, actually, i take about a half hour, thats all it takes me to eat and call the misses on the phone. i do miss the days when we would get paid for any lunch time not taken

raceanoncr

(Sigh!!) I think you're right, steve. No matter what I or others say or do on the issue, we're still gonna have ones that try to justify the wrong that they are doing and pass the blame or fault onto others.

Carryon, all!!

Overpaid Union Thug

Another lunch thread? Sorry I missed it. All I can say is that its pathetic that there is even a debate about this at all. If your contract says you have to take a lunch....then you HAVE TO TAKE YOUR LUNCH! If your supplement says otherwise you should at least follow your state's law (if there is one) and take the required time. What's so hard to understand about that? Its funny though because the same people that come on here and constantly try and justify why they think they are so special that they don't have to follow the contract are the same ones that expect management to follow it to the letter.

pretzel_man

UPS's entire business plan is designed around screwing as many drivers as possible out of their lunch and breaks. It has been this way for decades.

But simply working through your lunch isnt good enough; they also want you to record a full hour so that they can screw you out of an hour's pay.

You need to check your local contract language to see what your rights are. Here we can choose for ourselves whether we want to take an hour lunch or a half hour, and the company cannot arbitrarily deny us the right to take a half hour.

Regardless of what your local language says, you are entitled to be paid for all hours that you actually worked.

Must not be the entire plan....

According to the OP, one center in the US says : "we have to take and record our full hour lunch."

I guess that one center didn't get the memo about screwing all the drivers.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We have shop stewards who check delivery records of drivers who get in early to see if they have lunch recorded while they were delivering.

The question should be: Who is giving the steward the delivery records/time cards? OMS.. if it is she/he better stop. Manager or Supervisor why would they....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have shop stewards who check delivery records of drivers who get in early to see if they have lunch recorded while they were delivering.

The question should be: Who is giving the steward the delivery records/time cards? OMS.. if it is she/he better stop. Manager or Supervisor why would they....
It's called examination of records, or investigating, SOCKS.

hellfire

(Sigh!!) I think you're right, steve. No matter what I or others say or do on the issue, we're still gonna have ones that try to justify the wrong that they are doing and pass the blame or fault onto others.

Carryon, all!!
keep sigh-ing man,, and when you do thank those of us that find this job TOO EASY and inflate the numbers,, im sorry, this job is donkey work,,, c,mon,, 30 bucks a hour to bring a box to the door,,,.....................................................

JustTired

free at last.......
Those of you who skip their lunch and/or breaks just don't get it.
I'm guessing that if lunch and breaks were negotiated out of the contract....those same people would be the first to complain.
Years ago, unions were formed to protect workers rights. Many a worker gave his life fighting for those rights. And now it seems some just want to hand them back to the company on a silver platter.
I'm not the strongest union supporter in the country...but right is right...union or not.
Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it........and we (as a country) seem to be moving backwards. Why contribute to that movement?

If you don't know by now why you should take lunches/ breaks..........I give up!!

raceanoncr

Union representative, steward for example, has the right to examine records or any information that is pertinent to an investigation involving discipline.

raceanoncr

thats right,, rock band supa star,, actually, i take about a half hour, thats all it takes me to eat and call the misses on the phone. i do miss the days when we would get paid for any lunch time not taken

keep sigh-ing man,, and when you do thank those of us that find this job TOO EASY and inflate the numbers,, im sorry, this job is donkey work,,, c,mon,, 30 bucks a hour to bring a box to the door,,,.....................................................

"...thank those of us that find this job TOO EASY and inflate the numbers"? What? Who said this job was TOO EASY? Who said ANY job at UPS was too easy? Each and every job at UPS, from CEO to a newbie P/Ter is very hard and stressful.

"...30 bucks a hour to bring a box to the door,,,................"? Not you! By your own admission, you're only taking 30 min lunch each day. Let's see, if your rider or supplement calls for 1 hour, that amounts to 30 min of free time each day. Times 5, that's an hour and a half per week, times 48 weeks (or however many weeks vacation you have), well, you can do the math. YOU, my friend, aren't making 30 bucks an hour!

soberups

Must not be the entire plan....

According to the OP, one center in the US says : "we have to take and record our full hour lunch."

I guess that one center didn't get the memo about screwing all the drivers.

Actions speak louder than words.

We get that same line of B.S. from our management team also. They tell us to "take and record your lunch" and then intentionally dispatch the routes with a workload...justified by a rigged time allowance....that makes taking that lunch impossible.

What really gets to me is when they say "the contract requires you to take a lunch" when they have made a business decision to refuse to honor Art. 37 of that same contract. My center no longer honors 8 hr requests and makes no attempt whatsoever to reduce excessive overtime. 11, 12 and even 13 hour days are the norm, with numerous drivers running out of DOT hours every week.

But when a guy with a 13 hr day and a family to get home to skips his lunch and puts no lunch in the board, they are all over his ass for "violating the contract".

The company could care less whether or not a driver gets to take a lunch break, as long as one is recorded in the DIAD so that they can screw him out of an hour's pay. It is a calculated part of the business plan.

hellfire

"
"...30 bucks a hour to bring a box to the door,,,................"? Not you! By your own admission, you're only taking 30 min lunch each day. Let's see, if your rider or supplement calls for 1 hour, that amounts to 30 min of free time each day. Times 5, that's an hour and a half per week, times 48 weeks (or however many weeks vacation you have), well, you can do the math. YOU, my friend, aren't making 30 bucks an hour!
lets see,, i have a 9am start time,, im done and punched out by 430pm 95 percent of the time,,my normal dispatch is a 9hr planned,,,we are a bonus center so im home getting paid 30 bucks a hr,, or ,,even better,, im on the clock for seven and a half hrs,, paid for 9,, so i make MORE than 30 a hr.......