The Lunch BS

some1else

Sobeups ups how do they make taking a lunch impossible in your center? Just stop betweeen 4-6hours ajd eat or stare at the clouds for an hour. Then if there will be missed buisness or pickups send the message. Thats the dispatch/managments problem not ours

raceanoncr

thats right,, rock band supa star,, actually, i take about a half hour, thats all it takes me to eat and call the misses on the phone. i do miss the days when we would get paid for any lunch time not taken

lets see,, i have a 9am start time,, im done and punched out by 430pm 95 percent of the time,,my normal dispatch is a 9hr planned,,,we are a bonus center so im home getting paid 30 bucks a hr,, or ,,even better,, im on the clock for seven and a half hrs,, paid for 9,, so i make MORE than 30 a hr.......

Boy, does THIS make sense!!!!!!!

pretzel_man

Actions speak louder than words.

We get that same line of B.S. from our management team also. They tell us to "take and record your lunch" and then intentionally dispatch the routes with a workload...justified by a rigged time allowance....that makes taking that lunch impossible.

What really gets to me is when they say "the contract requires you to take a lunch" when they have made a business decision to refuse to honor Art. 37 of that same contract. My center no longer honors 8 hr requests and makes no attempt whatsoever to reduce excessive overtime. 11, 12 and even 13 hour days are the norm, with numerous drivers running out of DOT hours every week.

But when a guy with a 13 hr day and a family to get home to skips his lunch and puts no lunch in the board, they are all over his ass for "violating the contract".

The company could care less whether or not a driver gets to take a lunch break, as long as one is recorded in the DIAD so that they can screw him out of an hour's pay. It is a calculated part of the business plan.

I'm not the original poster who said his center is requiring him to record AND take his lunch. His words, not mine.

You say that its UPS's entire business plan to have drivers skip lunch. At least one center is not following that plan.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Boy, does THIS make sense!!!!!!!
heres what makes sense,, if you wanna take lunch for a full hour,, do it,, in my case,,after 27 yrs,, i can and allways have, finish routes no matter the planned day,, early..like i said before,, if i have a 9 hr planned and i do it in 7 who cares about that hr lunch,,, i dont care ups can have it,, im getting paid to sit at home and chug beer...and the whole 'im screwin my fellow union members' arguement means nothing to me,,, central states has bankrupted my pension,, im disgusted with the teamsters,,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

heres what makes sense,, if you wanna take lunch for a full hour,, do it,, in my case,,after 27 yrs,, i can and allways have, finish routes no matter the planned day,, early..like i said before,, if i have a 9 hr planned and i do it in 7 who cares about that hr lunch,,, i dont care ups can have it,, im getting paid to sit at home and chug beer...and the whole 'im screwin my fellow union members' arguement means nothing to me,,, central states has bankrupted my pension,, im disgusted with the teamsters,,

OK, then what about the cover drivers who run your area--are they expected to follow your lead?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
keep sigh-ing man,, and when you do thank those of us that find this job TOO EASY and inflate the numbers,, im sorry, this job is donkey work,,, c,mon,, 30 bucks a hour to bring a box to the door,,,.....................................................
So you're calling yourself an Ass?
donkey_500h.jpg

And it shows!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sobeups ups how do they make taking a lunch impossible in your center? Just stop betweeen 4-6hours ajd eat or stare at the clouds for an hour. Then if there will be missed buisness or pickups send the message. Thats the dispatch/managments problem not ours

It is typically the newer drivers who are unwilling to draw such boundaries. They feel duty-bound to make service on those packages, even if it means skipping lunch. The company counts on this mentality when deciding how many stops per car to dispatch.

There are also the guys with families who skip lunch because they just want to get home before their kids are in bed. A grievance check cannot buy back the time you have lost with your family. Again, the company counts on this mentality.

It bugs the hell out of me to bring service failures back to the building at night, but it bugs me even more to knuckle under and skip my lunch and work for free.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm not the original poster who said his center is requiring him to record AND take his lunch. His words, not mine.

You say that its UPS's entire business plan to have drivers skip lunch. At least one center is not following that plan.

UPS says one thing and does another, on the regular, as part of the business plan.

"record and take your lunch" means nothing, it's simply lip service.

JustTired

free at last.......
+1 If they were serious about the issue they would use progressive discipline for this.

That's a good point!
For those centers with telematics.... it should be a no-brainer. They should be able to tell when the vehicle is stationary for the allotted lunch time.
As long as all drivers are disciplined equally, it shouldn't be a contract violation.

Something tells me though, that "record and take your lunch" is nothing more than a CYA move by the company to attempt to avert any future legal ramifications. Whether that would hold up in court when there appears to be no attempt to enforce it on a company wide basis would be my question.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It wouldn't be that hard for those centers that do not yet have Telematics nor would it be that hard to figure out which delivery records to audit. The plain truth is that the runner/gunners make the center look good. Of course, if something were to happen while the driver was delivering "on lunch", the center would not hesitate to throw them under the bus.

raceanoncr

(Sigh!!) I think you're right, steve. No matter what I or others say or do on the issue, we're still gonna have ones that try to justify the wrong that they are doing and pass the blame or fault onto others.

Carryon, all!!

thats right,, rock band supa star,, actually, i take about a half hour, thats all it takes me to eat and call the misses on the phone. i do miss the days when we would get paid for any lunch time not taken

Here's what makes sense...You're a classic example of what I was referring to in the first quote. You are justifying the wrong and passing blame or fault onto others or other organizations.

You also say in the second quote here, that you long for the days when you would get paid for lunch you skipped, but in other posts, you claim you're on bonus route and you get paid anyway! Conflict? You tell me. Uh, on second thot, DON'T. Your rhetoric sounds exactly like what we're hearing from higher-ups and I've had enough.

We (UPS) need more people like you. Politicians.

Carryon.

tracker2762

I too finish my route early ( if you call getting done between 18:30 and 19:00 early) and get paid to chug ice tea except I take a full hour lunch everyday. I know if I didn't take that hour that I would have an extra hours work on me. As it is now, work is taken off me given to someone else, usually a junk trip they throw together or to an air driver that helps over dispatched drivers. The problem I have is, don't give me 11 hrs work and expect me to make the 9.5 cut off. Not gonna happen. With this new push to have everyone off the clock by 9.5 (wishful thinking) lately the work comes off automatically.
It always kills me when a drivers complains that they had so much work that they couldn't stop for 5 minutes. Are you kidding me, Your are given an hour lunch, take it, let them worry about over dispatching someone. Give it to drivers like hellfire who get done in 7hrs. or add a route. It's my experience that the drivers that get done early are the first to complain when they have too much work or try to give their airs to someone else. Thanks I feel better.

PS What does the central states have to do with the lunch BS?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
+1 If they were serious about the issue they would use progressive discipline for this.
If they were serious about the issue, it would be reflected in the dispatch. There would be no need for discipline in the first place if the drivers were given a realistic amount of work to do.

If they were serious about the issue, it would be reflected in the dispatch. There would be no need for discipline in the first place if the drivers were given a realistic amount of work to do.

I disagree with you there Sober. Whatever dispatch is given the same people will skip there lunch because they can't help themselves. Ups has beat this mentality into there brains and it's just how they are wired now. Progressive discipline is the only way and it has to be done evenly.

BrownArmy

Something tells me though, that "record and take your lunch" is nothing more than a CYA move by the company to attempt to avert any future legal ramifications.

Bingo.

The plain truth is that the runner/gunners make the center look good. Of course, if something were to happen while the driver was delivering "on lunch", the center would not hesitate to throw them under the bus.

Double Bingo.

rama'nfeeders

I know you want to be with the kids for all there functions, but I learned back in 1995 from senior drivers that you make plans only on weekends when you are off-period! Also, if you put in a lunch and you truly did not take it and are delivering this duration and you get hurt. Are you getting workers comp.(while on lunch) or disability since you were on lunch. Secondly, you are putting false info into the DIAD, hence, you lied therefore proven DISHONESTLY! Sorry, but take your lunch as we do between our 3rd and 5th hour. Do the right thing and stop worrying about Charlie, Stan, or Mary and only worry about yourself! Good Luck!

I know you want to be with the kids for all there functions, but I learned back in 1995 from senior drivers that you make plans only on weekends when you are off-period! Also, if you put in a lunch and you truly did not take it and are delivering this duration and you get hurt. Are you getting workers comp.(while on lunch) or disability since you were on lunch. Secondly, you are putting false info into the DIAD, hence, you lied therefore proven DISHONESTLY! Sorry, but take your lunch as we do between our 3rd and 5th hour. Do the right thing and stop worrying about Charlie, Stan, or Mary and only worry about yourself! Good Luck!

Good advice.