The MAJORITY is speaking

tieguy

Banned
It doesnt really matter brothers and sisters.

The power of the PEN obviously failed us all. Look at the actual numbers of people voting. Just about 11% of the total members eligible to vote have actually voted.

The Teamsters played all the cards right. Leave a limited number of days for mailing out and mailing back ballots, only leave a 2 week window to prevent any organized effort to spread the word, then sit back and watch the contract pass with a limited number of ballots returned.

Congrats Mr. Hoffa, you just got yourself UN-ELECTED.

Peace.:peaceful:

Logically speaking wasn't this contract a vote for hoffa? Hoffa sold it. So what makes you think Hoffa could sell a contract with an overwhelming majority and not get the same percentage on his re-election vote?

I'm curious too about the margin. Has any contract ever sold such a high margin of victory before?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Folks,

what does margin of victory mean, anyway? How can you possibly vote no if you're in the CS? It's pretty silly, IMO.

This is a very poor contract outside anyone who's about to retire or retired in the CS. Unfortunately, alot of sheep bought into the propaganda and voted yes.

If anyone really read the contract closely, it was AT BEST mediocre.

There's still no excuses for putting the CS mess into the hands of the entire union votes. Should have been a supplement concerning them only. THen, of course, this mess would have been voted down in other areas more readily.

Wheres my pension funds 5 billion, BTW? we all should be asking that....

jccuch

retired & love it !!!!!
i fill sorry for all of you , we went on strike back in i think 1975 to keep all part timers out and keep the company all FULL TIMERS well most of you are part timers in this company!!!!!!! you realy need RON CARY back as and you wouldent have these problems.

athena

Athena,

Respectively, 34% of the membership, regardless of the number is NOT A MAJORITY.

Its a sad statement towards the Teamsters ability to unify the membership.

At the end of the day, a small voter turnout by calculation what was in order.

Give the members two weeks to recieve, read, digest & mail back the ballots, then throw in a mailing holiday ( Veterans day) which delays mail there and back and then prevent the ballots recieved after Friday Nov 16th from being counted.

Just look at the numbers for the WEST and then compare the recieved ballots with the actual number of members in those locals..

Quite a large descrepancy.

This cannot be disputed.

Yes, I know it is not a majority. I think you mistake my comment as support for the contract. I also share the concerns about the part-timers. I just thought that it was unwise to indicate it was only an 11% vote instead of what it actually was, overall 34%. I have always thought the best arugments are the honest ones. I agree voter turn out does seem a little low.

I also think Tie makes a good point. If Hoffa negotiated and backed this contract, it is hard to imagine the people he represents would not have followed him. A lot of people in this world are followers. This isn't a bad thing, it just is what it is. There have to be followers.

I think this was also true when Carey was heading up the Teamsters. "Some" people followed him because he was the leader and they were followers. You can talk as romantically as you want about the strike and I am not saying it was good or bad. However, the fact remains, if Carey had done the same thing as Hoffa did this year, people would have followed in 1997 just as they did today.

When President Clinton began his first term, his approval rating was approx. 50%. By 1998 it was around 60% and after his impeachment, it went UP to 73%. There are reasons certain people are the leaders and those reasons mean there will be people who follow. Again, this should not be taken as my lack of support for President Clinton. Just an example.

BrownShark

Banned
Logically speaking wasn't this contract a vote for hoffa? Hoffa sold it. So what makes you think Hoffa could sell a contract with an overwhelming majority and not get the same percentage on his re-election vote?

I'm curious too about the margin. Has any contract ever sold such a high margin of victory before?

Tie,

This is the stupid comment I predicted would come out of this vote.

"overwhelming majority" ??

Dont be an idiot, I know its tough for you, but if you really tried, you could do it.

To be an overwhelming majority, you would first have to have at least 50% of the total membership voting. Its not even close to that.

Statistically, in the WEST, only 17% of the membership had a ballot counted. Now, for what ever reason, whether never recieved, not returned in time or just didnt vote, this vote should not count.

I believe that the Teamsters should have allowed a 30 day window for returning ballots. Two weeks was NOT enough time to read, understand, ask questions and then mail back in time.

But as i said before, this was all by design.

Look at the numbers for the WEST, with only 17% of ballots counted, thats alot of members that didnt vote. You would think both the company and the Union would want ALL to participate.

In my local, complaints of not recieved, recieved too late or replacement ballots sent too late for mailing are the biggest factors here.

Only 1883 out of 10500+ members had a ballot counted. Does that represent a majority in your mind?

Of that 1883, 1255 elected to accept while 628 voted to reject the contract. Should 1255 members dictate to 10500+ what happens with a contract that affects all for 5 years and 8 months?

This yes vote in 396 represents only 11% percent of the voting members, does this sound like a majority.

Please stop being an Ash, the contract passed, give it a rest.

Peace. :peaceful:

BrownShark

Banned
Actually, isn't 82,000 approximately 34%. I thought there were around 240,000 UPS teamsters in the small package side of UPS.

Athena,

Out of curiosity, where are you getting your numbers from??

Officially, only 73589 votes were counted. Thats short of the 82K that you posted.

This represents only 25% of the total UPSer's in the network nationwide including Puerto Rico.

Again, not a majority.

Lets stop using the word "Majority" and say that of all the ballots recieved, a majority of 1/3 of the members voted yes.

Congrats to those locals who shot their respective riders and supplements down, you have the NUTS!

tieguy

Banned
The majority are obviously lacking reading comprehension skills and critical thinking ability. I see no reason anyone would vote yes if they actually read the contract and fully understood what they read. Doesn't matter to me, I already have my plan in place if this goes through.

lol, your point that a handfull of company haters somehow understand this contract better then all those people is laughable. Whats really sad is this message board polls show that we apparently have an overwhelming majority of company haters and malcontents posting on this board since our polls were always lopsided against.

Its time to cut your losses. All you haters who lobbied against this contract can still quit the company and save yourself from suffering through this world ending contract.

tieguy

Banned
i fill sorry for all of you , we went on strike back in i think 1975 to keep all part timers out and keep the company all FULL TIMERS well most of you are part timers in this company!!!!!!! you realy need RON CARY back as and you wouldent have these problems.

you went on strike in 1975 to do what? Better go back and revisit that part of history.

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

Dont be an idiot, I know its tough for you, but if you really tried, you could do it.

Why would I possibly want to drop down to your level?

To be an overwhelming majority, you would first have to have at least 50% of the total membership voting. Its not even close to that.

Statistically, in the WEST, only 17% of the membership had a ballot counted. Now, for what ever reason, whether never recieved, not returned in time or just didnt vote, this vote should not count.

it is what it is. You folks were on here crying because management was pushing everyone to get a ballot and vote. So at this point the votes are in and an overwhelming majority of those who voted appear to be pushing a yes vote. you understood that point well enough and really did not need to waste our time making that point.

I believe that the Teamsters should have allowed a 30 day window for returning ballots. Two weeks was NOT enough time to read, understand, ask questions and then mail back in time.

same process they used when you voted on a contract offer during Ron Careys years. Nothing has changed including your whining.

Please stop being an Ash, the contract passed, give it a rest.

no I won't give it a rest. Read up on the word character. then try to develop some.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The latest vote tally I read is 49,971 voted for the National, and 21,179 against. Thats about two to one, a clear majority.

Griff

lol, your point that a handfull of company haters somehow understand this contract better then all those people is laughable. Whats really sad is this message board polls show that we apparently have an overwhelming majority of company haters and malcontents posting on this board since our polls were always lopsided against.

Its time to cut your losses. All you haters who lobbied against this contract can still quit the company and save yourself from suffering through this world ending contract.

A handful? Way to downplay the facts. No, whats really sad is the fact you and various other UPS management voted in several threads pertaining to the contract. You purposely tried to skew the results of more than one poll, this is indisputable fact. That's whats really sad buddy, a person who grandstands on these forums about character, integrity, honesty -- typical management. You should ask Eskew if you can have your soul back when he retires.

tieguy said:
it is what it is. You folks were on here crying because management was pushing everyone to get a ballot and vote.

Excuse me, but I love how you skate around the fact UPS management was telling everyone to vote YES. It's one thing to encourage people to vote but when you tell people to vote YES via phone, mail, in person; it's clearly unacceptable. Teamster management are equally as guilty for using everything but brute force to ensure a yes vote.

tieguy

Banned
A handful? Way to downplay the facts. No, whats really sad is the fact you and various other UPS management voted in several threads pertaining to the contract.

I'm sorry was i voting on a teamster site that required a teamster vote only or was I on the brown cafe voting?

You purposely tried to skew the results of more than one poll, this is indisputable fact.

by casting one vote that apparently was closer to representing the majority then you were. Guess I'm a little closer to knowing what your teamster brothers want then you were. Uhuh.

That's whats really sad buddy, a person who grandstands on these forums about character, integrity, honesty -- typical management. You should ask Eskew if you can have your soul back when he retires.

My soul is employed in enjoying what I do. Yours is employed in being as miserable as you can be. Now you tell me who's soul is really lost?

Excuse me, but I love how you skate around the fact UPS management was telling everyone to vote YES.

I think I was pretty clearly against management doing so. I only saw one poster on here say they had someone doing so I recommended they contract their steward. Don't know how that translates into a skate. Am I not supposed to tell them to talk to their shop steward?

It's one thing to encourage people to vote but when you tell people to vote YES via phone, mail, in person; it's clearly unacceptable. Teamster management are equally as guilty for using everything but brute force to ensure a yes vote.

ah hate to break this to you but the teamster leadership has every right under NLRB guidelines to tell its members to vote yes by all those means. Perhaps you need me to educate you on labor law?

Griff

tieguy said:
blue words

You "voted" yes to a contract that doesn't affect you and you have no say in. You didn't receive a ballot, you are in management, you cannot vote. It's certainly your right to pollute all the polls on this website if that's your goal, the least you can do is be a man about it. Don't come at people preaching honesty, character, integrity, <insert new cliche management word of the week> when you don't represent any of those three. Just because I come here and keep it real doesn't mean I'm miserable in everyday life. Save the internet assumptions for someone who cares, next you'll be telling me that I live in my mother's basement.

tieguy

Banned
You "voted" yes to a contract that doesn't affect you and you have no say in. You didn't receive a ballot, you are in management, you cannot vote.

On this poll I can vote. Thanks for playing.

It's certainly your right to pollute all the polls on this website if that's your goal, the least you can do is be a man about it.

And let me guess you're poll mirrored the national vote and was only off by one vote? Nice try. Thanks for playing.

Don't come at people preaching honesty, character, integrity, <insert new cliche management word of the week> when you don't represent any of those three.

Because I voted on a poll that was open to the brown cafe. Many you're really stretching it now. I've never hidden who I was or that I voted. Again thanks for playing . If this is the worst you can say about me then I'll sleep good tonight.

ust because I come here and keep it real doesn't mean I'm miserable in everyday life. Save the internet assumptions for someone who cares, next you'll be telling me that I live in my mother's basement.

Naaaa I picture you more as the role model for jethro tulls aqua lung.

over9five

Staff member
"your point that a handfull of company haters somehow understand this contract better then all those people is laughable."

EXACTLY. A very vocal MINORITY somehow knows more than the rest of us. RIGHT!!!! Maybe they'll go away now.
And if it's REALLY sooooooo bad, they'll quit, right??? (Somehow I think they'll keep coming to work, probably sulking...)

brazenbrown

You "voted" yes to a contract that doesn't affect you and you have no say in. You didn't receive a ballot, you are in management, you cannot vote. It's certainly your right to pollute all the polls on this website if that's your goal, the least you can do is be a man about it. Don't come at people preaching honesty, character, integrity, <insert new cliche management word of the week> when you don't represent any of those three. Just because I come here and keep it real doesn't mean I'm miserable in everyday life. Save the internet assumptions for someone who cares, next you'll be telling me that I live in my mother's basement.

More importantly the sane among us voted to pass the contract and it has passed. It's too bad that you and your compadres will have to suffer another 5 years of menial hard work with practically no pay.

There is always the alternative...You can quit and relieve yourself of all the misery.

To all the people who invaded this board over the last couple of months (TDU especially) your failed efforts to mislead, coerce and take down this contract and this website have failed...

Whatever will you do with your spare time now??:happy-very: