The man behind ORION

curiousbrain

So if ups can predict all of these things and use data for this and that, why the hell don't I get extra time for the stop that I have heavier packages at..ups knows the weights of the packages in the car..it's just data right? Or more time for the dock and bell stops that are historically slower than me walking into the front of a building. How about the house or business that gets more damaged packages, and ups has data on this, why don't I get more time for this stop knowing we will have to inspect said damaged packages. How about the roads that are busier than others, do I get more time for being on those roads during certain times of the day?They want the data to only go one way...but we all know that data can be manipulated in many different directions.

The "honest" answer probably goes something like this:

Despite your own problems, we still saved 30 million miles and booku dollars; so you shut up.

Indecisi0n

The "honest" answer probably goes something like this:

Despite your own problems, we still saved 30 million miles and booku dollars; so you shut up.

When the Orion guy came out with me and asked me what a thought I asked him this. I said say we save 5 miles everyday which adds up and is a lot in the long run. By running the route like this you are keeping me out later and the end results are paying me more money in OT than you are saving on gas/miles. He gave me a blank stare and said "Yea but its only about miles." I laughed and we keep going.

curiousbrain

When the Orion guy came out with me and asked me what a thought I asked him this. I said say we save 5 miles everyday which adds up and is a lot in the long run. By running the route like this you are keeping me out later and the end results are paying me more money in OT than you are saving on gas/miles. He gave me a blank stare and said "Yea but its only about miles." I laughed and we keep going.

Chocolate ice cream? Six dollars.
Axe body spray? Eight dollars.
Pack of smokes? Ten dollars.

Having your head up your own ass? Priceless.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I found out some really good news about ORION today.

The training, the "shadow ride" and subsequent live implementation ride for my route....are scheduled for the second week of August, when I will be on vacation.

Problem solved!! I'm not gonna have to spend 10+ hours stuck in a hot truck listening to some dumbschitt who has never driven a package car in his life trying to tell me how to run my route according to what the GPS in his iPad says. My sanity (whats left of it anyway) wont be threatened by having to spend 10+ hours arguing with him; nor will I be forced to spend that 10+ hours desperately fighting the urge to pick the little twerp up and toss him face first through the windshield when he orders me to take some rutted, potholed goat trail to my next stop instead of "wasting" an extra .4 of a mile going the "long" way on a smooth, paved 45MPH road.

This is awesome. No drama, no conflict, no worries. They can do whatever the hell they want and I wont have to be there to deal with it. The only "training" I will need when I return from vacation is to be shown which button on the DIAD I need to push in order to shut ORION off. Life is good! :wink2:

S

serenity now

The training, the "shadow ride" and subsequent live implementation ride for my route....are scheduled for the second week of August, when I will be on vacation.

Problem solved!! I'm not gonna have to spend 10+ hours stuck in a hot truck listening to some dumbschitt who has never driven a package car in his life trying to tell me how to run my route according to what the GPS in his iPad says. My sanity (whats left of it anyway) wont be threatened by having to spend 10+ hours arguing with him; nor will I be forced to spend that 10+ hours desperately fighting the urge to pick the little twerp up and toss him face first through the windshield when he orders me to take some rutted, potholed goat trail to my next stop instead of "wasting" an extra .4 of a mile going the "long" way on a smooth, paved 45MPH road.

This is awesome. No drama, no conflict, no worries. They can do whatever the hell they want and I wont have to be there to deal with it. The only "training" I will need when I return from vacation is to be shown which button on the DIAD I need to push in order to shut ORION off. Life is good! :wink2:

The actual lucky one is that poor sumbeach trainer who won't have to listen to your diatribe for 10+ hours a day; he just won't be aware of his good fortune. :happy-very: Hey, everybody wins.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There is a print out posted in our center everyday comparing this year to last in several categories since we began Orion. We do show a 2% reduction in miles weekly but paid day is up.50 hrs a week avaerage and over allowed is the same. I have not crunched the numbers but it seems to me at $48hr half hour a week to every driver in the center (average 49 routes) would be way more costly than what your saving in miles. we are somewhere around 7500 miles a week in the center. A 2% reduction is approximately 150 miles.

Lets just figure it!!

My overtime rate is $48.435 x .50 = $24.225 x 49 = $1187.025 more wages paid out weekly in our center since orion is put in!

7500 miles x 2% = 150 miles a week saved. 150/8 (8 is the approximate average fuel mileage in our building)=18.75 gallons of fuel saved weekly. 18.75 x 3.59(retail price of fuel at present in this area)time here = $67.3125 this is the approximate amount of money saved in fuel costs since orion installation here!!

1187.025-
67.3125=
1119.7125 This is is increase in dollars spent since implementation !!

Good job UPS!!

oldngray

nowhere special
There is a print out posted in our center everyday comparing this year to last in several categories since we began Orion. We do show a 2% reduction in miles weekly but paid day is up.50 hrs a week avaerage and over allowed is the same. I have not crunched the numbers but it seems to me at $48hr half hour a week to every driver in the center (average 49 routes) would be way more costly than what your saving in miles. we are somewhere around 7500 miles a week in the center. A 2% reduction is approximately 150 miles.

Lets just figure it!!

My overtime rate is $48.435 x .50 = $24.225 x 49 = $1187.025 more wages paid out weekly in our center since orion is put in!

7500 miles x 2% = 150 miles a week saved. 150/8 (8 is the approximate average fuel mileage in our building)=18.75 gallons of fuel saved weekly. 18.75 x 3.59(retail price of fuel at present in this area)time here = $67.3125 this is the approximate amount of money saved in fuel costs since orion installation here!!

1187.025-
67.3125=

Good job UPS!!

Don't confuse people with facts!

CoolArrow

I cant wait for the "fun" to start.

There wont be any "85% compliance" concerns for me. They can either let me run it the way it needs to be run according to my 18 yrs of area knowledge, or they can have me shut my brain off, run that bitch one hundred percent compliant, and watch it crash and burn. I have more important things to worry about during the day than generating one more meaningless metric for one more meaningless report.

The other fun little part will happen when I follow ORION like a good little boy and wind up 10 miles from the nearest public restroom at lunch time. When that happens, I will simply drive on the clock back to the nearest suitable place to eat, take my lunch, and then drive on the clock back to where ORION wants me to resume the route. If they want to make my life hell over some 85% compliance rate, then I can make their life hell every time its 6:30 at night and I'm up in the deep dark woods (staying hydrated like they tell me to of course) and I gotta take a leak. Nearest tree or bush in a secluded area? Hell no, I'm going for a drive clear back down in to town on the clock to the nearest public bathroom, and then back up the mountain on the clock to continue where I left off. My miles will be off the chart, but by Golly I will be well hydrated and 100% ORION compliant and we all know that that is what really matters.

Hell yes. If you want us to follow it then fix it because I am doing 100% also. If you tell me to use my best judgment then I am doing it 100% my way. There are no in betweens here. They did our center a few years ago, we were the first in this experiment, and now it is only partially complete, half-assed like EDD was. The Orion loop will cause me to miss air commits and cause missed businesses, as well as the occasional crazy trace that makes no sense. Crawling through the load to find a package that is actually on another drivers car but you don't find that out until you unload the damn truck doesn't save much time either.

CoolArrow

They rode with me 3 times and it was the greatest thing ever. We stayed out all night and I was 1.5 hours on average over allowed. I did the speed limit and followed the methods and I did it their trace until the guy would get exasperated and have to throw in the towel and tell me to do it how it makes sense.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lets just figure it!!

1187.025-
67.3125=

Good job UPS!!

But u have to take into account all the wear taken off those vehicles. Lol

tourists24

We are very close to having our rides now for ORION.... Im gonna have to remember to ask this to see what response I get.... good one

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They rode with me 3 times and it was the greatest thing ever. We stayed out all night and I was 1.5 hours on average over allowed. I did the speed limit and followed the methods and I did it their trace until the guy would get exasperated and have to throw in the towel and tell me to do it how it makes sense.

Spending 11+ hours trapped in a package car for 3 straight days arguing with some ORION weenie over the best way to run my route....when its 100 freaking degrees outside in mid August...is not my idea of a good time. I'd rather have a root canal than to go through a nightmare like that, and I think the ORION weenie who will wind up missing the pleasure of my company for those 3 days will feel the exact same way.

Indecisi0n

Spending 11+ hours trapped in a package car for 3 straight days arguing with some ORION weenie over the best way to run my route....when its 100 freaking degrees outside in mid August...is not my idea of a good time. I'd rather have a root canal than to go through a nightmare like that, and I think the ORION weenie who will wind up missing the pleasure of my company for those 3 days will feel the exact same way.

Your looking at it all wrong. I rather enjoyed the experience. He had his little stupid computer out like he knows what he is going so I play along and have him tell me where I should go next. We do that until lunch and he asks our ETA and its priceless when I tell him 9:30pm.