The Math of This Concessionary Contract - Finally, I Understand.

InsideUPS

Do you remember in school when you were taught about (negative) numbers? You know, when two negatives are actually a positive. Well let me give you a clear example of how this "Concessionary Contract" is actually a positive thanks to the logic of one of Brown Cafe's leading members..

"This is a fair contract. Nothing stays the same forever
. Is it a concession? Yes but we need this company to always make record profits so we can keep getting good contracts." (Hmmm...let's think about that for a moment)

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/contract-approval-vote-349757/index6.html#ixzz2RjkbRG5M

So, with this logic...... you can now "clearly" understand that if we keep giving concessions (which are negatives) to UPS......UPS will always make record profits (which are positives).....(keep following cuz here's where it gets tricky)....... so we can keep getting "good" (aka concessions or negatives) contracts.......

To Hoaxster: You were correct..."
Hmmmm ... you don't know your audience very well do you?" I concede....and you can now "rest your case"...

over9five

Staff member

So, with this logic...... you can now "clearly" understand that if we keep giving concessions (which are negatives) to UPS......UPS will always make record profits (which are positives).....(keep following cuz here's where it gets tricky)....... so we can keep getting "good" (aka concessions or negatives) contracts.......

I could at least forgive this explanation if it were coming from UPS, but we are getting it from a Teamster.....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I could at least forgive this explanation if it were coming from UPS, but we are getting it from a Teamster.....

Yeah record profits, concessions, and good contract don't belong anywhere near each other.

I will say there could still be language in the contract that we haven't seen yet that could make this a "decent" not good contract.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah record profits, concessions, and good contract don't belong anywhere near each other.

I will say there could still be language in the contract that we haven't seen yet that could make this a "decent" not good contract.

I'm hoping there's something in the details myself, but as more of the "rumors and speculation" emerge without the actual TA it's really getting hard to even think about voting yes.

I'm ok with healthcare being moved, even with a slight decrease of benefits(major I'll never vote yes), with the raises being about the same as the last contract. The big thing bugging me aside from the potential loss of benefits is no catchup raise to match the bump in starting pay. If I was assured I would lose nothing in benefits, and I mean nothing, then I have no problem with new hires starting better than I and not getting an increase myself. If I'm having to pay even $1 more for benefits I want something better than just "equivalent" raises to the last contract and "more FT opportunity" that hasn't been properly honored in the last couple contracts.

No Syncro

You have to factor into the equation that after trucking deregulation, (thank you Ted Kennedy) wiped out hundreds of thousands of Teamster jobs; it is the ugly step child; UPS, that keeps the IBT afloat. More workers equals more dues equals survival of the union. A lot of Teamster officials never respected the workers at UPS, but without their dues, the IBT would have gone under.

InsideUPS

I'm hoping there's something in the details myself, but as more of the "rumors and speculation" emerge without the actual TA it's really getting hard to even think about voting yes.

I'm ok with healthcare being moved, even with a slight decrease of benefits(major I'll never vote yes), with the raises being about the same as the last contract. The big thing bugging me aside from the potential loss of benefits is no catchup raise to match the bump in starting pay. If I was assured I would lose nothing in benefits, and I mean nothing, then I have no problem with new hires starting better than I and not getting an increase myself. If I'm having to pay even $1 more for benefits I want something better than just "equivalent" raises to the last contract and "more FT opportunity" that hasn't been properly honored in the last couple contracts.

Nimnim...... your comment "If I was assured I would lose nothing in benefits, and I mean nothing, then I have no problem with new hires starting better than I and not getting an increase myself" speaks VERY highly of your character...as I mentioned in my positive rep of you.

I personally have NOTHING to complain about with this contract...UNLESS it results in part-time employees receiving reduced healthcare benefits or significantly reduced retiree healthcare benefits.

AS a RED CIRCLED employee, I believe that all of us "red circled" employees should have or could have "sacrificed" any wage increases with this contract for the benefits of younger part-time employees and/or retiree healthcare (IMHO). The only negative of being a red circled employee is that we pay the same Union dues as full-time drivers... (which is minor when compared to the low wages of part-timers working directly next to me.)

InsideUPS

You have to factor into the equation that after trucking deregulation, (thank you Ted Kennedy) wiped out hundreds of thousands of Teamster jobs; it is the ugly step child; UPS, that keeps the IBT afloat. More workers equals more dues equals survival of the union. A lot of Teamster officials never respected the workers at UPS, but without their dues, the IBT would have gone under.

I believe as you do....that UPS is the backbone of the Teamster Union. Our Teamster officials use UPS'ers in a manner that is not necessarily in the best interest of UPSers alone... Membership in a multi-employer Union has both positive and negative ramifications.

Nimnim

The Nim
Nimnim...... your comment "If I was assured I would lose nothing in benefits, and I mean nothing, then I have no problem with new hires starting better than I and not getting an increase myself" speaks VERY highly of your character...as I mentioned in my positive rep of you.

I personally have NOTHING to complain about with this contract...UNLESS it results in part-time employees receiving reduced healthcare benefits or significantly reduced retiree healthcare benefits.

AS a RED CIRCLED employee, I believe that all of us "red circled" employees should have or could have "sacrificed" any wage increases with this contract for the benefits of younger part-time employees and/or retiree healthcare (IMHO). The only negative of being a red circled employee is that we pay the same Union dues as full-time drivers... (which is minor when compared to the low wages of part-timers working directly next to me.)

Everyone has to put their time in if they want to make a career out of this place. It sucked a bit when I started in '05, but I still had a promise of moving up quickly then, but now the wait to move up is in the double digit years so I have no problem with someone starting better than me since they'll still have to put in a good chunk of time. If I'm getting the shaft so they can get it a little easier to start though my mind instantly says, "Well if I'm getting the shaft now, what's going to happen to them when they're in my shoes 8 years from now?"

Delivered

I have a feeling if that were the case, hall would have already put out one of his Memos... Pounding his chest like he did with were not paying $90/$9/9 cents.

The lack of communication in 2013 now that they have a "handshake agreement" just goes to show, the Union much like the Congress and Senate want us to be uninformed

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Other than the fact.... that TDU supporters.... barely, have a grasp of the english language. :happy-very:
-Bug-
Old Guard cheerleader #1 has spoken. Again Bug had nothing of substance to add to the conversation.
Just keep telling everyone how lucky we are to have jobs. Maybe you'll scare some nube into voting yes.

realbrown1

You should ask for your money back.... from TDU. They certainly didn't teach you how to spell.

-Bug-
You are only good as a spellchecker. You suck as a union cheerleader.
And by the way, I've never given TDU a nickle, and never been to a meeting. I just like them because they actually try to inform the membership. Not like you cheerleaders. All slam, no info.

realbrown1

Why not? They suck. They already recanted their first report on the wages and never admitted they had it wrong.
They couldn't even add!!

On BC the last few days, there is more hate going toward the Old Guard than you cheerleaders can dish out toward TDU. People are starting to see Hoffa's true colors. Hoffa is bought and paid for by UPS.

stink219

Why not? They suck. They already recanted their first report on the wages and never admitted they had it wrong.
They couldn't even add!!

On BC the last few days, there is more hate going toward the Old Guard than you cheerleaders can dish out toward TDU. People are starting to see Hoffa's true colors. Hoffa is bought and paid for by UPS.
Yeah, it's gonna sucks to be making $58 an hour in total compensation after this contract. How is Ken P going to fit all of the drivers names on his 100K list? The only thing I'm pissed at Hoffa about is him putting me in a higher tax bracket.

realbrown1

Yeah, it's gonna sucks to be making $58 an hour in total compensation after this contract. How is Ken P going to fit all of the drivers names on his 100K list? The only thing I'm pissed at Hoffa about is him putting me in a higher tax bracket.
Wow, you have figured out that we get a whopping 1.7% pay increase on average over the life of the contract. Wow, we are going to all be rich!!!! OMG :censored2: