The Math of This Concessionary Contract - Finally, I Understand.

stink219

Wow, you have figured out that we get a whopping 1.7% pay increase on average over the life of the contract. Wow, we are going to all be rich!!!! OMG :censored2:
It's a 5.52% increase. You have a serious issue with the truth don't you? What grade did you complete? If it was more than 3rd grade you should ask for your money back. Ohhhhh, I get it, you took 3.90 but calculated based on what we will end up with hourly?? LMFAO!!!! Hahahaha. Go have any 9 year old to do it the right way and get back to us you maroon!!! Lololololol!!! Hahaha! Sorry I can't stop laughing!! Hahahaha!!!!!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I believe as you do....that UPS is the backbone of the Teamster Union. Our Teamster officials use UPS'ers in a manner that is not necessarily in the best interest of UPSers alone... Membership in a multi-employer Union has both positive and negative ramifications.

Maybe it's time to split away.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's a 5.52% increase. You have a serious issue with the truth don't you? What grade did you complete? If it was more than 3rd grade you should ask for your money back. Ohhhhh, I get it, you took 3.90 but calculated based on what we will end up with hourly?? LMFAO!!!! Hahahaha. Go have any 9 year old to do it the right way and get back to us you maroon!!! Lololololol!!! Hahaha! Sorry I can't stop laughing!! Hahahaha!!!!!!
A $.70 raise for someone making over $33 per hour is not 5.52%. You do not calculate benefit raises into hourly pay . You calculate benefit raises separately.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A $.70 raise for someone makeing over $33 per hour is not 5.52% you friend-ing :censored2:. You do not calculate benefit raises into hourly pay :censored2:. You calculate benefit raises separately, :censored2:.

I don't understand where either of you got your percent increase. Maybe if you put the figures out something like below, we could better understand.

$3.90 total increase in wage / 5 yrs = $0.78 per yr / $32 hr current = 2.4% average yearly increase per year. (This is wages only)

However, Stink is correct in incorporating the total compensation increase.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I don't understand where either of you got your percent increase. Maybe if you put the figures out something like below, we could better understand.

$3.90 total increase in wage / 5 yrs = $0.78 per yr / $32 hr current = 2.4% average yearly increase per year. (This is wages only)

You are correct in that it is about 2.4% over the life of contract in pay increases.
But you are wrong on calculating the % for the pay increases and benefit increases because you failed to calculate our total pay+benefit amount today versus our pay+ benefit amount in 2018. It is closer to 3% over the life of the contract.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are correct in that it is about 2.4% over the life of contract in pay increases.
But you are wrong on calculating the % for the pay increases and benefit increases because you failed to calculate our total pay+benefit amount today versus our pay+ benefit amount in 2018. It is closer to 3% over the life of the contract.

That was the reason for putting "(This is wages only)" so readers would understand it was for wages only ... or at least I thought it would.

You are only good as a spellchecker. You suck as a union cheerleader.
And by the way, I've never given TDU a nickle, and never been to a meeting. I just like them because they actually try to inform the membership. Not like you cheerleaders. All slam, no info.
What local are you from???

Do you remember in school when you were taught about (negative) numbers? You know, when two negatives are actually a positive. Well let me give you a clear example of how this "Concessionary Contract" is actually a positive thanks to the logic of one of Brown Cafe's leading members..

"This is a fair contract. Nothing stays the same forever
. Is it a concession? Yes but we need this company to always make record profits so we can keep getting good contracts." (Hmmm...let's think about that for a moment)

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/contract-approval-vote-349757/index6.html#ixzz2RjkbRG5M

So, with this logic...... you can now "clearly" understand that if we keep giving concessions (which are negatives) to UPS......UPS will always make record profits (which are positives).....(keep following cuz here's where it gets tricky)....... so we can keep getting "good" (aka concessions or negatives) contracts.......

To Hoaxster: You were correct..."
Hmmmm ... you don't know your audience very well do you?" I concede....and you can now "rest your case"...
What local are you from???

Steward773

With the split raises in the last contract we lost $2476.5, only two years of split raises in this tentative agreement we lose $1111.50. I guess that is a positive, but I would rather see no split raises. I based this off of a 45 hour work week.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
With the split raises in the last contract we lost $2476.5, only two years of split raises in this tentative agreement we lose $1111.50. I guess that is a positive, but I would rather see no split raises. I based this off of a 45 hour work week.

Yep with the split raises the company actually saves money with our 80 cent raise over the 70 cent ones.

InsideUPS

Neither of you are temsters. I'm willing to bet this. You don't work at ups either.

Just because they know how to do math does not mean they are not temsters.

Hoaxster...... Your "subtle" ways of getting points across are well........simply pricele$$. I've been searching the Internet for additional awards for you but have not found anything worthy of your facetious responses to certain posts. Thank you for your humor and making Brown Cafe a "fun" and "entertaining" place to visit.

anonymous.... Apparently you have a problem with me.....for whatever reason(s) I will never understand and quite honestly....do not really care. Did the fact that I ignored your negative reputation of me bother you?

This will be the ONLY time I address you or your continued doubt about my membership with the IBT. First, I do not owe it to you or anyone else to disclose my Local. For what reasons would I be spending time on Brown Cafe if I was not associated with UPS? Do you really believe that I am here simply to create controversy with staunch UPS Teamster members such as yourself ? Do you or other IBT members feel insulted when I make comments? I certainly hope not because that is NOT my intention. Questioning our Union representatives is what a democracy is all about. Remember, we live in America and can make comments based on our freedom to do so. Constructive criticism is what makes people and organizations better and stronger.

I respect you for who you are and for what you believe in. I also respect the comments of Bug, Stink, and others who are strong Union supporters. I read TDU but am not a member. I have been involved in more Union matters than you may ever imagine. Testified in front of the NLRB, steward for approximately 20 years.... met Billy Lichtenwald several times at the state panel....etc.. There is absolutely no reason to question my membership with the IBT. Please know that I deeply appreciate all the our Union has done for myself and others. I would not have a job at UPS today if were not for our Union. That said, I have been witness to issues in which I felt that our Union let our Brothers and Sisters down. When I see this happen, I am going to speak up for those that cannot speak for themselves.

Teamster representatives including yourself, could improve the public perception of we Union members 100% by presenting your opinions and thoughts in a "less intense" and dignified manner. I believe one of the most important attributes of a good Union steward is the ability to "LISTEN" rather than "TALK". LISTEN to the concerns of fellow Brothers and Sisters.... When you and other "intense" stewards bark down the throats of more timid UPS Teamsters....they may agree with you face to face.....but behind your back they are probably commenting on what a jerk you are. You obviously have positive qualities that consist of loyalty and interest in Union matters. Drink a few beers....mellow out....and take things down a few notches..... At the end of the day...we are all on the same side whether you care to believe that or not. P.S. By side..... I don't mean Union vs. Managment.. I mean....we all work for a corporation called UPS...

stink219

However, Stink is correct in incorporating the total compensation increase.
People seem to forget the money they do not see. For instance, health and welfare. Right now I get an hourly wage of $32.26. What people do not remember is the $17.46 per hour that UPS pays into H&W. So that is $49.72. You following so far? With this contract, I will then get $36.16 in hourly wage. What SOME forget is that H&W will go to $22.46. So that will be a compensation of $58.62. RealB said increase over the life of the Contract. So that's an $8.90 increase in total compensation. Which actually comes to a 17.91% increase. But Real will knock it and divide it by 5 years so it's lower. Fact is, go show these figures to your friends, family and neighbors. I'm sure they will tell you how screwed we got. And Real, you already admitted that Pope and Paff had nothing to do with us making a total compensation of $140,000.00 a year after this contract. Free health, a pension and a great hourly wage!! Where are you going to find that anymore?

A

anonymous6

People seem to forget the money they do not see. For instance, health and welfare. Right now I get an hourly wage of $32.26. What people do not remember is the $17.46 per hour that UPS pays into H&W. So that is $49.72. You following so far? With this contract, I will then get $36.16 in hourly wage. What SOME forget is that H&W will go to $22.46. So that will be a compensation of $58.62. RealB said increase over the life of the Contract. So that's an $8.90 increase in total compensation. Which actually comes to a 17.91% increase. But Real will knock it and divide it by 5 years so it's lower. Fact is, go show these figures to your friends, family and neighbors. I'm sure they will tell you how screwed we got. And Real, you already admitted that Pope and Paff had nothing to do with us making a total compensation of $140,000.00 a year after this contract. Free health, a pension and a great hourly wage!! Where are you going to find that anymore?

great post. this helps me make a more informative decision.

DOK

I have a feeling if that were the case, hall would have already put out one of his Memos... Pounding his chest like he did with were not paying $90/$9/9 cents.

The lack of communication in 2013 now that they have a "handshake agreement" just goes to show, the Union much like the Congress and Senate want us to be uninformed

Wait, you guys haven't gotten a copy of the handshake agreement yet?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster...... Your "subtle" ways of getting points across are well........simply pricele$$. I've been searching the Internet for additional awards for you but have not found anything worthy of your facetious responses to certain posts. Thank you for your humor and making Brown Cafe a "fun" and "entertaining" place to visit.

I'm glad someone other than myself appreciates my attempts at humor.

anonymous.... Apparently you have a problem with me.....for whatever reason(s) I will never understand and quite honestly....do not really care. Did the fact that I ignored your negative reputation of me bother you?

This will be the ONLY time I address you or your continued doubt about my membership with the IBT. First, I do not owe it to you or anyone else to disclose my Local. For what reasons would I be spending time on Brown Cafe if I was not associated with UPS? Do you really believe that I am here simply to create controversy with staunch UPS Teamster members such as yourself ? Do you or other IBT members feel insulted when I make comments? I certainly hope not because that is NOT my intention. Questioning our Union representatives is what a democracy is all about. Remember, we live in America and can make comments based on our freedom to do so. Constructive criticism is what makes people and organizations better and stronger.

I respect you for who you are and for what you believe in. I also respect the comments of Bug, Stink, and others who are strong Union supporters. I read TDU but am not a member. I have been involved in more Union matters than you may ever imagine. Testified in front of the NLRB, steward for approximately 20 years.... met Billy Lichtenwald several times at the state panel....etc.. There is absolutely no reason to question my membership with the IBT. Please know that I deeply appreciate all the our Union has done for myself and others. I would not have a job at UPS today if were not for our Union. That said, I have been witness to issues in which I felt that our Union let our Brothers and Sisters down. When I see this happen, I am going to speak up for those that cannot speak for themselves.

Teamster representatives including yourself, could improve the public perception of we Union members 100% by presenting your opinions and thoughts in a "less intense" and dignified manner. I believe one of the most important attributes of a good Union steward is the ability to "LISTEN" rather than "TALK". LISTEN to the concerns of fellow Brothers and Sisters.... When you and other "intense" stewards bark down the throats of more timid UPS Teamsters....they may agree with you face to face.....but behind your back they are probably commenting on what a jerk you are. You obviously have positive qualities that consist of loyalty and interest in Union matters. Drink a few beers....mellow out....and take things down a few notches..... At the end of the day...we are all on the same side whether you care to believe that or not. P.S. By side..... I don't mean Union vs. Managment.. I mean....we all work for a corporation called UPS...
Ok I respect that. What local are you from?? You can pm me if you don't want it out there. I guess I thought as a 34 year guy that can bounce any time he wants that you wouldn't be so reluctant to put it out there. I'm a man as you seem to be also. I'm not ready to retire and my gonads make me unable to be annomious. Pm me if you want. I am intense but the way of life that I lived in the past would make you understand why. You could probably check around since you are close to my location and see about me. I've been through the ringer man. Pm me