The Math of This Concessionary Contract - Finally, I Understand.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
People seem to forget the money they do not see. For instance, health and welfare. Right now I get an hourly wage of $32.26. What people do not remember is the $17.46 per hour that UPS pays into H&W. So that is $49.72. You following so far? With this contract, I will then get $36.16 in hourly wage. What SOME forget is that H&W will go to $22.46. So that will be a compensation of $58.62. RealB said increase over the life of the Contract. So that's an $8.90 increase in total compensation. Which actually comes to a 17.91% increase. But Real will knock it and divide it by 5 years so it's lower. Fact is, go show these figures to your friends, family and neighbors. I'm sure they will tell you how screwed we got. And Real, you already admitted that Pope and Paff had nothing to do with us making a total compensation of $140,000.00 a year after this contract. Free health, a pension and a great hourly wage!! Where are you going to find that anymore?

Actually, I agree with your numbers. Notice how you haven't seen any post from me saying that I am voting NO on this contract.
I am OK with the pay increase.
I am OK with the pension increase.
If the healthcare for me and my family stays the same, that's another positive.
I want to see language that improves the panel system for UPS teamsters.
I want to see language that improves dealing with telematics.
And I want to see better language on 9.5 issues.
So actually I am leaning toward a YES vote. But not yet. That is why I want details.

InsideUPS

People seem to forget the money they do not see. For instance, health and welfare. Right now I get an hourly wage of $32.26. What people do not remember is the $17.46 per hour that UPS pays into H&W. So that is $49.72. You following so far? With this contract, I will then get $36.16 in hourly wage. What SOME forget is that H&W will go to $22.46. So that will be a compensation of $58.62. RealB said increase over the life of the Contract. So that's an $8.90 increase in total compensation. Which actually comes to a 17.91% increase. But Real will knock it and divide it by 5 years so it's lower. Fact is, go show these figures to your friends, family and neighbors. I'm sure they will tell you how screwed we got. And Real, you already admitted that Pope and Paff had nothing to do with us making a total compensation of $140,000.00 a year after this contract. Free health, a pension and a great hourly wage!! Where are you going to find that anymore?

In addition...UPS pays 6.2% of your social security tax...just double the amount that is deducted from your pay each week to determine exactly how much that amount is...

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
In addition...UPS pays 6.2% of your social security tax...just double the amount that is deducted from your pay each week to determine exactly how much that amount is...
Your employer pays the same amount to SS as you do. They do not pay double the amount.

InsideUPS

Your employer pays the same amount to SS as you do. They do not pay double the amount.

You are correct......you said exactly what I meant to say....before it was too late to edit.. thank you for clarifying.........

no wait....actually I was testing how many people on BC would actually catch my "mis-statement" as they say in politics...

bottomups..... you now go to the "top" of your class... (I wanted to beat Hoaxster to that statement)...

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

While what you say may be true, the SECOND we start comparing ourselves to the rest of the public, that's when we get on the slippery slope. I've dealt with people complaining about how much we get paid, how much vacation we get and how many women we get, for almost 30 years now. I tell them the same thing I've always tell them: "I'll give you a number you can call to fill out an application to work 50 to 60 hours a week, for people who treat you like crap and assume you're lying all of the time." In all of these years, no one has ever taken me up on it.

I don't care what anyone else feels about what I'm paid and what kind of benefits I get. It's none of their damn business and I have no use for their opinion about my job, situation and contract proposal.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Without a doubt, the biggest issue we deal with, is the panel system, and the corrupt union officials on these panels. No matter how strong the contract language is, it means not a thing when a union panel member votes against another union member at a panel case. There is no excuse for it. Yet it happens all of the time during panel cases. You can bet your ass a UPS management member of the panel never votes against UPS. Is it too much to ask for our side to do the same? Apparently, our guys don't want to disappoint their drinking buddies at UPS.