The MrFedex 2016 New Employee Handbook

CJinx

I've been on assignment to other stations; by myself for development, with teams to train new staff at a brand new station, and as part of an IC-to-ISP state transition team. As long as your expenses are reasonable (no bar bills, no personal shopping) and you have receipts for everything (credit card statement helps too), they are very quick to compensate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been on assignment to other stations; by myself for development, with teams to train new staff at a brand new station, and as part of an IC-to-ISP state transition team. As long as your expenses are reasonable (no bar bills, no personal shopping) and you have receipts for everything (credit card statement helps too), they are very quick to compensate.

Wouldn't it be easier for all involved to just give you a corporate credit card?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Summer weeks, no problem around here...
Nobody gets off between Thanksgiving and Jan 2, That week has been permanently blocked off as of two years ago, oh the tears from the CRRs who haven't had school age children in 3 decades, but needlessly take the school holiday weeks "just because" Thank goodness for no kids or I might be bothered.

I knew a guy who had no use for those school holidays but would bid them anyway and then charge people who wanted them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
LOL! We're talking about a company that loves to complicate the living crap out of what should be a pretty simple job.

If that's the case, you shouldn't even be in line at all.

Glad to see that the remedial grads are still participating.

Joe Nuno

Thanks, Joe. How many of your fellow employees have been summarily fired after a customer complaint? I know of quite a few, and if it's a big customer, they aren't going to ever reinstate you anyway because Fred might lose a nickel. I've also known plenty who deserved to get canned, but many more who did something minor or nothing at all, and were shown the door.
A couple people been fired because of customers complaints, but some of us know there's some bonding between management and customers, a set up.
You see Mr.Fedex when certain management got it for you, they are gonna set you up with a certain customer, their word against yours always beats yours.
Remember it fall under the at will status...no collective bargaining agreement, you have no Just Cause where you could dispute your grievance with thorough investigation.
And we all know Human Resources are never on your side, because after all, who pays them? Not you
Corporate does, and their obligation is to always protect the company not you, period.

FedExer267

I had a customer call in a complaint because I would not release their package. Apparently they want me to jump their fence into the yard that has 2 pitbulls roaming around. FedEx would not believe me and wanted to disqualify me as well. Glad I took a picture with my phone once I showed the pic not even a I'm sorry. Was told I was messing with their customer. My response was If your telling me you want to jump a fence where 2 pitbulls await then you are directing me to not work safe so go ahead and disqualify me see you in court. Gotta love this place that we don't work for but act like we are their disposable commodities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A couple people been fired because of customers complaints, but some of us know there's some bonding between management and customers, a set up.
You see Mr.Fedex when certain management got it for you, they are gonna set you up with a certain customer, their word against yours always beats yours.
Remember it fall under the at will status...no collective bargaining agreement, you have no Just Cause where you could dispute your grievance with thorough investigation.
And we all know Human Resources are never on your side, because after all, who pays them? Not you
Corporate does, and their obligation is to always protect the company not you, period.

The at-will employment is something most employees ignore or say it could never happen to them. "At-Will" means they can (and will terminate) you at any time for any reason and you have no legal recourse unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I remember a co-worker who was an excellent courier, but he didn't get along with one big shipper on his route. So they complained, and he was gone after an "investigation". These are a joke too because the suspension with pay period is simply a time window for FedEx Legal to see if they can dump you without fear of a lawsuit. If you do get your job back, the paid leave is usually converted to unpaid leave as a further insult/punishment.

I wasn't there, but the courier above didn't do anything but question the weights of what they were shipping, because he would have to load a lot of 40 pound boxes that he claims were 70 pound boxes. I don't doubt him.

Under at-will, he had no recourse.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm past the point where I can edit my other post, but I wanted to add-in another reason why FedEx doesn't want a union. It's called Weingarten Rights, a concept I know Joe is aware of, but a lot of you probably are not.

In a union, if you are going to be disciplined, you have the right to have your shop steward present during management's inquiry. Hopefully, the steward knows the contract inside and out, and that knowledge will protect you from management abuse. Also, you need to be terminated for cause. In short, you have to do something major to get canned, and it can't be something arbitrary like the norm at FedEx. You also have a witness, one that is on your side. At FedEx, it's you all alone against management, HR, HCMP, Legal, or the LTD/STD company, which is usually Aetna.

Management has to think long and hard before they discipline you, especially if you have a sharp steward. The FedEx process (the statement BS etc.) is designed so you will incriminate yourself with your own lack of knowledge. FedEx can fire you pretty much as they want, but Legal wants to make sure you're not a protected class or have some other extenuating circumstance where you can come back and sue them for wrongful termination.

Many employees find all of this out the hard way, and I know plenty of people who have been canned for accusations without proof, and because FedEx wanted to placate a big dollar customer.

Joe Nuno

I'm past the point where I can edit my other post, but I wanted to add-in another reason why FedEx doesn't want a union. It's called Weingarten Rights, a concept I know Joe is aware of, but a lot of you probably are not.

In a union, if you are going to be disciplined, you have the right to have your shop steward present during management's inquiry. Hopefully, the steward knows the contract inside and out, and that knowledge will protect you from management abuse. Also, you need to be terminated for cause. In short, you have to do something major to get canned, and it can't be something arbitrary like the norm at FedEx. You also have a witness, one that is on your side. At FedEx, it's you all alone against management, HR, HCMP, Legal, or the LTD/STD company, which is usually Aetna.

Management has to think long and hard before they discipline you, especially if you have a sharp steward. The FedEx process (the statement BS etc.) is designed so you will incriminate yourself with your own lack of knowledge. FedEx can fire you pretty much as they want, but Legal wants to make sure you're not a protected class or have some other extenuating circumstance where you can come back and sue them for wrongful termination.

Many employees find all of this out the hard way, and I know plenty of people who have been canned for accusations without proof, and because FedEx wanted to placate a big dollar customer.
Only Fedex employees that have this right are the "Pilots"

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The at-will employment is something most employees ignore or say it could never happen to them. "At-Will" means they can (and will terminate) you at any time for any reason and you have no legal recourse unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I remember a co-worker who was an excellent courier, but he didn't get along with one big shipper on his route. So they complained, and he was gone after an "investigation". These are a joke too because the suspension with pay period is simply a time window for FedEx Legal to see if they can dump you without fear of a lawsuit. If you do get your job back, the paid leave is usually converted to unpaid leave as a further insult/punishment.

I wasn't there, but the courier above didn't do anything but question the weights of what they were shipping, because he would have to load a lot of 40 pound boxes that he claims were 70 pound boxes. I don't doubt him.

Under at-will, he had no recourse.
Did he ever get his unemployment?

Purplepackage

No, he didn't. FedEx fights almost all unemployment claims and they successfully claimed he was fired "for cause". He found work within a short time, so it didn't really matter.

Have you seen some recently fired for a customer complaint? Because i havent, the company is hurting for employees pretty bad and they are pretty much holding on to everyone that will stay. Of course like you said they will terminate you for petty things if they dont like you

vantexan

Have you seen some recently fired for a customer complaint? Because i havent, the company is hurting for employees pretty bad and they are pretty much holding on to everyone that will stay. Of course like you said they will terminate you for petty things if they dont like you
What does that tell you when the U.S. has the lowest labor participation rate since 1977 and yet FedEx struggles to find people. The word is out.

dex 84

What does that tell you when the U.S. has the lowest labor participation rate since 1977 and yet FedEx struggles to find people. The word is out.

Either that or that people don't want to work at all, or that there is a growing level of incompetence and entitlement among the general public.

People want $15/hour to work at Starbucks, not to work at Fedex.

Purplepackage

Either that or that people don't want to work at all, or that there is a growing level of incompetence and entitlement among the general public.

People want $15/hour to work at Starbucks, not to work at Fedex.

I think the word may be out but you are also right, people just don't want to work anymore and when they find out how hard the job can be some days they quit. How many people truly want to wake up in the morning in the middle of a snowstorm and go to work? Pretty much nurses emt police oh yeah and fedex and ups

dex 84

I think the word may be out but you are also right, people just don't want to work anymore and when they find out how hard the job can be some days they quit. How many people truly want to wake up in the morning in the middle of a snowstorm and go to work? Pretty much nurses emt police oh yeah and fedex and ups

And then spend all day working in the snowstorm, accomplishing almost nothing, but risking life and limb to do so...

I think if the pay was better more people would stay longer but if you look at what you're making and what you have to do, it doesn't take long to reach the conclusion that there has to be an easier way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Not recently, and I agree with you that the standard has been lowered. I also think van is right that word is out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And then spend all day working in the snowstorm, accomplishing almost nothing, but risking life and limb to do so...

I think if the pay was better more people would stay longer but if you look at what you're making and what you have to do, it doesn't take long to reach the conclusion that there has to be an easier way.

When it's slick, call in sick. Seriously, your smartest move, since you will be blamed for any accident. Doesn't pay to be a hero.