The MrFedex 2016 New Employee Handbook

dex 84

When it's slick, call in sick. Seriously, your smartest move, since you will be blamed for any accident. Doesn't pay to be a hero.

Can't really call in sick for 3 months. Unless of course I slip on the ice and need to be out until the end of March. I wouldn't be the first one...

I'll just keep coming in and going at a safe pace. Depending on conditions what pace I consider to be safe varies greatly.

jdoff

If you're new here, or just lurking, please pay attention. For long-timers, you probably don't need to read it. From a 30-year employee who has pretty much seen it all, and wished he had never heard of FedEx. Here goes...

1. At-Will Employment: When you apply, you will be forced to sign something that says you are an "at-will" employee. Simply put, you can be fired for anything at any time, and you probably won't have legal recourse because you signed on Day 1. There are exceptions, but not many. Plus, you will sign numerous other documents, including your Employee Handbook, which contain this clause. Again, you will be forced to sign it, or you will be most likely be fired.

2. GFT/Open Door: FedEx likes to pretend these are a substitute for Weingarten protection enjoyed by union members. Not quite. What these really are is generally an opportunity for you to self-incriminate and give FedEx Legal the ammunition to terminate you. If you're a minority or have something substantial on management, you could be cleared or "win". Not likely.

3. Management Lies: They lie about anything and everything and will happily toss you under the bus to protect themselves. While we do have some decent managers, most are either failed couriers or losers who couldn't get a management gig at a decent employer. Some will ask you to falsify and then deny it. You will be fired...not them.

4. Falsification: This will get you fired, but only if you are on the naughty list. Suck enough management butt and you can do almost anything and get away with it. Your best bet is to never do it, so it won't be a problem. This includes working through lunch, faking times in your PowerPad etc. Don't be stupid.

5. Retirement: You don't have any. The PPA/PPP is a crappy annuity that is in no way a substitute for a real retirement plan. Mr. Smith killed the real retirement in 2008, and it wasn't spectacular. This should tell you something.

6. The 10-Step Plan: It isn't 10 years. This means that you will never reach top scale at FedEx. I personally know several people with well over 20 years that still are not topped-out. Again, this should tell you something.

7. Injuries: It's best if you don't report them unless they are very serious. If you want to keep your job, suck it up and deal with the pain if you can. Reporting an injury is like signing your own death warrant.

8. Benefits: Over-priced, expensive, and poor quality. Most people don't even use them unless they get really sick. They toss you some freebies to make it sound like you're getting a good deal. You aren't.

9. Purple Promise/PSP/ Bravo Zulu etc: All garbage and meaningless. You can get a BZ on Friday and be fired Monday for something minor or imagined. These are all "rah-rah" and "go team" BS that are absolutely useless except for getting more performance out of the simple-minded employees who love this kind of crap.

10. WAD: "Work As Directed". If you like working for FedEx (some do), WAD is your friend. Never do more than you have to, because the reward for hard work at FedEx is more work and no extra pay. No matter how stupid it seems, if it is a policy or a management order, just do it, and then say you were working as directed when it turns to crap.

There is much more, but know that my goal is to prevent you from making the same mistakes I did and making Express a career. If you are young enough, get out, find a trade or go back to school. If you enjoy this kind of work, leave and pay your dues at UPS. I'd also advise getting a Class A CDL.

I'm not lying.
Wow, you're pretty much right on with this. I got injured my 2nd week on the road and really thought about not saying anything but I broke my ankle lol. After that anything and everything I did was punished and my time there was all but over only it took me a while to realize it. I enjoyed the job and being on the road but I really felt targeted after my injury. Sucks but life goes on.

MAKAVELI

Wow, you're pretty much right on with this. I got injured my 2nd week on the road and really thought about not saying anything but I broke my ankle lol. After that anything and everything I did was punished and my time there was all but over only it took me a while to realize it. I enjoyed the job and being on the road but I really felt targeted after my injury. Sucks but life goes on.
If you are not fully healed, do yourself a favor and get a WC attorney. It will be well worth it to get at least a settlement and gtfo of this cesspool of a company.;)

Work overtime the week before Thanksgiving. It will take you over 30 years, to get that Friday off. If you plan on spending any enjoyable time with your family on Thanksgiving, be prepared to call off sick. You won't paid for the holiday, but you will get paid for the sick day (Friday). The overtime you worked the week before, will help with the bills that week.

Oh, why did I post this? I've been doing it for the last four years. Called out Christmas Eve a few years back. Bah Hum Bug.
I AM GLAD THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS A SICK CALL POLICY. BASICALLY THAT LAW STATES THAT ANYBODY WHO USES THEIR CALIFORNIA SICK HOURS, THE COMPANY CANNOT RETALIATE AGAINST YOU. WHICH MEANS IF YOU CALL IN SICK THE DAY BEFORE OR DAY AFTER THE HOLIDAY, THEY STILL HAVE TO PAY YOU.