The Myth of the FedEx "Family"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our station used to promote the Station Picnic every year at a local park. I used to bring my reluctant wife along to show support for management that HAD to be there. My attendance was optional, theirs was not.
My wife asked me "why do you feel like you need to go to these things"? I told her because if nobody cared and nobody went to support management it would mean that complete Apathy had final come to the station. Every picnic we went to the attendance got lower and lower.
The last picnic only about 5 employees out of 70 showed up. All the managers were there as required along with cheap Costco burgers, generic brand hotdogs and absolute cheap junk food. They all stood around staring at each other. The fat, sweaty manager suffered over the grill cooking for phantoms. One employee showed up with a home cooked meal to add in but when he saw the attendance he threw it in the trash and left. I felt sad and embarrassed when I saw him do this. It was the LAST company event I attended. Any feeling of family and camaraderie has been bled out of the company I used to know. Management used to be involved with couriers when I started 20 years ago. It was not as much of US vs. Them as it is now. You are only as good as your last delivery in my station.
Everybody in the region knows that this station is the Armpit of FedEx!

Yep. This description fits so many "celebrations" and events at FedEx exactly. Recently, our station won some award and we were promised a "first class event" to recognize our efforts. Guess what? Same Costco crap and a couple of managers halfheartedly working the grill. Most people refused the food because the whole thing was insulting. I'd imagine most stations operate the same way.

Hot dogs motivate elementary school students...and a few stupid adults.

FedEx2000

Our station used to promote the Station Picnic every year at a local park. I used to bring my reluctant wife along to show support for management that HAD to be there. My attendance was optional, theirs was not.
My wife asked me "why do you feel like you need to go to these things"? I told her because if nobody cared and nobody went to support management it would mean that complete Apathy had final come to the station. Every picnic we went to the attendance got lower and lower.
The last picnic only about 5 employees out of 70 showed up. All the managers were there as required along with cheap Costco burgers, generic brand hotdogs and absolute cheap junk food. They all stood around staring at each other. The fat, sweaty manager suffered over the grill cooking for phantoms. One employee showed up with a home cooked meal to add in but when he saw the attendance he threw it in the trash and left. I felt sad and embarrassed when I saw him do this. It was the LAST company event I attended. Any feeling of family and camaraderie has been bled out of the company I used to know. Management used to be involved with couriers when I started 20 years ago. It was not as much of US vs. Them as it is now. You are only as good as your last delivery in my station.
Everybody in the region knows that this station is the Armpit of FedEx!

So your definition of "Family" is expensive catered company events that everyone shows up to just to get a good meal? It has nothing to do with the food or whether management is required to be there. The family part should be portrayed by the people that work side by side everyday and and care about each other, hourly and management both. That is on you/me and your/my co-workers, nothing management/FedEx does should affect how you personally feel about the people you work with. It's not about supporting management either, you don't even have to like them.....but it does make it easier to go to work if you can manage to have a functional relationship with them. Have a picnic w/o management and see how many people show up.......my guess is that it wouldn't be much different. Sorry your station sucks....JCATS!!! An option UPS doesn't have.

BTW, I've never been required to attend any event outside of work for FedEx, including management "retreats" that are essentially meetings somewhere besides the district office.

vantexan

Remember the epaulets we wore on our shirts? A newhire learned real quick who the experienced couriers were. Those guys wore them with pride. I remember how disappointed I was that they were discontinued shortly before I was to get my 10 year shoulder boards. Y'all can say whatever you want, but we've known nothing but takeaways for many years now. You aren't going to have an enthusiastic workforce that shows up for extracurricular activities when people are having to struggle due to the job. If there's one thing to look forward to it's that eventually the older topped out guys who think everything is just peachy will be gone. Then maybe most will pull together to stand up for themselves. Too late for me by then unfortunately.

snackdad

I do remember the epaulets! I also remember the safe driving award pins every year and the big deal that was made on the belt in the morning. Our airbills used to have carbon paper in them and we used to get that stuff all over our fingers and face on fast and furious days. We all went out of our way then to help each other because we could and we cared about each other. No time for that now. Oh... and all those safety pins, they were 10K gold, I sold them all for scrap for a few hundred dollars. The watches and other crap I give to the homeless near where I live!
I was one of those older topped out guys and things were never peachy, just fishy! Haaaaaaa!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So your definition of "Family" is expensive catered company events that everyone shows up to just to get a good meal? It has nothing to do with the food or whether management is required to be there. The family part should be portrayed by the people that work side by side everyday and and care about each other, hourly and management both. That is on you/me and your/my co-workers, nothing management/FedEx does should affect how you personally feel about the people you work with. It's not about supporting management either, you don't even have to like them.....but it does make it easier to go to work if you can manage to have a functional relationship with them. Have a picnic w/o management and see how many people show up.......my guess is that it wouldn't be much different. Sorry your station sucks....JCATS!!! An option UPS doesn't have.

BTW, I've never been required to attend any event outside of work for FedEx, including management "retreats" that are essentially meetings somewhere besides the district office.

OK, so you're never told to attend charitable events like all the other managers? Do you have a special exemption? Every manager I know is absolutely required to perform public service to show "FedEx Cares".

FedEx2000

OK, so you're never told to attend charitable events like all the other managers? Do you have a special exemption? Every manager I know is absolutely required to perform public service to show "FedEx Cares".

No, I am not. As I said, I have NEVER been forced/told to attend any event outside of work. I have gone to some b/c I wanted to or felt it was the right thing to do, but never forced.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, I am not. As I said, I have NEVER been forced/told to attend any event outside of work. I have gone to some b/c I wanted to or felt it was the right thing to do, but never forced.

Interesting. Every manager I know in my district has to attend several events per year, including feeding the homeless at a soup kitchen during the holidays. This is more or less a gun at your head kind of deal with our MD. I suppose one could refuse at the peril of your future career prospects. A few years back, I used to date an ops manager and she was very directly told to attend.

FedEx2000

Interesting. Every manager I know in my district has to attend several events per year, including feeding the homeless at a soup kitchen during the holidays. This is more or less a gun at your head kind of deal with our MD. I suppose one could refuse at the peril of your future career prospects. A few years back, I used to date an ops manager and she was very directly told to attend.

Well I guess that explains a lot of your feelings toward FedEx management.

FedEx2000

I think he was saying that my dating a manager had poisoned my attitude. Not so.

Actually, it was just a joke implying that. I would hope one experience with a certain individual, whether good or bad, wouldn't be the basis for your feelings towards all mgrs/FedEx in general.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually, it was just a joke implying that. I would hope one experience with a certain individual, whether good or bad, wouldn't be the basis for your feelings towards all mgrs/FedEx in general.

Never. There are some terrific people that work at FedEx, and some of them are managers. Unfortunately, asshats are predominant, especially as you rise up the food chain.

proudtobefedex

That wasn't my point. I agree with you that we are not likely to see FedEx on that show. However, my point was that on the show, executives show favoritism towards the employees they work with. I'm just curious how that doesn't open them up to discrimination lawsuits. Building on that thought, that's why I think FedEx doesn't just give people money to help with a house fire etc. As I said, there is a fund for it but I'm not sure what you have to do to get the money. I'm sure something has to be filled out and approved.

I do care about other employees and I see people working hard. I also see people who are topped out and should be kicked out. It's too bad that it's so hard to get fired from FedEx based on performance. Also, I don't kid myself into believing that being a courier is anything more than an entry level position that only requires a GED or high school diploma. I'm quite happy driving around all day and moving boxes. Never in my career has anyone at FedEx suggested that being a courier is a career and I don't look at it that way. I don't expect to get paid an executive's salary for doing an entry level job.

proudtobefedex

I am very happy to announce that yes, we, FedEx will be on Undercover Boss. Watch for it in April!!!! I worked for UPS for 6 years and I can't imagine UPS ever doing that show. We were so mistreated, and those I know that still work there are. They will make public statements for reporters to show changes in a positive light, but we all know they aren't true.
I'm so proud that at FedEx, I can be myself, be respected and use full disclosure about how I feel about the way we do things and have input on our future.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am very happy to announce that yes, we, FedEx will be on Undercover Boss. Watch for it in April!!!! I worked for UPS for 6 years and I can't imagine UPS ever doing that show. We were so mistreated, and those I know that still work there are. They will make public statements for reporters to show changes in a positive light, but we all know they aren't true.
I'm so proud that at FedEx, I can be myself, be respected and use full disclosure about how I feel about the way we do things and have input on our future.

Wow. Did you just drink a gallon of Kool-Aid and snort a line of cocaine? If you believe any of what you just wrote, may I suggest a serious reality check. Oh, and what other company is famous for "making public statements for reporters to show changes in a positive light"? That would be FedEx my friend, where pandas are more important than people and PR lies are the name of the game.

Oh, and if you use "full disclosure" about the way you feel at FedEx, you'll have a very short career. My guess is that you just started working at FedEx and don't know any better. I hope you are a fast learner.

Last edited:

whenIgetthere

When will the brainless wonders in Memphisland realize that the fedex family has nothing to do with them, or any level of management. The fedex family is the frontline employees who are there when their fellow employees need help, that is the fedex family I know. I have had a couple of family tragedies while employed by fedex, and it was always my fellow frontline employees (couriers/handlers etc) who helped me get thru those times, or had comforting words for me. It was never the brainless stooges at any level of management at fedex!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When will the brainless wonders in Memphisland realize that the fedex family has nothing to do with them, or any level of management. The fedex family is the frontline employees who are there when their fellow employees need help, that is the fedex family I know. I have had a couple of family tragedies while employed by fedex, and it was always my fellow frontline employees (couriers/handlers etc) who helped me get thru those times, or had comforting words for me. It was never the brainless stooges at any level of management at fedex!

This is so true. Whenever someone at FedEx Express gets seriously ill or something else bad happens, the company does virtually nothing. If someone close dies, you get your 3 days of bereavement and a meaningless card. Fellow employees send their own cards, show-up at memorial services, and send food or whatever else needs to be done.

FedEx wants you back at work ASAP, so unless you've got an understanding manager, you have to take care of your grief or personal affairs in those 3 days. Maybe they will let you take vacation if you have it or LWOP if you don't, but there aren't any guarantees. I've had a couple managers over the years who just said "come back when you're ready", which meant a lot. I've also had some that said "3 days" or "it's no-call/no-show". These are the folks on whom you always plot revenge, and it always feels good when you get them back...hard.