The new package cars

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by chris9834, Jul 15, 2015.

1. chris9834

chris9834 Member

Whats everyones thoughts on the latest fleet of natural gas cars, with the new design bulkhead door weight system or at least thats what the mechanics told me its called? I absolutely hate them I would rather use the key atleast I know the door will open every single time im so tired of having to hit the dash several times and wiggle the door to get the solenoid to raise the latch so I can open the door, sometimes I have to hit the fob button. They should have left the pogo stick spring design whatever its called lol. They need to get there money back and get the old design back.

2. Mechanic86

Mechanic86 Repairing the crap you break.

From a mechanic's perspective they are junk.

3. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

No, they need to return to a key and a lock, that worked great for 90 years.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The automatic door opener, when it works, does save time.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mdnj88

mdnj88 Active Member

Whatever automatic door opener we have, still beats having a set of keys!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I agree. It is also the only thing UPS has done that has benefited the driver. I'm also starting to like Orion also. Can't believe it. But, it is making my stop count drop each week. They are going out of their way to keep me from staying out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. Fragile

Fragile Active Member

I don't get it. The new trucks keeping getting narrower and the packages keep getting better. Guy next to me has a new p1000 and couldn't fit a pottery barn package into his load. None of his bulk gets loaded under the shelves everything is slammed in the middle.

So what if they can fit more cars in the building. They can't fit any packages. They're also stiff to drive and the step isn't that low.

8. They tried giving me a new package car . I made give me my old one back. I have a ton of narrow streets and have to make many extra backs because I couldn't make the bends.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. 3 done 3 to go

I too have been offered a new truck. But, I will keep my 2001 international. All I need is 20 ft to make a turn around

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Same here. Plus too many blind spots. I hate the mirrors too.

11. chris9834

chris9834 Member

Lol right.

12. chris9834

chris9834 Member

That and I will find hardware on the floor that wasnt adequately tightened that came frone God know where. I guess the boys on the assembly line got in a rush or something.

13. chris9834

chris9834 Member

Yea I talked to a couple of the mechanics and they were pretty fed up with them in my building lol.

14. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

"Just gimme 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around..."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lol I find bolts rolling around all of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. 1BROWNWRENCH

The older spring and lock system needs a lot of fiddling and setup to work well. The newer weight system is one I haven't had to monkey with too much yet. Have had pulleys mysteriously come off. Do all yourselves a favor and don't slam the door.

17. 1BROWNWRENCH

new cars have them laying all over.

18. 1BROWNWRENCH

Our "system" for the first time in history actually let me know of a new one's arrival in advance recently. ONE freaky nothingincommonwithanyothercar Ford P80. WTF? Fleet consolidation?

19. 3 done 3 to go

Come on! Drive it like you stole it '-)

20. 1BROWNWRENCH

The latest Freightliners seem to be having endless campaigns coming along for them. The latest one in to replace the relays for the fuel pump and starter with a retrofit harness to upgrade to a much bigger one. They should have included the heater blower on this one. It burns up too. Such a huge vehicle and they choose to use relays the size of a piece of bubble gum. SMH.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List