The New Reality

brownboxman

One of the drivers at our center descibed what we are going through as "The New Reality". So here it is....

1 Telematics
2 More forced overtime
3 Oversupervision
4 No respect of hourly
5 More harrassment
6 More of we screwed your dispatch you fix it, and be under-allowed

Add your thoughts here......

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...Add your thoughts here......
I think your buddy is a little behind the times or maybe you guys haven't had telematics as long as some of us others. Anyway, IMHO, the "New Reality" is that UPS is now focused on getting rid of as many of us "overpaid" drivers as possible so that they can hire new drivers at a reduced rate or temporary drivers until the new contract in 2013. At that time, it is rumored, that all new hires will be hired at a lower rate and will have a cap on their top rate if they can ever make it to full progression.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I think your buddy is a little behind the times or maybe you guys haven't had telematics as long as some of us others. Anyway, IMHO, the "New Reality" is that UPS is now focused on getting rid of as many of us "overpaid" drivers as possible so that they can hire new drivers at a reduced rate or temporary drivers until the new contract in 2013. At that time, it is rumored, that all new hires will be hired at a lower rate and will have a cap on their top rate if they can ever make it to full progression.

If we give UPS a 2 tier pay rate in 2013 we are basically telling them to fire us.
If all you UPS has to do to save money is fire the older drivers you can beat dollars to donuts they will.

If we agree to it we are asking for it, dont be fooled by lower pay rates for the newer guys, it is your job they will cut and replace with a new hire.

themidnightoil

my "planned day" is however long it takes me to get it done safely, not what their little piece of paper says. I get rewarded every Friday for my efforts.

I wonder how badly or management team gets drilled by their bosses. Crap flows downhill.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
your analogy makes no sense, remember we are at a 2 year progression . You are saying that after 2 yrs we will all be fired so a rookie and lost bunch will replace high seniority drivers?? sell your stock because ups would go under quick. remember when you started driving? who did you ask about the massively intricate variables that dictate how to do a route efficiently??

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
your analogy makes no sense, remember we are at a 2 year progression . You are saying that after 2 yrs we will all be fired so a rookie and lost bunch will replace high seniority drivers?? sell your stock because ups would go under quick. remember when you started driving? who did you ask about the massively intricate variables that dictate how to do a route efficiently??

Noyou missed the point. If in 2013 we give UPS a new top pay rate say 25 bucks an hour to the 30 we have now, plus lower benifits for new hires what do you think UPS will do?

Based on what I have seen the last few years they will start looking to fire you for any reason they can find, and then replace you with a person that will never get to a pay rate you are at now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "massively intricate variables" have been reduced or eliminated due to PAS/EDD.

The reality you describe is not the reality in my center. I would bet that it is not the reality in other smaller centers. 9.5 is strictly enforced, we don't have Telematics yet, we are not overly supervised, harassment is at a minimum and we are respected for our efforts.

I do think that we will see a two-tiered wage structure introduced for discussion by the company during contract negotiations. It would be naive to think that this would not put a target on older drivers. I also think the company will introduce more defined language on production and discipline based upon technology.

dcdriver

nations capital
One of the drivers at our center descibed what we are going through as "The New Reality". So here it is....

1 Telematics
2 More forced overtime
3 Oversupervision
4 No respect of hourly
5 More harrassment
6 More of we screwed your dispatch you fix it, and be under-allowed

Add your thoughts here......

If dont like it quit. 25 YEARS STRONG I run circles around all the new breed of Drivers.
1 Telematics love it have no problem with just do your job.
2 overtime and bonus love it.
3 oversupervision not a problem if you do your job.
4 It takes respect to get respect.
5 harrassment not if you do your job.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
If dont like it quit. 25 YEARS STRONG I run circles around all the new breed of Drivers.

Exactly.

Just do your job.

idrivethetruck

The reality you describe is not the reality in my center. I would bet that it is not the reality in other smaller centers. 9.5 is strictly enforced, we don't have Telematics yet, we are not overly supervised, harassment is at a minimum and we are respected for our efforts.
If that's the case, then you are in for a rude awakening once you do get telematics. Enjoy your job while you still can, because once the "New Reality" hits your center, it's all downhill from that point. I envy you, my friend, I haven't seen 9.5 in over 2 months.

dcdriver

nations capital
Telematics=keep your seat belt on while driving and bulk head door closed. Dont sheet pkgs while moving or close out pickups. Whats the problem?

idrivethetruck

If it were only telematics, then there would not be a problem. I have never once shown up on one of the "violation" reports for seatbelt, backing, bulkhead door, idling, etc. But once telematics was implemented in our building, then came the over-supervision, increased workloads and harassment.

porkwagon

Right! Just do your job and you will never ever be harassed by your supervisor.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Here, we have a 3 year progression.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have seen my share of drivers get fired. None of them got fired for doing their jobs. Like the man said, just do your job and you'll be fine.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The "massively intricate variables" have been reduced or eliminated due to PAS/EDD.

Come on down to Watertown, Upstate. You would be unhappy with the change. It just hit me today that you have someone there who might have a little insight into what I "whine" about. A woman at your center has a daughter named Jamie. She was chased, chased up and down the belt by Psycho Susie. She quit after that. Her mother had a good 20 some years at this point, about 5 years ago.

Have had PAS/EDD since 2004. I started in june 2003. Came out of feeder to DA in 2004.

DS

Fenderbender
This thread has more truth to it that a lot of you are not seeing.Your "just do the job" comments, could change drastically if your sup was replaced with someone who has the ability to make your life absolutely miserable.I know a few good drivers that were inconvenienced to the tune of 2 to 6 months out of service because certain center manager's simply wanted them gone.
If you found yourself in a similar situation,these log books could save you,way before it came to termination.
We are only human,when you deliver 50,000 pkgs a year,you are bound to miss a scan,or have a late air.
Your day may come when that one mistake you make is the red card that puts you out of the game.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I don't see any efforts to eliminate higher paid workers. There is no benefit to the local management. Their plan is based upon the wage rates and panned increases. Eliminating higher paid workers to replace them with lowered paid workers causes the plan to lowered. In other words, all they get is a newer inexperienced worker. They are not dealing in real dollars. Its planned vs actual elements.

There is no good reason to target good employees. To be targeted, you likely have to be amongst the bottom in the entire center. Even then, they would rather you just do what they want rather than have to hire and train a new employee.

idrivethetruck

..There is no good reason to target good employees. To be targeted, you likely have to be amongst the bottom in the entire center. Even then, they would rather you just do what they want rather than have to hire and train a new employee.
Since when has UPS needed a "good reason" to do anything they do? The bottom line anymore is COST. If it costs more to work a seasoned driver, then that's all the "reason" UPS needs.

brownboxman

Interesting, you are assuming I dont do my job. I have been a bonus driver for 23 years, I do my job damn well every day. It hasn't hit me yet but it has others with the same work ethic I have. So yours and other comments of"Do your job" smack of some sort of elitism. I will qualify that IN OUR DISTRICT there has been this kind of abuse. My thread was not to degrade others as your comment was, mine was an observation of local events. Sorry only for not being more clear.