The number one reason we need UNIONS!!!

packageguy

If you haven't noticed there is a definate decline in the middle class over the last decade. There is also a decline in Union membership over that same time period. We all need to stand together and educate those that we can about the benefits of Union membership and the lifestyle it enables us to enjoy!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...yed-middle-class-marketwatch?mod=bb-budgeting

I am with you 100%, you know damn well we would not be making the money we are making without a union. pension, and benefits, 401k. I thank GOD every day. These new guys don't care, I see it every day in the office, When I represent them, they have this cooky attitude. There cure all is let them fire me I will collect unemployment. That's a very bad attitude to have.

I always say somebody left me a job, I would want to leave somebody else a job.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
union-funeral.jpg

If you haven't noticed there is a definate decline in the middle class over the last decade. There is also a decline in Union membership over that same time period. We all need to stand together and educate those that we can about the benefits of Union membership and the lifestyle it enables us to enjoy!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...yed-middle-class-marketwatch?mod=bb-budgeting

I am with you 100%, you know damn well we would not be making the money we are making without a union. pension, and benefits, 401k. I thank GOD every day. These new guys don't care, I see it every day in the office, When I represent them, they have this cooky attitude. There cure all is let them fire me I will collect unemployment. That's a very bad attitude to have.

I always say somebody left me a job, I would want to leave somebody else a job.

Did either one of y'all actually read this article?

Please explain to me how more unions are going to fix/repair the Housing Bubble Burst.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Did either one of y'all actually read this article?

Please explain to me how more unions are going to fix/repair the Housing Bubble Burst.

Nothing is going to six the housing bubble at this point, the real problem, and the reason the economy is not rebounding is the decline of the middle class. WHICH IS WHY MORE UNION MEMBERSHIP IS NEEDED!!! No one can deny, the stronger the unions, the stronger the middle class, the stronger the economy. The reason for less cash flow is due to less middle class. Unite and be heard as a strong unit and we could get things done to help OUR COUNTRY. does anyone really believe it is good for our economy to make it so easy for companies to export good manufacturing jobs to other countries? How does that do the USA any good? If you want economic recovery, you need more jobs here. More good paying UNION JOBS!!

Nothing is going to six the housing bubble at this point, the real problem, and the reason the economy is not rebounding is the decline of the middle class. WHICH IS WHY MORE UNION MEMBERSHIP IS NEEDED!!! No one can deny, the stronger the unions, the stronger the middle class, the stronger the economy. The reason for less cash flow is due to less middle class. Unite and be heard as a strong unit and we could get things done to help OUR COUNTRY. does anyone really believe it is good for our economy to make it so easy for companies to export good manufacturing jobs to other countries? How does that do the USA any good? If you want economic recovery, you need more jobs here. More good paying UNION JOBS!!

I agree that we need more jobs right here, in America, that's a no brainer. I don't see how a stronger union can make that happen. Now that you have spoken the union cheers of solidarity etc (no disrespect to you meant), please address HOW the unions can make this happen.

I can remember when these traditionally American companies began "outsourcing" jobs to other countries one of the reasons they always stated was the higher wages that the unions insisted on thus lowering the profits of the company. I'm sure there were other reasons also, but that was usually their biggest claim. What good does it do a union when wages gets too high to allow a company to make the profits they need to stay in business. A closed business or one moved to India provides no jobs here.

The domino effect of the housing bubble burst caused the loss of many middle class jobs all across the employment spectrum, strong unions could not have kept that from happening. People stopped buying new houses, contractors were going bankrupt, their sub-contractors and the perspective workers were loosing their jobs because there was no work to do. Unions could not have saved that.

IMO, one of the biggest factors in the decline of the middle class in that too many middle class people don't have enough common sense to know they can't afford to buy a half million dollar house, own a boat, jet skis, a vacation home in the mountains and a new car every two years. We, the middle class, have to realize we can not live like the rich and famous.

So again, exactly HOW, in what manner, can strong unions save the middle class?

moreluck

golden ticket member
The 4th paragraph of your answer, beginning with "IMO".....speaks volumes, and is the one big cause of the housing crisis.......people can say they blame banks, but the person purchasing a house, car, whatever, has to know if they can actually afford it. If they are too stupid to know they can't afford something and go ahead and get it anyway, they deserve the consequences.

raceanoncr

The 4th paragraph of your answer, beginning with "IMO".....speaks volumes, and is the one big cause of the housing crisis.......people can say they blame banks, but the person purchasing a house, car, whatever, has to know if they can actually afford it. If they are too stupid to know they can't afford something and go ahead and get it anyway, they deserve the consequences.

More, interesting you should say this, especially the last sentence. I totally agree. I, personally, do not purchase anything I can't pay cash for. Ain't had credit cards for yrs. NOW...

My wife works at a local funeral home. Secretary. The number of families that order full-blown services for their departed is astounding! Usually, always five figures. THEN, they vanish! If there is little or no insurance to cover, which the funeral home will attach, they just don't pay! I find this absolutely incredible! They know full well they are ordering something that they will never be able to pay but go and do it anyway! I could also go on about the family squabbles that ensue but I would take this whole thread.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We've discussed the funeral thing........hello ! You're dead!! If all I ever wear in life is jeans and a camp shirt-type blouse...what makes anyone think I would want "fancy" when I'm not even there? I would look horrible in pleated silky stuff.

Cheap box, creamated and maybe scatter my ashes on the 3rd hole sandtrap when no one's looking.......at least my hubby would visit me almost everyday!

We actually have 2 niches at a Newport coast place that our neighbor gave to us. He had pre-planned everything for his parents and then ended up moving to TX. and was stuck with these niches and he just gave them to us. He said that all he wanted was if we sold them to send him half......or we could just have them to use.

We have always made a Pro/Con sheet for deciding big purchases. Shoot, that's how we got married in Sept, instead of Dec. I showed him on paper that we could afford it and didn't have to wait. We've been doing the pro/con sheet for almost 44 years and it works.

We need to transfer this kind of thinking to our gov't.

More, interesting you should say this, especially the last sentence. I totally agree. I, personally, do not purchase anything I can't pay cash for. Ain't had credit cards for yrs. NOW...

My wife works at a local funeral home. Secretary. The number of families that order full-blown services for their departed is astounding! Usually, always five figures. THEN, they vanish! If there is little or no insurance to cover, which the funeral home will attach, they just don't pay! I find this absolutely incredible! They know full well they are ordering something that they will never be able to pay but go and do it anyway! I could also go on about the family squabbles that ensue but I would take this whole thread.

Here, all the funeral homes (as far as I know) will take the valid insurance policies and deduct them from the cost of the funeral total, the balance, if there is one, is due immediately or the operators won't go forward. I have heard of more than one funeral that was postponed for a week or two due to non payment. I don't think they (the funeral home) gets "stiffed" too often.
My Mom did a preplanned thing that locked in the cost of the complete arrangements and paid it out like an insurance policy.The only thing that had to be paid after her death was the opening and closing of the plot. Now that is what I call personal responsibility.

raceanoncr

Here, all the funeral homes (as far as I know) will take the valid insurance policies and deduct them from the cost of the funeral total, the balance, if there is one, is due immediately or the operators won't go forward. I have heard of more than one funeral that was postponed for a week or two due to non payment. I don't think they (the funeral home) gets "stiffed" too often.
My Mom did a preplanned thing that locked in the cost of the complete arrangements and paid it out like an insurance policy.The only thing that had to be paid after her death was the opening and closing of the plot. Now that is what I call personal responsibility.

Well, that proposal sounds good and if the homes in your area can pull it off, that's great. That's the way economics should go. Here, if you demand upfront payment, they go home shopping. Fine. All they've done is find a different one they can stiff.

Here, it takes forever and I mean FOREVER, to get insurance payment from any company. And, yes, the home does demand payment of the balance after insurance is paid. If they, here, would not go forward until full payment, after insurance, is made, the small "cooler" would be overflowing. It, sad to say, just wouldn't happen here.

Yes, my wife and I have also done the, what they call "Pre-need", where all arrangements are made before hand and paid for. I think it's only fair for the survivors. Tried to talk my mom into that and she would have no part of it. And what a hurry-up hassle when she did die.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Washington Times)
In the past decade, unions have become increasingly desperate to obtain new dues-paying members. An example of how desperate can be found in a 70-plus-page intimidation manual from the Service Employees International Union(SEIU), which only recently came to light in a pending court case.The new union tactic is to use pressure on corporate boardrooms as a means of organizing entire companies nationwide rather than recruiting workers on a site-by-site basis; in short, to organize employers rather than employees. To create this pressure, unions attempt to push businesses to the edge of bankruptcy, with little regard for the welfare of employer and employee. They attempt to strong-arm businesses into agreeing to take away the secret ballot for employees in union-organizing elections via card check.
They also try to force employers to restrict their own speech on union issues so that workers will not get both sides of the story on unionization. Among the SEIU’s demands is that employers agree to bargain only with it, to the exclusion of all other unions, regardless of what workers want.
SEIU is in federal court defending itself against charges of racketeering and extortion filed by one of its unionizing targets, the catering company Sodexo Inc.Sodexo’s court discovery recently revealed an SEIU “Contract Campaign Manual” on “Pressuring the Employer.”

SEIU’s manual details how “outside pressure can involve jeopardizing relationships between the employer and lenders, investors, stockholders, customers, clients, patients, tenants, politicians, or others on whom the employer depends for funds.” The union advises using legal and regulatory pressure to “threaten the employer with costly action by government agencies or the courts.”
It details the use of community groups to “damage an employer’s public image and ties with community leaders and organizations.” SEIU recommends going after company officials personally.
Not mincing words, SEIU states, “It may be a violation of blackmail and extortion laws to threaten management officials with release of ‘dirt’ about them if they don’t settle a contract. But there is no law against union members who are angry at their employer deciding to uncover and publicize fatual information about individual managers.”

bbsam

Staff member
Ok. Now I'm confused. I am far from being a MFE fan here, but whenever he brought up the subject of unionizing Fedex, a the general concensus was, "You're on your own, UPS wannabe." So does the union hold any responsibility for it's decline? And if union membership is going to increase, is it up to Fedex employees and others to come begging for help? I get the feeling that the union rank and file has little desire to do much more than complain about the unions decline.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
To judge the union's movement decline one only has to look at said union's leadership.
Is the leadership more concerned with enforcing an existing contract or do they bow to the company's wishes ?
Do they think that the union members work for them , or not ?
Are they more concerned with hosting charity events then handling workers grievances ?
Are workers grievances handled promply ?