The numbers game has gotten worse

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It this trend continues and we end up having to drive 100mph and skip our lunches, after being locked in at some unatainable sporh then I am on the verge of leaving the union. If I am going to have to resort to running and working off the clock like a scab, just to keep my job, and the union that I pay the friendG dues to for the last 18 years just sits by and does nothing, then screw them too! ....

A couple of questions....

Do you attend union meetings? Do you discuss your concerns with your shop steward or Business Agent? If you arent happy with the representation that you are paying for, would you be willing to step up to the plate and become a shop steward yourself? And do you truly feel that the harassment you are experiencing from the company would somehow go away if you quit the union entirely?

A lot of people seem to view "the union" as some entity that, when summoned, should step in, wave a magic wand, and immediately resolve all issues to the member's complete satisfaction...all for the low, low price of only $75 a month. These people dont want to take the time to get involved themselves, they dont want to educate themselves about the contract or the grievance procedure, and they wont be troubled to vote for officers or business agents. All they want to do... is complain about the outcome of a process that they chose not to participate in.

I'm not saying you are one of these people. I'm just wondering how willing you are to be part of the solution instead of the problem.

trickpony1

sober-
I would go into a spiel about how I live in a city of +/- one million people and I pay taxes to support the infrastructure but I'm sure I would confuse some people..........

Anyway, part of my taxes go to pay police salaries/wages. Do I have to go to the Police department once a month and shake hands, drink coffee and rub shoulders with the officers? Don't think so. I depend on them to do their job of protecting me/us from the criminals.

I hope you are seeing my analogy.

IMHO, the union is worthless. We had a union steward resign his steward position because of an outrageous panel decision that was clearly contrary to the written contract language.

Some people wonder if this guy named Hoffa will have more money than he could ever spend and couldn't care less if he gets re-elected.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

SWORDFISH

People your killing yourself if you work through your rest times. They may harass you but they cant fire you. File article 37 10 million times if you have to. If they ride w/ you do the job and dont let them help you at all, dont move faster, and just do the job the same way everyday no matter what. If they ride w/ you alot then file more article 37s for oversupervising. They cannot punish you for technology but only proven dishonesty. People need to start out thinking UPS. They play alot of games. DO YOUR METHODS!

I do think its funny that people are throwing out all these #s on whos working hard and whos not and so on. How in the world can anyone speak on such things other than in their own center. Heck in my center I can run my route hard and miss it by 30min. but if I run the route next to me at that same pace I beat it by 30min. While in another center maybe most routes bonus and in another center they may be bonus mixed w/ 2hr over. I truly believe that in my center none of the drivers fall into the slacker category. I also know that 70% of them dont take their breaks and work off the clock. Im hoping the 70% develope their spines some time in the future but I dont know how to get people to understand that if you stand up for yourself it actually works. If your in the right they have to take work off you and you dont have to kill yourself for your whole career to get done w/ the day.

Who said 10 day suspension? Thiers no such thing. The other thing people forget is that there is a difference between the punishment that UPS gives you and what you actually do. I can personally attest to this for myself and many others. I have been encouraging a part timer because he has 2 fireds and 1 suspension right now and they will probably be reduced to warnings. My current center manager loves to fire people to make them afraid. Even the management team gets threatend. Yet only 1 person has been fired and it wasnt even by him. He loses every time. ANYONE THAT WORKS AT UPS SHOULD HAVE A JOURNAL OF EACH DAYS ACTIVITY AND THE HARASSMENT AND SUCH THAT YOU GO THROUGH.

As for the people that has not been through any kind of harassment or are not in a hostile center, you should really keep your comments to yourself if they are negative. You really have no idea until you have lived in it. UPS only uses harassment because they are dumb, its easy and it works.

Our grandfathers/fathers fought blood, swet, and teas for the union and we got to comfortable just enjoying it. The workforce needs to fight once again. Rob the CMs desk and get your jewels back its not to late. My center manager will never ever get mine.
:peaceful:

tae111

Like I said no running, no speeding. I had a route that did 125 to 130 miles per day. Did three lake communities with steep terrains. Plenty of OJS rides so the sups knew what they were up against. I did this route for 15 years. Luck had nothing to do with it. I had a manager that used to give me all kinds of grief for my numbers. I went on vacation and he did my route with one of the young runners for the whole week. Never heard another word about numbers from him after that.