The Official Calling Off Thread

over9five

Staff member
We all have our "things".

I would never book off to watch millionaires playing ball, but.... I have to go camping one particular long weekend every year, and I WILL book off for that!

It all comes down to your attendance. If your not a problem, and you have days available.... then BANG IN!!!

trickpony1

I don't know anything about "boy laws" or "man laws".
I do know the mutually agreed upon labor contract gives optional days to the employees to use.
The OP made a mistake requesting that day in writing. He should have just waited until the day arrived and called in and said, "I'm using an optional day today.".
Happens all the time.

diadlover

boy laws may be a better discription. When the boy grows up he will learn that he sometimes has to sacrifice watching the game to earn a living. When the boy grows up into a man he will learn that he has an obligation to live up to. When the boy was hired he told the employer he would be there every day not that he would be there if his team was not playing that day. Thats a committment the man lives up to and the boy runs away from. When the boy grows up and learns to live by real man-laws he will learn that the entire shift or center can not have off to watch "the game". When he grows up he will learn that screwing the customer might mean he may not have a game to play in some day.

Look at this way , those athletes you get all gooey over have there millionaire lives ahead of them. When they get off work they will never pay to watch you sling cardboard. In fact you'll be lucky if they thank you for overpaying for tickets to their game. Be a chump for those guys if you so feel inclined but don't ever confuse your actions with "man-laws"
Tie must be a Cubs fan.

Raw

Raw Member
I got denied option days about 50% of the time I " asked in advance " this year. The reasons being with vacations and people out on comp there wasn`t enough people to cover all routes. I asked about Jan. 8 and with 2 people already off on option I again got denied. I chalk this up to " thats busness " and will ask my wife to go to the bar early to save a good seat and wait for me to stroll in a bit late! Still considering asking for Jan. 9 off instead. The positives still far out weigh the negatives with this job so I won`t sweat the small stuff. Tie is right, these over-glorified athletes ( I call thugs ) some are so smittin` with couldn`t care about anything but how many millions they will " earn " each year, which with many is more than we can earn working a job in 100 years. Now to the game, even though I live in Florida, Go Buckeye`s !!

DS

Fenderbender
I love the hockey playoffs,but I`d never call in sick to catch a game.
They were offering leafs tickets for sales leads,no takers.The games start a 7:00pm,if you are lucky enough to punch out by 8:00pm and
go to the game,you might catch the last period.

satellitedriver

I'm a huge Cardinals fan, and I missed many great Cardinal moments over the years, Ozzie Smith's "Go Crazy Folks" home run, Jack Clark's homer to put the Cards in the 85 Series, the pennant winning game in 82, to name a few. But I always went to work because it was my job. No more, no less. I retired in September, and won't miss any more! But in my humble opinion, if you call in sick for the big game, you're a piece of crap.
I do not know about him being a piece of crap, but I agree with your post. Boys play games and "man law" men watch them do it. Working at my job, that I am paid to do, is far more important to me than a game. If he has days off due, then fine take them off. But, when he asks how many are going to call in to see the "Big Game" that tells me that his is just a boy.

satellitedriver

snort snort...

Your silly satellitedriver.

Yes I will call off January 8th. I was also off the last two weeks of peak if you care to comment about that also.
Why were you off? I hope it wasn't injury or personal tragedy in your family. I am not being smartass when I ask this. I have been called an ass, mean S.O.B. and uncaring.They would all apply given the circumstances they were delivered in, but no one has every called me silly. So, silly me says, act like a boy if that is the way you wish to be treated. I guess you are a male. If not, change boy to girl in my post.
By the way, it should be You are silly not Your silly.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Why were you off? I hope it wasn't injury or personal tragedy in your family. I am not being smartass when I ask this. I have been called an ass, mean S.O.B. and uncaring.They would all apply given the circumstances they were delivered in, but no one has every called me silly. So, silly me says, act like a boy if that is the way you wish to be treated. I guess you are a male. If not, change boy to girl in my post.
By the way, it should be You are silly not Your silly.

First of all, thanks for the spelling lesson Dr. Webster. Second, like another poster said, we have options days for a reason. I requested one and was denied, so sorry about their luck. Yes UPS helps pay my bills, but there are other things more important than work in my life. Being with friends and family are very important. I have watched every Ohio State game this year, and went to most of the home games. You only live once.

I was away from UPS over peak because I was pulling military duty. I am going to plan my two weeks from here on out during peak season that way I don't have to be in the forsaken building.

Also, don't try make me feel bad for a customer because I take a night off. Most nights I can come home early anyhow because of we are overstaffed, and with a pretty high seniority in my section, I come home early. I don't need UPS, UPS needs me.

Overpaid Union Thug

As long as you have Bruce Pearl for Vols basketball coach, you will never see them play in a NCAA championship BBall.

Like I said....I DO NOT watch basketball. It has become nothing but a show off sport full of cry babies. Cry babies that would settle for losing a game as long as they can still dunk on each and every player on the other team. Oh, and lets not forget the fist fights. REAL CLASSY.

satellitedriver

First of all, thanks for the spelling lesson Dr. Webster. Second, like another poster said, we have options days for a reason. I requested one and was denied, so sorry about their luck. Yes UPS helps pay my bills, but there are other things more important than work in my life. Being with friends and family are very important. I have watched every Ohio State game this year, and went to most of the home games. You only live once.

I was away from UPS over peak because I was pulling military duty. I am going to plan my two weeks from here on out during peak season that way I don't have to be in the forsaken building.

Also, don't try make me feel bad for a customer because I take a night off. Most nights I can come home early anyhow because of we are overstaffed, and with a pretty high seniority in my section, I come home early. I don't need UPS, UPS needs me.
Thank you for your military service. That means alot to me personally.
Don't take the spelling lesson personally, Cheryl called me on the same thing and I took it to heart.
If you don't need UPS, why are you there? Stay home an watch ESPN all day long and no customer will care.
Who said anything about you feeling bad for the customer?
UPS needs you?
I will leave you with a quote from Winston Churchill.
"The graveyard is full of indespensable men".

P.S. Overstaffed UPS facility. WOW. In my 21 years at UPS I have never heard that statement made.
Enjoy your game.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Thank you for your military service. That means alot to me personally.
Don't take the spelling lesson personally, Cheryl called me on the same thing and I took it to heart.
If you don't need UPS, why are you there? Stay home an watch ESPN all day long and no customer will care.
Who said anything about you feeling bad for the customer?
UPS needs you?
I will leave you with a quote from Winston Churchill.
"The graveyard is full of indespensable men".

P.S. Overstaffed UPS facility. WOW. In my 21 years at UPS I have never heard that statement made.
Enjoy your game.

That would be "and watch ESPN all day". Another poster had mentioned that I should be at work because the customer counts on me to be there and make service on their packages. I am at UPS because the same reason everyone else is there. The bennies are good and the pay is decent. I am coming up on 6 years and will not be leaving anytime soon. That said, if something better comes up, I am outta here. My dad works for UPS currently as a feeder driver. He likes his job, but he didn't really care for the route that got him there. Long days in those damn package cars.

Yes, where I work, we send home roughly 1-2 people per night. If they ask me to go, I gladly oblige and head out to my car. I am a dual income family and don't need anything but the bennies from the job. If I can come home everynight and spend time with my wife rather than working as slave labor, then that is what I will do.

GO BUCKEYES!

tieguy

Banned
That would be "and watch ESPN all day". Another poster had mentioned that I should be at work because the customer counts on me to be there and make service on their packages. I am at UPS because the same reason everyone else is there. The bennies are good and the pay is decent. I am coming up on 6 years and will not be leaving anytime soon. That said, if something better comes up, I am outta here.

Until then you have a committment to live up to. You didn't tell the HR guy you would fake a sickness everytime OSU played a game therefore you have an obligation to live up to. Put it another way. If payroll didn't pay you this week because they had a game to watch you would not be too happy. Perhaps they should do the same to you as to what you will do to the customer on january 8th.

My dad works for UPS currently as a feeder driver. He likes his job, but he didn't really care for the route that got him there. Long days in those damn package cars.

This point did not make sense. If your dad is a feeder driver then he has the easiest job out there and does not drive a package car.

Yes, where I work, we send home roughly 1-2 people per night. If they ask me to go, I gladly oblige and head out to my car. I am a dual income family and don't need anything but the bennies from the job. If I can come home everynight and spend time with my wife rather than working as slave labor, then that is what I will do.

and here's the point again. You took a job you consider slave labor. If you really feel that way then you should not have taken the job. Since you took it you have an obligation to play by the rules too. That means you apply for an optional holiday and you work if you are denied. That better job you mention may not be available if your current sup tells your potential future employer that you would call out and miss time whenever there was an OSU game on. Something to think about.

GO BUCKEYES!

screw the buckeyes. they never paid any of my bills and never will. They have no problems recruiting criminals with scholarships. They do not deserve my support.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joopster
That would be "and watch ESPN all day". Another poster had mentioned that I should be at work because the customer counts on me to be there and make service on their packages. I am at UPS because the same reason everyone else is there. The bennies are good and the pay is decent. I am coming up on 6 years and will not be leaving anytime soon. That said, if something better comes up, I am outta here.

Until then you have a committment to live up to. You didn't tell the HR guy you would fake a sickness everytime OSU played a game therefore you have an obligation to live up to. Put it another way. If payroll didn't pay you this week because they had a game to watch you would not be too happy. Perhaps they should do the same to you as to what you will do to the customer on january 8th.

No I didn't tell HR that, your right. In my 6 years, I have called off twice. Fine your right, you win.

I think this thread has gotten off track. The original post was more in jest than a serious FU to UPS. Some of you guys on here are a little too sensitive.

My dad works for UPS currently as a feeder driver. He likes his job, but he didn't really care for the route that got him there. Long days in those damn package cars.

This point did not make sense. If your dad is a feeder driver then he has the easiest job out there and does not drive a package car.

Yes the point does make sense. MY DAD IS A FEEDER DRIVER. HE LIKES HIS JOB. HE DID NOT LIKE DRIVING PACKAGE CAR FOR 20 YEARS TO GET HIS FEEDER JOB. Make sense?

and here's the point again. You took a job you consider slave labor. If you really feel that way then you should not have taken the job. Since you took it you have an obligation to play by the rules too. That means you apply for an optional holiday and you work if you are denied. That better job you mention may not be available if your current sup tells your potential future employer that you would call out and miss time whenever there was an OSU game on. Something to think about.

Yes, UPS is difficult at times. Again slave labor more of me joshing around rather than being serious. Your right, I will play by the rules. If they want to have a hearing and fire me over calling off one night when I legitimately requested an OP day for January the 8th, then I will be fine with that. You act like I am calling off sick everytime the buckeyes play. They usually play on SAT when I am off. The big game happens to be on a MON.

Also, I won't be faking an illness. I have been feeling kind of cruddy lately.

GO BUCKEYES!

screw the buckeyes. they never paid any of my bills and never will. They have no problems recruiting criminals with scholarships. They do not deserve my support.
Disgruntled Michigan Fan huh?

mrvngrdns

Isn't the National Championship game at night? Can't you put in an 8 hour request? Like I said, you can call in sick and there's nothing UPS can do about it, and obviously, you can live with yourself, so go for it. I'm a Big 10 fan, although Iowa sucked this year, so go Buckeyes! But if I have the route next to you, and I want to watch the game, and I get a split from your route because the cover driver doesn't have the route knowledge that you have, I'm not happy. Yeah, I could call in sick too, so could the whole center, that would really work. Times have changed at UPS, when I started, right out of the service, it was kind of a military mentality. Sometimes it wasn't pleasant, but gratifying when customers would always say, "UPS is the best". I didn't hear that much my last 10 years on the job. The work ethic isn't there anymore, and you can blame management, but I think that's a copout.

Overpaid Union Thug

I won't be calling in for this game because my team is not in the game but I might take the night off because we actually have too many people on my shift and I'm the senior guy so I can opt out that night. I would like to see Florida beat OSU. It is strange cheering for Florida as a Tennessee fan but I like to see the SEC represent in the bowls. Plus...we only lost to them by a point and if our QB had not gotten hurt later in the season that would have been our only loss of the season. I've never liked OSU. Especially when Cooper was their coach. It was so sweet when we (UT) beat OSU in the 1996 Citrus Bowl. He actually blamed the loss to Tennessee on cleats!! Said UT cheated and used illegal cleats. It was hillarioius. Anyway...I just hope this next game isn't a repeat of the OSU/Miami game. I dont want to see the game decided by a BS call by a retarded ref in the end.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Isn't the National Championship game at night? Can't you put in an 8 hour request? Like I said, you can call in sick and there's nothing UPS can do about it, and obviously, you can live with yourself, so go for it. I'm a Big 10 fan, although Iowa sucked this year, so go Buckeyes! But if I have the route next to you, and I want to watch the game, and I get a split from your route because the cover driver doesn't have the route knowledge that you have, I'm not happy. Yeah, I could call in sick too, so could the whole center, that would really work. Times have changed at UPS, when I started, right out of the service, it was kind of a military mentality. Sometimes it wasn't pleasant, but gratifying when customers would always say, "UPS is the best". I didn't hear that much my last 10 years on the job. The work ethic isn't there anymore, and you can blame management, but I think that's a copout.

I'm a part timer and work twilight.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I won't be calling in for this game because my team is not in the game but I might take the night off because we actually have too many people on my shift and I'm the senior guy so I can opt out that night. I would like to see Florida beat OSU. It is strange cheering for Florida as a Tennessee fan but I like to see the SEC represent in the bowls. Plus...we only lost to them by a point and if our QB had not gotten hurt later in the season that would have been our only loss of the season. I've never liked OSU. Especially when Cooper was their coach. It was so sweet when we (UT) beat OSU in the 1996 Citrus Bowl. He actually blamed the loss to Tennessee on cleats!! Said UT cheated and used illegal cleats. It was hillarioius. Anyway...I just hope this next game isn't a repeat of the OSU/Miami game. I dont want to see the game decided by a BS call by a retarded ref in the end.

Now UT is checked before every game ;)

browned out

Take the day off. Management has asked me to put off surgery to repair torn tendons in my finger until after peak. I did not. Some drivers who are sick are working because they were guilted into it or threatened with termination. A driver in our center had pink eye and was forced to come in by intimidation. Many drivers have complained about missing their kid's plays, baseball games, parent teacher conferences, dinner with their famlies, etc. Our manager is out at 5 regardless of what is happening in our center. They could care less about you. Do what is important to you and bring the center absense average up.:thumbup1: Life is short