The Old Thrift Plan

H

hseofpayne

Oh so hes not working on being a sup? ;) lol
Headed out to trade one issued class B UPS share of stock for almost a full tank of gas and one koozie for my Bud! P.S. The old bastard misspelled "started" too!

Headed out to trade one issued class B UPS share of stock for almost a full tank of gas and one koozie for my Bud! P.S. The old bastard misspelled "started" too!

Have some repect...That's Mr. Old Bastard to you...I was lucky to spell entitlement correct.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I'm no old fart at 43.I had gotten into the thrift plan in 86 and was doing well till we were told we had to get out and invest 1/2 in the stock plan.I have no problem with it,I buy stock weekly thru payroll and enjoy owning it but there are 2 "old farts in my building that never got out of the thrift plan(that's right,we didn't have to get out) and their return was 100% for I think 3 years in a row.

Leftinbuilding

I too was in the old Thrift Plan and rolled it all into stock when that became available. I benefited greatly when it went public, but recently have become frustrated with the stagnation. Up a buck, down a buck. No real growth, and to be honest, no real potential for growth. Unless the competition folds, UPS has pretty much maxed out. Not being negative, only trying to be realistic. Anyway, said all that to say, I rolled out of UPS and into some other investments last week. After talking to my investment guy, it was a no-brainer. Time to get off the treadmill and start making some money. Only regret is, I didn't do it sooner.

H

hseofpayne

I'm no old fart at 43.I had gotten into the thrift plan in 86 and was doing well till we were told we had to get out and invest 1/2 in the stock plan.I have no problem with it,I buy stock weekly thru payroll and enjoy owning it but there are 2 "old farts in my building that never got out of the thrift plan(that's right,we didn't have to get out) and their return was 100% for I think 3 years in a row.
Seems like I remember back then that UPS was tired of paying the administrative(big word) costs and wanted out. Anybody else remember why?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was a long time ago and I don't recall the details as I was a new driver at that time and he was on his way out the door but I was told that he cashed in his thrift plan and put it all in to stock and went from $180K to $1.2M. I have to admit that I just did the math and the numbers just don't add up. $180,000/$20 (IPO price) = 9000 shares. 9000 shares which he then sold when the stock jumped to $80 netted him $720,000 so I guess the figures which were told with the story must have grown with each telling. While the figures may not be accurate I do know that he made a substantial profit as a result of the IPO. Sorry for the post but the gist of the story is that he made a killing on the IPO.

J

JonFrum

And let's all remember to deduct for the negative effects of inflation, taxes, and Overseas Partners Limited (OPL.)