The one thing that really distinguishes UPS

Dfigtree

The Human Side of Business Longevity
Allen Hill, Senior Vice President, Human Resources
(http://ups.com/pressroom/us/speeches/speech/0,2165,659,00.html)

The one thing that really distinguishes UPS from many companies is how the values that were brought into the business early on have been carried through from one generation to the next.

They’re values that are well received in other countries and cultures as well.

And they’re values that have grown a distinctive business culture that’s had a profound impact on the company’s success.

As I mentioned, it all started with a teen-age entrepreneur who had a dream.

Jim Casey went through some harrowing times in launching that dream - even a Wild West shootout.

Before setting up shop in Seattle, Jim and a couple of partners tried to launch a similar service in the gold mining town named appropriately enough -- Goldfield, Nevada.

In the mining camps of Nevada in those days, arguments were often settled with guns.
Unfortunately, while on his bicycle one day, one of Jim’s partners had the misfortune to accidentally run into one of the town’s bad guys who shot and killed Jim’s partner on the spot.

From this several lessons were incorporated into Casey's value system. Shoot first, ask questions later. And, since this guy was shot for no reason. A bad guy just decided to shoot him. You don't need a reason to shoot someone. Just shoot. I suppose that's part of the legacy, too. The one thing that really distinguishes UPS from many companies is how the values that were brought into the business early on have been carried through from one generation to the next.

Lobofan5

Feeling better about my job... did you guys catch this in his speech?

You’ll find other UPSers who are dispatching drivers for Papa John’s pizza trucks.

I wonder how long the bid list is for THAT job....:lol: