The only thing I've learned while working at UPS

fordno16

Took me awhile to learn this, but...

If you want/need a day off or two, don't ask, just call in.

Once again, naive old me tried to "do things the right way" and ask for a day off to visit a friend in the hospital. My request was denied of course. Show up to work on the day I wanted off and of course, I wind up staying late again to cover for everybody else that called in.

Never asking again.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You have so much more to learn.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1451601403.961824.jpg

The hardest thing for me to get over was the "run and gun" attitude. First couple of years it was fine because they would let me go home. Then we got some new On Car Sups and they insisted on making me go help every night, even letting the lesser seniority employees go home prior to me until I caught wind of it. Now I just stick to the methods to the T and take my lunch between the 3rd and 5th hour, which really does make a big difference in your day trust me. The more you do the more they expect from you, so do whats best for you. Happy New Years!!!!!!

WorknLateHuh

I'm sure I do. Anything stand out that you care to fill me in on?

The more work you give me the slower I go. The less you care about numbers the easier your job will be, physically and mentally. Be thorough, stay focused, and keep a good work ethic. simple as that

This is the least stressful job I've ever had.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I learned that nobody in this outfit is untouchable. If you think you are all that and a bag of chips, and can't or won't be replaced, well, think again. It doesn't matter if you've been here 30 years or you run 2 hours under every day, there are people waiting in line to take your job, and accept less money to do it. Same thing goes for hourly as well as management.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've learned lots of things while working for UPS. The two biggies are....

Highly educated individuals, in positions of high responsibility, don't mean a thing if they are restricted to running things based on metrics on spreadsheets that are generated by people sitting in a corporate office that is hundreds/thousands of miles away.

It really is possible to make more than $95k in one year simply by walking packages to people's front doors.

Last edited:
The hardest thing for me to get over was the "run and gun" attitude. First couple of years it was fine because they would let me go home. Then we got some new On Car Sups and they insisted on making me go help every night, even letting the lesser seniority employees go home prior to me until I caught wind of it. Now I just stick to the methods to the T and take my lunch between the 3rd and 5th hour, which really does make a big difference in your day trust me. The more you do the more they expect from you, so do whats best for you. Happy New Years!!!!!!
You might want to change that avi of yours around here...

S

selfcancelsignal

Took me awhile to learn this, but...

If you want/need a day off or two, don't ask, just call in.

Once again, naive old me tried to "do things the right way" and ask for a day off to visit a friend in the hospital. My request was denied of course. Show up to work on the day I wanted off and of course, I wind up staying late again to cover for everybody else that called in.

Never asking again.
This is so dumb. You ask for a scheduled off & they deny it. Sometimes they grant it, but tell you you're on call. "No, I have a doctor's appointment 45 minutes away mid morning, I won't be able to come in." Then they try to call you 'cause they're in a jam & they change your status from scheduled off to called in (like you're sick). Classic just more stupid management tactics when you try to do it the right way! I know exactly what you're getting at.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've learned the highest paid union employees at my small hub do the least amount of actual work.
Yes and no. The top seniority drivers usually take extended routes with less packages and less stops. But they also have to deal with crappy roads in the winter, or the mud after it rains. Some are the lasts ones in at night because they drive 300+ miles everyday. I prefer not to deliver extended areas