The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at UPS

browned out

In 1993 The University of Illinois Chicago conducted the following study. It has been 20 years and much has changed. A new study or follow-up would be very eye opening. I think the Teamsters Union should put a link in the teamster magazine or send an email to all UPS employees with the same questions asked in the study. I am contemplating contacting as many colleges as possible to inquire about a follow up or new research project. The finding should be very interesting.:grouphug:

http://pupsinc.homestead.com/Univ_of_IL_study_on_UPS_Package_Car_Drivers.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Re: The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at U

I just rub one out before work and I'm fine.

retired2000

Re: The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at U

Retired in 2000,still have nightmares about ups just about every night!!

Rico

Funny you say that. Its been fifteen years since I drove, and one of my stress dreams is still UPS related.

p228

Cliff notes?

browned out

I tried to edit it to try to make it easier to read. It did not edit. It is an interesting read. Read a little at a time. If someone can clean it up or post a good link to the PDF; i would appreciate it.

Adobe PDF

The Illinois Occupational Health and Safety Center ... represented at United Parcel Service (UPS). ... Isaac Ray Center, RPSL Medical Center
pupsinc.homestead.com/Univ_of_IL_study_on_UPS_Package

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

To sum it up, the job sucks!

balland chain

In 1993 The University of Illinois Chicago conducted the following study. It has been 20 years and much has changed. A new study or follow-up would be very eye opening. I think the Teamsters Union should put a link in the teamster magazine or send an email to all UPS employees with the same questions asked in the study. I am contemplating contacting as many colleges as possible to inquire about a follow up or new research project. The finding should be very interesting.:grouphug:
A Joint Occupation / Environmental Program ofThe Division Of Environmental HealthIllinois Department of Public HealthThe Illinois Occupational Health and Safety CenterThe University of Illinois at ChicagoSchool of Public Health (M/C 922)2121 W. Taylor Street, Room 215Chicago, Illinois 60612-7260(312) 996-7887 Fax: (312) 413-7369Health Hazard Evaluation Report 93-004Initial Finding and Recommendations Concerningthe Psychological Effects of the Working Conditionsof Package Truck Drivers at United Parcel Service ...​

See Post #1 for the rest
Thanks for posting that.. I am going to print it out and take it with me to my next Psychiatry appointment so my Doctor can see exactly what I have been talking about..

Babagounj

Strength through joy

My god man, find a new hobby .

DOK

The job is not for everyone, people should quit if they feel its too stressful, it's not worth your health. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of jobs with more stress, emt, cop, brain surgeon, any surgeon, fire fighter, soldier, etc, come to mind. This is America, you can choose what career path you want.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The job is not for everyone, people should quit if they feel its too stressful, it's not worth your health. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of jobs with more stress, emt, cop, brain surgeon, any surgeon, fire fighter, soldier, etc, come to mind. This is America, you can choose what career path you want.

You know every job is different and has its own stresses but people really tend to over look doctors and such.

My wife will soon be putting people to sleep for a living. Want to talk about stress. Wait until someone's kid is dying on your table and u have to figure out what to do.

If I'm having a rough day I just think about what she could be going thru and my problems become pretty minor.

balland chain

Speaking for myself, I can handle the stress of the JOB itself.. However when management intentionally induces additional stress via threats & harassment that is where I feel they cross the line.. A friend who has a very high up position with a large city's police force, has never been threatened or harassed. In speaking with him about my job, he too has stated that is crossing the line ..Another example, my niece is an anesthesiologist , she has an extremely stressful job, but she has NEVER been harassed or threatened . I don't know any of our brave soldiers, but I can not imagine what they go thru, I think if they were threatened by a superior, they could go to that persons superior and something would be done.. At UPS, nothing is done, except the higher ups give him/her a pat on the back.. You are correct, some jobs are much more stressful, however how many days do they go to work and get physically sick because a manager has made horrible accusations towards them that were not true, and the Union did nothing and that person had to seek medical care because their blood pressure was over 160 ??? It is uncalled for, it is terroristic, and it should be stopped.. All they have done and continue to do is create a very hostile work environment..

InsideUPS

You know every job is different and has its own stresses but people really tend to over look doctors and such.

My wife will soon be putting people to sleep for a living. Want to talk about stress. Wait until someone's kid is dying on your table and u have to figure out what to do.

If I'm having a rough day I just think about what she could be going thru and my problems become pretty minor.

My wife is also an R.N. Brownslave688..... however....with your wife becoming a CRNA.... you won't have to be working/stressing much longer..... nurses make excellent wives btw... and yes...medical professionals do have extremely stressful jobs..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My wife is also an R.N. Brownslave688..... however....with your wife becoming a CRNA.... you won't have to be working/stressing much longer..... nurses make excellent wives btw... and yes...medical professionals do have extremely stressful jobs..

Lol everyone keeps asking if I'm quitting when she gets out. I first tell them since her school loans are most people's mortgage no time soon.

I also really like this job on some days. I could never not do anything. I'd be miserable. Article 22 sure I would like that. Not working? Not an option.

Integrity

Binge Poster

See post 1​
browned out,

Thanks.

Very informative.

Sincerely,
I

preload1

Real stupid waste of everyone's time B.O.

InsideUPS

As with all scientific articles....either read the Abstract or the Conclusion first.. Basically the study in a "nut shell"... (Hoaxterism)
CONCLUSIONS:
Job stress is a significant health hazard for UPS Package Truck Drivers. These workers scored in the top 91% of the population on the Global Stress Index. These symptoms are consistent with the higher scores on the job strain scale and higher levels of physical and psychological stress reported by Dr. Janet Cahill in her 1990 survey of Postal Workers.
Job characteristics known to cause stress, and similar to those found at the UPS Service, are present in significantly greater frequency for UPS Package Truck Drivers than for the general working population.
The costs associated with this occupational hazard will be measured by decreases in the quality of life for the employees and their families as well as likely increased workers compensation and health insurance/disability costs to the employer and the society as a whole. Initial evaluation of UPS national workers compensation experience would indicate that the rates for its entire workforce are increasing yearly. From 12,305 lost time claims in 1990 (7.6% of workforce) to 14,280 claims (7.98%) in 1992. When Package Truck Drivers are looked at in isolation it would appear that for broken/crushed, cuts/bruises, and puncture/abrasions UPS rates are some 3 times those for workers in similar jobs in the U.S.

raceanoncr

Isn't this like preaching to the choir?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

Meh...I know plenty of people that love their job, plenty of people who hate their job, and myriad of in between. Conclusion: totally subjective. If you're a worry wart, this job isn't going to be easy for ya. If you have a good attitude and are good about letting things go, this job will allow you to achieve your dreams.