The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at UPS

Necropostophiliac

Re: The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at U

In 1993 The University of Illinois Chicago conducted the following study. It has been 20 years and much has changed. A new study or follow-up would be very eye opening. I think the Teamsters Union should put a link in the teamster magazine or send an email to all UPS employees with the same questions asked in the study. I am contemplating contacting as many colleges as possible to inquire about a follow up or new research project. The finding should be very interesting.:grouphug:

Did you type all that? I am impressed if you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

wgf46

Great information. UPS is a frugal but SMART Company, they know exactly what they are doing. The mind games they play are intentional, management is trained in a particular way to manage in a way that creates the stressful work place. The environment they create is one of the reasons they compensate so well with pay and benefits, it helps to offset the stress but long term it depreciates an employees overall health.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Re: The Psychological Effects of the Working Conditions of Package Truck Drivers at U

As with all scientific articles....either read the Abstract or the Conclusion first.. Basically the study in a "nut shell"... (Hoaxterism)
CONCLUSIONS:
Job stress is a significant health hazard for UPS Package Truck Drivers. These workers scored in the top 91% of the population on the Global Stress Index. These symptoms are consistent with the higher scores on the job strain scale and higher levels of physical and psychological stress reported by Dr. Janet Cahill in her 1990 survey of Postal Workers.
Job characteristics known to cause stress, and similar to those found at the UPS Service, are present in significantly greater frequency for UPS Package Truck Drivers than for the general working population.
The costs associated with this occupational hazard will be measured by decreases in the quality of life for the employees and their families as well as likely increased workers compensation and health insurance/disability costs to the employer and the society as a whole. Initial evaluation of UPS national workers compensation experience would indicate that the rates for its entire workforce are increasing yearly. From 12,305 lost time claims in 1990 (7.6% of workforce) to 14,280 claims (7.98%) in 1992. When Package Truck Drivers are looked at in isolation it would appear that for broken/crushed, cuts/bruises, and puncture/abrasions UPS rates are some 3 times those for workers in similar jobs in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...tions-of-package-truck-drivers-at-ups.349845/

^^^This.

I used to write those papers, and this is the very first thing you do when you read them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Stress, depression, anxiety, family problems, if this is for package car drivers only, god knows what an updated (post 97) for management looks like.

S

serenity now

could have condensed it to: UPS is a company run by fear and intimidation

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

The job is not for everyone, people should quit if they feel its too stressful, it's not worth your health. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of jobs with more stress, emt, cop, brain surgeon, any surgeon, fire fighter, soldier, etc, come to mind. This is America, you can choose what career path you want.
While I do agree with your post, those jobs actually make a difference between life and death for people. What we do should not, no one will die if their QVC does not arrive. Its made to be a whole lot worse than it needs to be, by people who want your life to be stressful. Who want you to be beholding and grateful to have the best job around. We already know that, I don't know why we have to kiss the golden goose.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

Great information. UPS is a frugal but SMART Company, they know exactly what they are doing. The mind games they play are intentional, management is trained in a particular way to manage in a way that creates the stressful work place. The environment they create is one of the reasons they compensate so well with pay and benefits, it helps to offset the stress but long term it depreciates an employees overall health.
You are right, but just because we get paid well , doesn't mean they have the right to threaten and mentally beat people down. A fair days work for a fair days pay !! But the Empire thinks we are all out to screw them ,most people I know do a dam good job for the money Brown pays them !!

browned out

While I do agree with your post, those jobs actually make a difference between life and death for people. What we do should not, no one will die if their QVC does not arrive. Its made to be a whole lot worse than it needs to be, by people who want your life to be stressful. Who want you to be beholding and grateful to have the best job around. We already know that, I don't know why we have to kiss the golden goose.

UPS does place undue stress upon its employees. This will and more than likely has resulted in deaths. This is a life or death job. Most drivers are not so concerned about thier own lives being in jeopordy. The real concern is for the life of the child that runs out in the street, the teenager who runs a red light, the kid who is riding his bike no hands while texting or any other serious accident that every UPS driver avoids on a daily basis. The driving job requires 100% concentration and safe driving practices or some innocent person could be killed. No driver needs to harassed or stressed to the point where it affects the safety of the public. The job is physically and mentally stressful enough without the added weight of the harassment.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Quite interesting. I always thought our union leaders and stewards should pay more attention to the psychological aspects of the job. For example, anyone receiving an OJS should be aware of the Hawthorne effect.

The introduction says it all, it's not that job is stressful, rather it's management creating stress.

Union: Are you listening? Have you address telematics in the new contract?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

UPS does place undue stress upon its employees. This will and more than likely has resulted in deaths. This is a life or death job. Most drivers are not so concerned about thier own lives being in jeopordy. The real concern is for the life of the child that runs out in the street, the teenager who runs a red light, the kid who is riding his bike no hands while texting or any other serious accident that every UPS driver avoids on a daily basis. The driving job requires 100% concentration and safe driving practices or some innocent person could be killed. No driver needs to harassed or stressed to the point where it affects the safety of the public. The job is physically and mentally stressful enough without the added weight of the harassment.

Amen. There have been times in my own vehicle on my own time without a doubt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would have chased that person down, and threatened to beat their arse, and maybe yanked them outta the car. if they do to me what they do to me when I am in a UPS vehicle. I have to watch everyone elses kids, I already raised mine, maybe they should start. It is not Ok to pull into a lane from anywhere and stop with 4 ft of your 6 ft car in my lane, and then look up from your phone and give me the finger..................Things have changed just since I started driving and not for the good. The biggest problem we have is the illiterate public, not basketball hoops in the street, not backing, not tree limbs, not intersections, its stupidity. And no safety meeting can fix that. Because the safety meeting is given to the wrong people. I have successfully avoided my share, I just hope I am gone before I lose it to a idiot.

DS

Fenderbender

I had a late air today.I thought it was a 12:00pm commit,it was 10:30.
When I go in tomorrow,my keys will not be in my car,I will have to see my sup,
and get the 3rd degree before they let me go.I may get a days suspension,because
I've done this a couple of times lately.I will never serve it.
It seems to me that it would be safer to discipline drivers at the end of the day,
so they would be less stressed out during the day.The guys with all the money
miss a lot of obvious things that create an unsafe working environment.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I had a late air today.I thought it was a 12:00pm commit,it was 10:30.
When I go in tomorrow,my keys will not be in my car,I will have to see my sup,
and get the 3rd degree before they let me go.I may get a days suspension,because
I've done this a couple of times lately.I will never serve it.
It seems to me that it would be safer to discipline drivers at the end of the day,
so they would be less stressed out during the day.The guys with all the money
miss a lot of obvious things that create an unsafe working environment.

Tell them to get out of the last century and install PAS. That or give you a printout of air pkgs and commit times in the morning. I would have trouble figuring out commit times without EDD.