THE REALITY OF THE U.P.S. CONTRACT

Irishman Collins

I don't care. You are nuts.
I assume this guy is nuts as well. The point is brothers and sisters. Regardless of whether you are a vote yes or no person doesn't matter. What matters is if this passes you will be participating in an "unsustainable plan" and this is unacceptable in my opinion!

upschuck

Question : If you think that Teamcare is unsustainable, then why do you think the "much better" UPS plan is sustainable? They are meeting in 2016(?) to relook and tweak the HC contributions. They could cut UPS's plan then too, and no vote.

Irishman Collins

Question : If you think that Teamcare is unsustainable, then why do you think the "much better" UPS plan is sustainable? They are meeting in 2016(?) to relook and tweak the HC contributions. They could cut UPS's plan then too, and no vote.
There is a difference between possible cuts and an "unsustainable plan", one is a possibility and the other a definite. In addition, if our health care is in the hands of the Union and Central States there is nothing a member can do to express his grievance if changes, cuts occur. Currently if the Company changes the conditions of our health care this can be grieved and correct me if i am wrong but we currently still have the ability to take strike action if the company breeches the contract.

Stonefish

There is a difference between possible cuts and an "unsustainable plan", one is a possibility and the other a definite. In addition, if our health care is in the hands of the Union and Central States there is nothing a member can do to express his grievance if changes, cuts occur. Currently if the Company changes the conditions of our health care this can be grieved and correct me if i am wrong but we currently still have the ability to take strike action if the company breeches the contract.

And if you do strike under the company plan they cut your benefits. that didn't happen to people in the Central States Plan in 97. Also the Company can change your benefits it is subject to the summary plan description and the trustees of the plan. You know this B.

Irishman Collins

And if you do strike under the company plan they cut your benefits. that didn't happen to people in the Central States Plan in 97. Also the Company can change your benefits it is subject to the summary plan description and the trustees of the plan. You know this B.
The company has to meet with local Unions before changing any current plans and the issue can be grieved currently. In 97, we had leadership willing to fight for its members. Now it is far from it. If we were to strike today. We might as well put picket signs outside of the Marble palace because believe me. If strike authorization is granted do you think all of a sudden the I.B.T. will back their members who do not want this "Unsustainable Health Plan", Hell no, they will blame it on the "stupid members who just don't get it." So i feel pretty comfortable that with this current administration we will never strike.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just be glad a lot of us are going to be retiring in the next 5 to 15 years, cause its going to get so much more terrible for the guys and gals coming up in the next 20 years.

Irishman Collins

Jumpman, that is one of my points. As this health plan becomes unsustainable. There will be no one retiring. The minimum age to retire with benefits will increase as the plan becomes unsustainable. You will be lucky to retire at a reasonable age in 5 to 15 years

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't speak for Irishman Collins, despite 407's disillusion (I think he believes we are one in the same, poor fella), I know UPS is in a much better position to absorb and maintain the plan financially than the Central States and the IBT.
In the Central Region where I reside, we would be able to strike the company if they failed to maintain the plan at the same level from the 1st day to the last of the collective bargaining agreement.
The company, under their plans, have had the right to reduce our level of benefits in all of the previous contracts but haven't saw fit to even try.
In light of record profits in an expanding market, the company would be hard pressed to make a case to reduce benefits.
Instead, the company has shouldered the increasing financial burden throughout the duration of those agreements.
What has happened to make us think that they couldn't continue to shoulder that burden for a workforce who mortgages their bodies to make UPS million$?
How can we possibly think locking the company into a predetermined, defined, 5 year financial healthcare obligation to be a good thing for UPS Teamsters in light of the undeniably unstable trends of the healthcare industry?