The Results are In

thedownhillEXPRESS

That certainly is a perk that keeps me here.
When you add up sick and personal/floating holidays, its basically 6 weeks paid off.
When that goes its time to retire.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

That certainly is a perk that keeps me here.
When you add up sick and personal/floating holidays, its basically 6 weeks paid off.
When that goes its time to retire.

This is basically the only reason I have stayed so long. I don't want to start over with vacation time...still sucks that I can't get the weeks that I would like, but I make up for it in quantity of days off available.

vantexan

Van, of course we deal with late dispatch and cutoff times to be back at the building. Yes we have hazmats and internationals. And yes to everything else... Other than the commit times and reloads.

And are you really acting like loading a truck with envelopes is tasking? Btw hd does load their own trucks.

you're welcome for the benefits. Just another reason to cut costs overthere. Thank you for the extra work when it comes. You won't hear me at ground whining about the work load.

Do you have any idea how big air cargo containers are? I've been unloading non-stop several full AMJ's every morning for 3 years now. Don't get me started about belly cans. And loading your own truck isn't the same thing. True, Express doesn't handle near the box freight we once did, thanks to Ground. But we old timers have handled more than our share over the years, going out with a full 700 many a day.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
well the contractors at least. Think about it. How does the company look the investor in the eye and say, "No, 4% yield is good enough. Pay no attention to the division making 20%."?

If guys are willing to take an offer to work for (IMO) chump, there's nothing wrong with offering them as much.

59 Dano

Excerpts from the Q&A session (Seeking Alpha transcript):R1a: Volumes are spoken with just a mere sentence....

Justin B. Yagerman - Deutsche Bank AG, Research Division
When you guys think about your networks, as I see them right now, I mean, especially in Express, in the domestic market, how much of what's being moved in the Express market could really find a home in Ground? And I guess, as you've seen this accelerated Ground growth and continue to see strong margin improvement there, Fred, I think you talked to getting to a 20% goal last quarter. You're there now. Where does the bogey move to? So a 2-part question, how much from Express could move into Ground? And as you get that density, how much better can Ground margins get?

R1a: Gee, either he or I are really adept at seeing a trend (maybe its both).... Folks, if the big institutional investors are asking these questions, they already know the answers, they are just looking at timing so they know when the value of the stock will shift.

Frederick W. Smith

...We work with customers to put their products in the right network that's going to benefit them and, of course, benefit FedEx as well.

R1a: I've been saying this for quite awhile now... Any doubters still exist????

Please put the quote in its proper context.

"...any time you see softness in the economy, you see some mode shift where customers reevaluate their supply chains and look to see if they could rely on a slower mode of transportation in some cases or the lack of a time-definite service. So we do see some of that. We work with customers to put their products in the right network that's going to benefit them and, of course, benefit FedEx as well. So it's hard to put a specific number on that because it gets down to the requirements of individual customers in terms of what their needs are."

Ricochet1a

Please put the quote in its proper context.

"...any time you see softness in the economy, you see some mode shift where customers reevaluate their supply chains and look to see if they could rely on a slower mode of transportation in some cases or the lack of a time-definite service. So we do see some of that. We work with customers to put their products in the right network that's going to benefit them and, of course, benefit FedEx as well. So it's hard to put a specific number on that because it gets down to the requirements of individual customers in terms of what their needs are."

First, Seeking Alpha has a policy of allowing a maximum of 400 words of their transcripts to be used in other sources. There was no need to push that limit.

Second, what you consider context, I consider fluff and misdirection by Fred.

FedEx is actively working with its customers to pull volume out of Express and have it moved by the other FedEx opcos.

There was nothing to hide. To the contrary, the full response by Fred just reinforces the relevant sentence I pasted to BC.

Since you are so adept at defending Fred's actions, why don't you begin to explain to all of the Express employees what they have in store starting this fall and continuing through all of next year?

Ricochet1a

Would you happen to have any names? Sounds odd to me. I still think they want Express business.

As a matter of fact I do....

Frederick W. Smith

From the Q&A from the investors' conference call....

...We work with customers to put their products in the right network that's going to benefit them and, of course, benefit FedEx as well.

FedEx CORPORATION wants the business within FedEx. Right now, Express has the lowest margins of all the opcos (Fred uses the term "network" for the meeting instead of opcos). In case you didn't know, FedEx Corporation is an "Network Integrator" - they offer a variety of networks (opcos) to gain as much market share as possible. The full realization of the integration of the different networks is starting to happen. There is an active campaign within FedEx to have customers shift their volume OUT of Express and into one of the other opcos for movement - since the margins for FedEx Corporation are higher outside of Express.

I believe that you are still using the fallacy of "FedEx is Express". It is NOT. Express is but one opco within the constellation of companies which make up FedEx Corporation - which happens to be performing poorly right now.

I've written God knows how many words of text here regarding this whole plan of FedEx's since late 2009. I can't constantly rehash old statements over and over. It is dependent on YOU, the reader to look at past statements to gain full context and history of discussions that have been made. Dano boy thinks that I have to provide full context within each and every post - if I did that, I'd have posts that run 5000 words long instead of 500-1000.

So here it goes again...

There is a deliberate move by FedEx Corporation to encourage its customers to shift the movement of their volume out of Express and into other opcos. These opcos include Ground, Freight, Office, Custom Critical and even Trade Networks. READ the entire transcript of the conference call and the Q&A session afterwards - it is why I posted a link to it.

I can't spoon feed every single detail within my posts, it is unnecessary and counterproductive - YOU need to do some outside reading to build the "big picture" as to what is happening. I can help to connect the dots, but you have to gather some information out there on your own. I rely upon the intelligence of the reader to do some research on their own (both internet and their own FedEx sources) to fill in as much of the picture as possible.

I'll point out that even "vantexan" has finally seen the big picture - after a couple of years of being in complete denial (I give him credit for doing his outside research and putting the pieces together on his own). I don't state this as a "dig" against Vantexan, but he has done his homework and had finally grasped the full scope of the impending changes.

The readers aren't going to get a link to an internal FedEx document labeled: "Master Plan for Reorganization of FedEx Operating Companies" - and get the whole story spilled out in explicit detail. Simply won't happen. This is why there WAS an investors conference call Tuesday, to give them a bit more of the big picture of what FedEx is planning.

For the "little people" that read this forum, they have to spend a few hours a week reading what is posted here and then combine that with what they find in other public sources and then what they hear within FedEx. Hopefully they can build a picture for themselves and then make plans for their future. In the past, I was hopeful that the wage employees of Express would realize what was going to happen to them and organize - it is too late for that now. Now the only reason I post here is to help those who are on the fence as to what is going to happen, to realize that time is running out, and they'd had better starting making other plans for themselves.

Goldilocks

Agree that changes will be coming this Fall, however do I believe that Fedex Express will go under? NO, They are shifting Express Saver and eventually P2 service over to Ground, which will leave Fedex Express with Priority and Standard Ovenight Service. Fedex Express will be an Express company only. My prediction is that FT Couriers will start later delivering some Priority and SOS and Pickups, like UPS. Part-timers on the sort and delivering FO and Priority and some on the reload. Not sure how the 14 hour rule will apply. Lots of rumors flying around in our District. One being that some Districts will be combined with others. This will eliminate many salary positions. As far as Buyouts for the hourly employees, I dont think so. Its going to be Hit your numbers or its the highway. We have an aging workforce and this will be tough for some. Managers will be offered Buyouts and those who leave will not be replaced. Couriers will be working shifts that they may not like. I remember in 1985 when I first started, Fred S saying this is a no layoff company. Well, times have changed and society has changed. Federal Express has grown up. One of the biggest mistakes that Fedex and other companies make, is when you take away the company from its employees. You take away ownership and pride within the workplace. Many Oldtimers felt that pride and ownership we once had at Federal Express and wish it would come back, but it wont, we have grown up. Do I feel that Fred S has lied to us? NO, many situations are simply out of his control. Although, I do wish that he would address his Workforce via Frontline, no VP's involved, just Fred, like the old days. After all, we helped build this company from ground up with passion and pride and paved the way to make Fedex what it is today.

Goldilocks

Agree that changes will be coming this Fall, however do I believe that Fedex Express will go under? NO, They are shifting Express Saver and eventually P2 service over to Ground, which will leave Fedex Express with Priority and Standard Ovenight Service. Fedex Express will be an Express company only. My prediction is that FT Couriers will start later delivering some Priority and SOS and Pickups, like UPS. Part-timers on the sort and delivering FO and Priority and some on the reload. Not sure how the 14 hour rule will apply. Lots of rumors flying around in our District. One being that some Districts will be combined with others. This will eliminate many salary positions. As far as Buyouts for the hourly employees, I dont think so. Its going to be Hit your numbers or its the highway. We have an aging workforce and this will be tough for some. Managers will be offered Buyouts and those who leave will not be replaced. Couriers will be working shifts that they may not like. I remember in 1985 when I first started, Fred S saying this is a no layoff company. Well, times have changed and society has changed. Federal Express has grown up. One of the biggest mistakes that Fedex and other companies make, is when you take away the company from its employees. You take away ownership and pride within the workplace. Many Oldtimers felt that pride and ownership we once had at Federal Express and wish it would come back, but it wont, we have grown up. Do I feel that Fred S has lied to us? NO, many situations are simply out of his control. Although, I do wish that he would address his Workforce via Frontline, no VP's involved, just Fred, like the old days. After all, we helped build this company from ground up with passion and pride and paved the way to make Fedex what it is today.

Sorry for the Purple letters, wanted Lavender~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

55+

Yes and you should be proud of how you've worked all these years..Too bad Fred didn't give all of us stock throughout all these years ...we wouldn't be having this conversation....

55+

As far as hitting the road for not hitting your numbers...I want to hear about even one person that's gotten as much as a warning letter for not hitting their numbers...I think if someone is legitimately trying to hit their numbers Fedex would really be stupid to try and fire them for it..Especially if the courier is a long time courier.. This numbers crap is all about production harassment and that's all it is..

TUT

As a matter of fact I do....

Frederick W. Smith

From the Q&A from the investors' conference call....

FedEx CORPORATION wants the business within FedEx. Right now, Express has the lowest margins of all the opcos (Fred uses the term "network" for the meeting instead of opcos). In case you didn't know, FedEx Corporation is an "Network Integrator" - they offer a variety of networks (opcos) to gain as much market share as possible. The full realization of the integration of the different networks is starting to happen. There is an active campaign within FedEx to have customers shift their volume OUT of Express and into one of the other opcos for movement - since the margins for FedEx Corporation are higher outside of Express.

I believe that you are still using the fallacy of "FedEx is Express". It is NOT. Express is but one opco within the constellation of companies which make up FedEx Corporation - which happens to be performing poorly right now.

I've written God knows how many words of text here regarding this whole plan of FedEx's since late 2009. I can't constantly rehash old statements over and over. It is dependent on YOU, the reader to look at past statements to gain full context and history of discussions that have been made. Dano boy thinks that I have to provide full context within each and every post - if I did that, I'd have posts that run 5000 words long instead of 500-1000.

So here it goes again...

There is a deliberate move by FedEx Corporation to encourage its customers to shift the movement of their volume out of Express and into other opcos. These opcos include Ground, Freight, Office, Custom Critical and even Trade Networks. READ the entire transcript of the conference call and the Q&A session afterwards - it is why I posted a link to it.

I can't spoon feed every single detail within my posts, it is unnecessary and counterproductive - YOU need to do some outside reading to build the "big picture" as to what is happening. I can help to connect the dots, but you have to gather some information out there on your own. I rely upon the intelligence of the reader to do some research on their own (both internet and their own FedEx sources) to fill in as much of the picture as possible.

I'll point out that even "vantexan" has finally seen the big picture - after a couple of years of being in complete denial (I give him credit for doing his outside research and putting the pieces together on his own). I don't state this as a "dig" against Vantexan, but he has done his homework and had finally grasped the full scope of the impending changes.

The readers aren't going to get a link to an internal FedEx document labeled: "Master Plan for Reorganization of FedEx Operating Companies" - and get the whole story spilled out in explicit detail. Simply won't happen. This is why there WAS an investors conference call Tuesday, to give them a bit more of the big picture of what FedEx is planning.

For the "little people" that read this forum, they have to spend a few hours a week reading what is posted here and then combine that with what they find in other public sources and then what they hear within FedEx. Hopefully they can build a picture for themselves and then make plans for their future. In the past, I was hopeful that the wage employees of Express would realize what was going to happen to them and organize - it is too late for that now. Now the only reason I post here is to help those who are on the fence as to what is going to happen, to realize that time is running out, and they'd had better starting making other plans for themselves.

Your translation is so much stronger then what is being said. What is being said is Fedex wants its customers to use the best solutions Fedex has to get from A to B. It's not, Fedex pretty much encourages you not to ship Express and really wants you to ship ground. What the presser stated was pure common sense. You read it entirely one way and some things are better off not in the Express network, like hot medical isn't a great fit for ground. Surprising!

59 Dano

First, Seeking Alpha has a policy of allowing a maximum of 400 words of their transcripts to be used in other sources. There was no need to push that limit.

Second, what you consider context, I consider fluff and misdirection by Fred.

FedEx is actively working with its customers to pull volume out of Express and have it moved by the other FedEx opcos.

There was nothing to hide. To the contrary, the full response by Fred just reinforces the relevant sentence I pasted to BC.

Since you are so adept at defending Fred's actions, why don't you begin to explain to all of the Express employees what they have in store starting this fall and continuing through all of next year?

I don't defend Fred's actions, I'm adding something to a post because some of us like to see the full context of something when someone else deliberately chooses not to do so. If something is a decent idea, I'll defend it and I don't care whose idea it is. If it's a lousy idea, I'll say it's lousy and I don't care whose idea it is.

OK, for all you Express employees. Express will be yanking a big bunch of slack from the system to improve its operating margin. You read it here first.

59 Dano

That's right. Rico here tells you something, and it's up to you to do the research to prove his point for him. He's not going to put anything in proper context because he's in love with the sight of his own words.