The Revolving Door

LTFedExer

How much with gas and food? Do you live in a scenic moutain area with a mild climate. Feeling poorly, will going to the doctor cost you $25? When you are retired? Can you build a nice home for $50k? Can you play golf in January? Go fishing or hiking when the high up north might be in the teen's or even colder?
I'm just letting you know you can live in a major city for <$1000/month right here in the US. I'm not sure where we'll retire. It could be here in the US or in another country. If you choose to go Mexico, Europe or wherever your heart chooses, I wish you luck. I'm just as content sitting on a beach having a Bud as I am sitting in front of a fire having a hot cup of coffee. Money will not be the deciding factor in our choice. And for the record, no.....neither I or my parents are rich.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't worry. We seem to be making our own third world nation right here in the race to the bottom.

vantexan

Somehow my American dream did not involve retiring to a little hut in a third world country.

That's because you make enough to provide for your dream. By the way Mexico is in North America, and no, I won't be living in a hut. And that third world country has the 11th largest economy in the world. Or 13th, depending who you ask. Point of all this is there are viable options if you need one. Not talking about giving up citizenship. I suspect for some people though it grates on them that people who made considerably less than they did don't have to just stay here and take it. People can try and keep up with the Joneses all they want but when you are the Joneses you kind of expect to be able to lord it over others. How can you if they're off in Mexico living well on less? Not saying you, but I'm betting that factors into some people's thinking. And why some are so angry with FedEx. They've watched others do well while they struggle. I'm angry because I was counting on a better pension. Beyond that, screw it, I'm heading south!

And LTFedExer, I worked with a guy years ago who said I make just as much as he does and he had plenty. Got real angry when I pointed out his wife brought home twice what he did. You guys who make such claims tend to be disingenuous at best. But if you are happy with everything as is more power to you.

LTFedExer

And LTFedExer, I worked with a guy years ago who said I make just as much as he does and he had plenty. Got real angry when I pointed out his wife brought home twice what he did. You guys who make such claims tend to be disingenuous at best. But if you are happy with everything as is more power to you.
1. I don't make statements I can't back up. FYI....I pay less in mortgage than most people pay in car payments.
2. My fiancee makes more than me in base pay. But, with overtime, I make more. She is salary, so that has its own benefits (leave early, go in late, work from home).

vantexan

1. I don't make statements I can't back up. FYI....I pay less in mortgage than most people pay in car payments.
2. My fiancee makes more than me in base pay. But, with overtime, I make more. She is salary, so that has its own benefits (leave early, go in late, work from home).

And yet you only live on less than $1000 in a major city.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My point exactly. Maybe there's no beach here (which I really miss), but 300+ days of sun yearly and a view of the Rockies makes up for some of it

He lives in a refrigerator box in a public park close to the Rockies. The railroad tracks are nearby, so he gets to travel for free whenever he wants. Thanks, FedEx!!

Lucho Kaiser

Thank you for the answer Van, well thought out I appreciate that. Your right, my ancestors did come here as well in search of a better life and found and established one, whats depressing is the uncertainty that I wont have a chance to compete in this economy like they got to. The gap between the rich and poor was better I imagine, now middle class in america retires me to middle class mexico... I guess its tough because I see all my elders retiring comfortably in America, but its very uncertain if Ill have the same opportunities to have that same comfort here.