The Reward For Working Harder Than Everyone Else!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I always find it interesting when someone uses the sups pursuit of productivity as an excuse to steal from the company. Unless you're coding out that 10 second pause each time as a break?:happy-very:

You then roll into using the sups compensation and bad mouthing others with a better work ethic as further justification for your laziness.

The job must bore you to tears if you sit there and deliberately plod like that at work. One thing I always found when I did it was the time went a lot quicker and the job was easier when I kept busy.

If you're counting out 11 seconds all night then the night must take forever. that would be more torturous for me then doing twice the expected work.

Another rational Tieguy response. It takes one second to pull a 25 pound (avg) package, scan it, and find a place to load it? Nice assumption there. Geez dude, you must have been a beast in your hourly days! Oh yeah back then, there was no loader scanning everything. Maybe you're getting old and losing touch with reality? :laughing:
I get paid outside of work to do 5 things at once (drummer 4 limbs one mind), so counting internally is very stress relieving and soothing. Everyone gets frustrated with UPS at points. It should be everyones goal to relieve this frustration. This is my way of staying focused and sharp. I suggest everyone has their own niche.
Anyway back on topic....

ihadit

Tie, stop your crying already and find something else to do during your workday than constantly visiting this site.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Less, let me get this straight. You come to work to take a break from your other work. Do I have it about right? Is it just me or do you think your priorities may be just a little out of whack?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No problems with that in Nevada. I can carry outside my house if I want. With my permit of course.

Nothing personal, but I will stay up here in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, for all of the New York BC members, "upstate" NY is not Poughkepsie, Binghampton, Syracuse or even Albany. Upstate is Plattsburgh, Potsdam, Massena and Lake Placid. What Spitzer called Appalachia.

Leftinbuilding

You can do more work but don't think you should have to?

I'll have to try that approach at work.

whats that you need next friday off , couldn't get a personal and you want to know what my staffing looks like next week?

>>Gee I don't know that sounds like too much work for me to look and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Whats that too much union dues was taken out of your check and you want me to call payroll and find out why?

>>Nah too much work for me to do that and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Tie, aren't those tasks you described in your hypothetical part of your normal duties? Is that extra work for you, or do you just resent being asked to do your job? The OP was talking about doing his own job and then being expected to take work that someone else can't, or won't do. You know as well as I do that supes will go to the people they can depend on when such a situation arises. Very often the people who show up on time, and do a good job every day, end up on the short end. When was the last time you asked a "slacker" to do something extra, and felt confident business was being taken care of?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You know as well as I do that supes will go to the people they can depend on when such a situation arises. Very often the people who show up on time, and do a good job every day, end up on the short end. When was the last time you asked a "slacker" to do something extra, and felt confident business was being taken care of?

This is something that is certainly not unique to UPS. I encountered this during my 8 years in the military and in each of the part time jobs that I held both while going to college and while I was a cover driver.

Leftinbuilding

This is something that is certainly not unique to UPS. I encountered this during my 8 years in the military and in each of the part time jobs that I held both while going to college and while I was a cover driver.

Granted. However, being resentful of consistently being asked to do someone elses work should not be a negative in mgmnts eyes. On occasion everyone has had to jump in and do extra. No prob with that. It is when it becomes expected that feelings arise.

outamyway

It happened at my last job. I was good at what I did so they slowly started adding more work to compensate for the older guy next to me who just barely kept up. They also always asked me to help out in other areas later in the day when I was almost done with my work.

Guess what, I still got paid the same as anyone else, so there is a little resentment in it. Just because I like to keep busy(like Tie stated is a great way to make time fly at work) and take some pride in my work doesn't mean I want to be the one picking up the slackers(which were many)pace.

I am so glad I'm not in the preload anymore cause it was the same thing all over again.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

I'll have to try that approach at work. Whats that you need next friday off , couldn't get a personal and you want to know what my staffing looks like next week? >>Gee I don't know that sounds like too much work for me to look and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Whats that too much union dues was taken out of your check and you want me to call payroll and find out why?

>>Nah too much work for me to do that and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Reality Check Please -

If I were the only person doing this one particular job, I of course would be honored to be given the additional responsibility of more work. Being the Go-To guy. Wouldn't even need an "attaboy" ever. Seriously.

However -
When I've finished unloading my 3rd 56 footer, and I am told to take over for the kid in bay 11 (who just opened his 2nd truck) because he needs a potty break for 20 minutes, I get slightly disturbed.

When I have already finished he truck by the time he returns, I begin to get perturbed. Then I'm asked to go unload air by myself.

And he hets paid the same as I do.
Do I work less because of it? No. Does it disturb me? Yes. If it wouldn't disturb you, then you are a better man than I.

BigBrownSanta

Reality Check Please -

If I were the only person doing this one particular job, I of course would be honored to be given the additional responsibility of more work. Being the Go-To guy. Wouldn't even need an "attaboy" ever. Seriously.

However -
When I've finished unloading my 3rd 56 footer, and I am told to take over for the kid in bay 11 (who just opened his 2nd truck) because he needs a potty break for 20 minutes, I get slightly disturbed.

When I have already finished he truck by the time he returns, I begin to get perturbed. Then I'm asked to go unload air by myself.

And he hets paid the same as I do.
Do I work less because of it? No. Does it disturb me? Yes. If it wouldn't disturb you, then you are a better man than I.

I know this will come across wrong, but I have to ask any ways.

If you are outworking the other guy 3 trailers to 1, what exactly are you looking for? A pay raise? A management position? Are you wanting to stand around after unloading 1 trailer until the "slacker" catches up to your pace? Do you really think management will let you stand there doing nothing? I'm just curious.

You've shown them that you want to work harder than the others, so in a way, really, I guess they're just helping you out.

As long as you are willing to be abused, they will abuse you. It's your choice in how much abuse you are willing to take.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

A sincere "Darn fine job, thanks" would go a long way, I guess. Otherwise, I don't know.

Have you read tieguys posts? His general feeling, aura basically of management, should give you clues. There is no NICE JOB, YOURE ON YOUR WAY...hahaha

Work safely, be productive, be a yes guy, friendly and cooperative. but never for any reason do more than is expected.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Less, let me get this straight. You come to work to take a break from your other work. Do I have it about right? Is it just me or do you think your priorities may be just a little out of whack?

I load over 300 per hour (300 is the "avg") and my friend/t sup says I do a good job. Maybe you're taking over for Tieguy with the nonsense about not working and speaking of a job you have no idea about? Just maybe?

P.S. I'm friend/t at UPS, this is my bread and butter. I recommend everyone paces themselves, works safely and has a good shift(s)

W

westsideworma

You've shown them that you want to work harder than the others, so in a way, really, I guess they're just helping you out.

As long as you are willing to be abused, they will abuse you. It's your choice in how much abuse you are willing to take.

I had a "realization" like that when I was a loader too. During peak I had 5 cars (1700-1800pcs) because they knew I loaded fast, built nice loads and didn't misload. As the supe I had at the time said, you're going to ride the horse that will win you the race or something to that effect. He always said nice job etc and at least he was honest about it. During PEAK I did go above what I normally do because I felt I should. They also never cut me out, I would go elsewhere and help which was fine because I wanted the $$ at the time. I was getting like 7.75 hours a night on a PT shift lol. When they started expecting it of me all the time...I won't lie I backed it down. Can't be like that all the time, just isn't possible or a good idea really.

My fourth peak I was a supe, and I had this reaction (after I had been told they plan all year for it, probably bs), "we have all year to plan for this and THIS is the best we could come up with (starting 30-45 min earlier for about twice the work)?"

Brownnblue

I'll have to try that approach at work.

whats that you need next friday off , couldn't get a personal and you want to know what my staffing looks like next week?

>>Gee I don't know that sounds like too much work for me to look and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Let me preface this by saying I bailed management out of on road problems 5 days out of 5 this week.

I can honestly say that I have zero percent confidence that you or my current center manager would do these things you speak of whether I bailed you out or not.

After 22 years of driving, I can confidently say I have absolutely, positively, no confidence whatsoever in the "you help me, and I'll help you" approach. None. Nada. Zip.

Your serve. And tomorrow has one m.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Let me preface this by saying I bailed management out of on road problems 5 days out of 5 this week.

I can honestly say that I have zero percent confidence that you or my current center manager would do these things you speak of whether I bailed you out or not.

After 22 years of driving, I can confidently say I have absolutely, positively, no confidence whatsoever in the "you help me, and I'll help you" approach. None. Nada. Zip.

Your serve. And tomorrow has one m.

I would have to say then your supervisor or management is "using you". If you truly aren;t getiing nothing out of it..why do you do it? If you don't like it, why have you allowed yourself to become that "go to" person? Just out of curiousity.

I can say I have what I call my "go to" loaders. I go to these folks not because I choose to work them harder but more because I know I can count on them. These people usually take pride in their work as well, so I know the end result is going to be fabulous!

I will also say that when and if that person requires something from me I will certainly try to go out of my way to accomodate them as well. One hand washes the other. I appreciate the work they do and I tell them that. I also talk to them to make sure they are not getting burned out. If they are (and I can tell), I will certainly give them a break.

I do try to try at least two or three people in the areas that we require most on the belt... so that I don't have to burn any one single person out.

My loaders will do just about anything for me...but I also make sure they know that I appreciate and respect them for the work they do for me.

Oh one more thing...I try to bring my loaders bagels, donuts, juice, coffee every so often....