The Right Way Or The Wrong Way

arice11

My first week as a preloader was brutal on my back and sleep schedule, but the worse part was hearing one thing and then another from veterans and newbies.
First off.
Should preloaders rip the stickers off of those felt bags filled with small packages? One guy said yes, some no, another said he didn't care about it, "just throw them on"
Secondly.
Is it acceptable to toss the felt bags aside to focus on the boxes then load them on the belt later? (most said yes but others said no)
Thirdly.
Is is fine to toss boxes with the label facing any which direction?
one guy told me to just toss them on the rollers and let the scanner do the work, saying "he just stands there, lets make it hard for him to catch up"
others told me to always make sure that labels are at least facing the scanner's position, face up, or facing the back of the package.

I'm aiming to learn the ropes with more precision, accuracy, endurance and strength. Though the work is leaving me exhausted most days. hahaha
what a job I found, eh?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Is is fine to toss boxes ?

you must have missed the "hand to surface" part of training.
Also the only three things to remember "Read,Scan,Load" and repeat Read,Sca..............

raceanoncr

You're asking on a forum with thousands of registered users? Seriously? How many answers do you think you'll get? I'm working up a lottery right now. All you that want, chip in a dollar and see how many different answers we get and whoever's the closest, wins.

Seriously...Who taught you? What are proper methods? What do you think's gonna happen if you majorly screw up and say the veterans told you to do it that way? You talked to management about this? You think you can get fired doing the right thing?

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
If this is your first week, think of it this way....
You won't have to worry about all of this after peak, cause they won't need you, or keep you on........
most likely

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The felt bags are called forever bags. If you are asking if you should pull the destination tags off of the inbound bags the answer is yes. If you are asking if you should pull the post office tags off of the bags the answer is no. When you load the belt you should face the labels up to make it easier for the scanner.

Kis124

As a spa person I appreciate the lables being up or where I can see them. We are told to take the lables off the forever bags...and the only time we hold bags is when the de bag area is full. We run 10 bays in the pre-load. Can you imagine the cluster**** if everyone held the bags and sent them last?

DS

Fenderbender
Welcome to the cafe arice,not sure why the # 11 was used,I can't even find an arice #1
Anyhow at ups you can ask your co-workers a question and get a different answer every time.
That's because when you ask a sup a question you get a different answer every time.
You can only care as much as you are allowed to.
Just use common sense and work fast ,but at a comfortable pace.Once they establish how
fast you can go,the workload increases exponentially.
Welcome to ups too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

SPA---Scan Print Apply

PAL---Preload Assist Label

The bag themselves are called "forever bags" but since they are designed to carry smalls they are normally called "smalls bags". These are not the same bags used for Surepost packages being delivered directly to the Post Office which are called "subcontracting bags".

SPA---Scan Print Apply

PAL---Preload Assist Label

The bag themselves are called "forever bags" but since they are designed to carry smalls they are normally called "smalls bags". These are not the same bags used for Surepost packages being delivered directly to the Post Office which are called "subcontracting bags".
You are the greatest of all time

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I always say do it right first, or don't do it at all

At UPS, I have learned that "Good enough" is good enough. It's just business.

You would have been an ideal Teamster.

Let me rephrase my original post to more accurately reflect my thoughts.

Quality is defined as adherence to a predefined set of specifications.

At UPS, we do not get to define what quality is but rather quality is defined as our completion of a task or deliverable within the time and with the resources to a predefined set of specifications and conditions.