The Safety Thread about Distractions from Headphones And In Cab Radios (Package)...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In my state, it is against the law to drive with headphones on, although I see some of our drivers wearing earbuds. We had a State Patrol officer attend a PCM one morning and stated this, but its ignored by some drivers and our management as well. My understanding about company policy regarding radios is that they can be in the cargo area but not the cab. That one is ignored too. I have never carried a radio to work in my 39 years, although sometimes I will listen to the radio on a phone app during lunch.

ArcherUTR

In my state, it is against the law to drive with headphones on, although I see some of our drivers wearing earbuds. We had a State Patrol officer attend a PCM one morning and stated this, but its ignored by some drivers and our management as well. My understanding about company policy regarding radios is that they can be in the cargo area but not the cab. That one is ignored too. I have never carried a radio to work in my 39 years, although sometimes I will listen to the radio on a phone app during lunch.

Times have definitely changed. I would have a difficult time being a happy and efficient driver without something to occupy my mind. I don't spend 5 minutes chit chatting flirting with my customers like the Post Man. I'm pretty much an in and out guy, very little small chat. But my customers appreciate me and know how hard I work.

It must suck that feeder drivers have to keep their CB radios in the TOFC's they are pulling, hard to hear.

What about ear protection without speakers, kind of like the airport guys? We definitely are losing the ability to hear some frequencies in these loud trucks. Are you saying I couldn't wear those?

T

Turdferguson

You get in an accident wearing those and they will come down hard on you

jaker

trolling
I wear a Bluetooth headphones but only one ear , I can't imagine what it's like to not have music now

To me it's just background noise , I don't get involved to the point to where I forget what I am doing and that goes with talking on it also

porkwagon

We can have radios in the cab but it must be secured in a place where it does not obstruct vision while driving so it is not allowed anywhere on the dash. I keep mine hooked on a bungee over where the dvir is.

upsman68

Bluetooth speaker that was my UPS 25 yr anniversary gift

Cellphone to stream my Sirius/Xm, iheart and Radio apps

Cellphone in cab to receive phone calls from mgmt and customers also the wife.

I make it through the day also.

My music is going from the time I make my first delivery, to when I clock out. iPod set on shuffle connected to bluetooth speaker. I don't have to touch it all day long. Not an in-cab distraction whatsoever. Some of my customers have now started calling me the ice cream man since I come down the street playing music. :p

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My music is going from the time I make my first delivery, to when I clock out. iPod set on shuffle connected to bluetooth speaker. I don't have to touch it all day long. Not an in-cab distraction whatsoever. Some of my customers have now started calling me the ice cream man since I come down the street playing music. :p

I do the same thing except I just have my iPod hooked up to a small job site type radio with the rechargeable battery pack. I have playlists for different days with about 11-12 hrs worth of music on each list. It does make the day nicer.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

"Section 8. Radios

Radios will be allowed in package cars. Such radios shall not inhibit the driver’s view, nor shall they be unsecured.

The use of Citizen Band (C.B.) Radios, not to exceed five (5) watts, shall be permitted in all feeder road equipment as follows:

a. Operators of C.B. Radios must conform to FCC rules and reg- ulations and be properly licensed and license be on record with the Employer.

b. Head sets and earphones shall not be allowed."

Why have a contract.... if nobody bothers to read it ?

-Bug-