The "scratch" timer...

calcio56

I've heard the time studies were done in summers, low volume, and anything else that would make the day faster.

Learn the routes you can and cannot make good bonus on. Run them accordingly.

SCV good to go sir.

Shop steward told me early on that the over allowed numbers were bull:censored2: and to not worry about them. I don't, I just work safe and made whatever adjustments to make service. When management talks to me about scratching, I pretend to care but in my head, I'm like, "STFU! I'll get done when I get done."

Rainman

Its all good.
scratch can be achieved by, sorting your truck off the clock, working through breaks, lunch, leaping out of truck without using handrails and sprinting to and from every stop, throwing packages from sidewalk onto persons porch, dr'ing everything, speeding and not following traffic rules, leaving car running and bulkhead door open at every stop....or if u work in the BOG you can run scratch everyday by following the methods. did i leave anything out?
I totally disagree. There are plenty of routes you can't scratch even doing all the above mentioned. Some routes are just totally screwed. Most of the rest are just mostly screwed.

tourists24

I totally disagree. There are plenty of routes you can't scratch even doing all the above mentioned. Some routes are just totally screwed. Most of the rest are just mostly screwed.
Not if u do things by the methods. And your 50. Not including u Upstate lol

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think someone is feeding you a line of BS. Any "idle time" has long since been squeezed out of an allowance for the delivery day. Everyday is a perfect day according to those in charge of numbers----you know-- the ones with their feet on their desks in an air-conditioned office. One of the main reasons someone isn't running scratch or better) is because the numbers on that route are impossible to meet. I never ran scratch on my route for 20+ years---and neither did any vacation driver. Would they fix the problem---hell no----they just continued to add more stops with each new DIAD or program that came along. Every new center manager (and I had my share of them - at least 8 that I can remember) who blew into town said he was going to straighten out that route (blaming me) and would have me change this or that and ride with me and everyone of them ended up after a couple of months telling me to just go back to the way I was doing it. Sometimes they just plain have their heads up their rears so far it impossible to see the problem.
There is time built in, I'm looking at it on the dispatch computer. But like I said it's almost nil

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've heard the time studies were done in summers, low volume, and anything else that would make the day faster.

Learn the routes you can and cannot make good bonus on. Run them accordingly.

Time studies are now virtual using satellite data and map views.

The time allowance for each package, COD, over 70 etc does not change.

The only factors that change are walking distance to office doors and front porches.

Using map views, they can see the distance from the street to the front door of the house or from the parking area to the office door.

Once a particular loop or plat is time studied, the time allowances rarely change.

The distance from the street to the door never changes.

And that is the biggest factor in a time study. How far you have to walk to make the delivery.

Other factors like how many packages you have to deliver are accounted for from the time allowance for each package.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The distance from the street to the door never changes.

And that is the biggest factor in a time study. How far you have to walk to make the delivery.

Other factors like how many packages you have to deliver are accounted for from the time allowance for each package.
I would be interested in the walking speed they use to make the calculations. More of a nerd thing than anything.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The allowance for each route is a complex algorithm that is derived, in part, from 12 monkeys sitting in a room and rolling dice around in their own feces. There are a number of additional factors, of course, but they are top secret and if I told you what they were I would then have to kill you.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The route I was on, I thought couldn't be scratched without cutting corners or working breaks, but I ended up near -.2 to -.6 many days. Not all routes are scratchable, but I do think some are with enough persistence and moving quickly but safely, driving precisely (not speeding). It takes perfect practice and being very savvy driving as well as delivering.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The allowance for each route is a complex algorithm that is derived, in part, from 12 monkeys sitting in a room and rolling dice around in their own feces. There are a number of additional factors, of course, but they are top secret and if I told you what they were I would then have to kill you.

You know nothing, do you?

There are 14 monkeys..........

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is correct. There are some routes that cannot be scratched and you will be out there past 7 every day, by design. These are the routes that juniors normally bid, thinking they have a good route, then find out it's miserable hell. Not sure why an on-road would lie about that, so I believe it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The only time that those numbers matter is when you are trying to become a full time driver.
Once you make book, just safely do your best and take your full lunch.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The only time that those numbers matter is when you are trying to become a full time driver.
Once you make book, just safely do your best and take your full lunch.
Would they even matter for that if you were already long qualified as a part-time driver? I always thought getting a new seniority date was all there is to it.

norcalbrown

I believe the correct phrase in this instance is shooting craps.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Would they even matter for that if you were already long qualified as a part-time driver? I always thought getting a new seniority date was all there is to it.
We don't have part-time drivers here in CT (other than Saturday air drivers).
I would assume you still would have to pass your 30 days going from part time to full time.